Research Waffen SS Infantry Everyday Lifestyle

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Chris Maggos

Research Waffen SS Infantry Everyday Lifestyle

Post by Chris Maggos » 18 Jan 2018, 19:31

And I am researching Waffen SS service lifestyle, and the Waffen SS infantry service, and wondered what and how bad it is like to be these guys out there. Give me some perspective and knowledge of what it's like to be denied soldier before, during, and after. If you have some veterans here, I would love to send them a email but they are reclusive about it because of Jewish Holocaust and they had to carry responsibilities, burden. But if you have reenactment veterans who served in SSVT reenactment and would like to ask them a few questions interview about what's like being with the Waffen SS. I would love to learn anew about the taboos about Waffen SS service. Let me know, I know I am a amateur on it but need help to learn some new subjects about the day to day life of a Waffen SS infantryman. I am enjoying to learn a new subject of unknown history of the everyday SS soldiers. Teach me now, I will interview some veterans and reenacting and tell me everything what happened at that war so I can be endebted and will never become that bad soldier.

John P. Moore

Re: Research Waffen SS Infantry Everyday Lifestyle

Post by John P. Moore » 27 Jan 2018, 00:36

I recommend that you read some good books written by veterans. The most realistic is "Meine Jugend I'm Deutsxchen Reich", written by my friend Fritz Hahl.

https://www.amazon.de/Fritz-Hahl-Jugend ... 394442302X

If you don't read German, then I suggest "Now It Can Be Told" by Philip Gibbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Now-Can-Told-Phi ... ilip+gibbs

Even though this book is about WW I on the Western Front, the vivid descriptions of the hardships and horrors described by front-line soldiers on both sides could have easily taken place in WW II.

At this stage of their lives, I do not know any veterans who want to be reminded of their bad experiences, of which there were many, during the war by people who have absolutely no understanding of what they went through. The horrific deaths of close friends, the sheer terror of artillery bombardment, living outdoors in nasty weather and the killings they themselves did.

War is not a game and anyone who wants to play at being a "re-enactor" ought to have his head examined!

John Moore

Chris Maggos

Re: Research Waffen SS Infantry Everyday Lifestyle

Post by Chris Maggos » 22 Apr 2020, 01:43

Thank you for the help. How can I miss that? I appreciate your help. I have been busy for 5 years, and I apologize for my absentness. I will get the English book about how bad combat in WW2 can be, I appreciate your research.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”