Gebirgsjägerregiment 138 at Velikije Luki?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Brian R

Gebirgsjägerregiment 138 at Velikije Luki?

Post by Brian R » 25 Jan 2018, 05:29

Guys - Please help me with the specifics on this. I have gone through all of my books and various pages on the web and am still confused about the involvement of Gebirgsjägerregiment 138 during the fighting at Velikije Luki, specifically in late November. By November 26th the town was surrounded - the Soviets had moved past it to both its north and south. On this day there was intense fighting, and I'm guessing it was the first relief operation (driven very much by 8. Panzer-Division, or elements of it, since leaving the vicinity of Cholm). Now, was Gebirgsjägerregiment 138 fighting to push out of the encirclement - were they in positions between the main body of 83 Infanterie-Divison to the west, but east of the surrounded elements of GR 277 - or were they actually pushing east to help relieve the garrison? I have seen reference to a place called Waraxino, but I can't actually figure out where it was - something that is not unusual when looking at period German translations or interpretations of Russian place names. Can anyone put me in the right direction on this? As always, I'm greatly appreciative!!

Best,
Brian

GregSingh

Re: Gebirgsägerregiment 138 at Velikije Luki?

Post by GregSingh » 25 Jan 2018, 07:04

Varaksino does not seem to exist anymore.
It can be located on Soviet map from 1941 - in red circle.
I don't know how accurate is the other map I attached, but this village seemed to be where parts 83. ID were encircled, just south of 3. Gebirgsjäger-Division [3rd Mountain Division] encirclement.
Varaksino.jpg
Varaksino
OEF-map-2.jpg
15 Dec 1942

Dunnigan

Re: Gebirgsjägerregiment 138 at Velikije Luki?

Post by Dunnigan » 26 Jan 2018, 16:57

The only information I have is that GJR 138 was part of Gruppe Klatt: II. and III./GJR 138, 11./IR 251, and 1./AR 183. I don't know if I./138 was also part of it.

There's not many books that have details on this battle. Franz Kurowski's Deadlock Before Moscow: Army Group Center, 1942/1943 has some of the better information on it, if not disjointed.

Brian R

Post by Brian R » 07 Feb 2018, 03:59

Gentlemen - My apologies for the delay in responding. I appreciate your replies and they have helped me get a better picture of the regiment's fighting in the area at the time. I also picked up a copy of Deadlock Before Moscow - a book that I have always been aware but always stayed away from due to its bad reviews. It is, however, quite helpful as a reference rather than a book to read from cover to cover.

Thanks again!

Brian

tigre

Post by tigre » 09 Feb 2018, 20:49

Hello to all :D; a little more..............................

GJR 138 at Welikije Luki 1942/3.

At the time of the encirclement of Welikije Luki the 83. ID’s deployment was as follows: to the right (south) Group Schröder against the road’s hub; then the Jäg Btl 3 north of it. In the GR 251’s sector (under Oberstleutnant Giehl) CP at Tschernosem with the I./ AR 183 (Maj Pagel); the II./ GR 251 at Kosstelewo; then the III./ IR 251 in the strongpoint "Münsingen" with its Staff at Teleschnikowo. The GR 257 (Oberst Meyer) reinforced with the II./ AR 183 (Hptm Liedke), the Stug Brig 237 (Maj Bodo-Spranz) and Werfer-Lehr-Regt 51 established a Kampfgruppe north of Teleschnikowo wit its CP at Kobylino. Far to the north along the railway, was covering the Sich Btl 343. The reinforced GR 277 in Welikije Luki.

25 November 1942. In the Jäg Btl 3’s sector, hostile infantry supported by tanks pressed against Jeschewizy and attacked the positions of the 2. and 3./ AR 183; three soviet tanks were destroyed at point blank and the infantry was split from its tanks. Leutnant Behrens (2./ AR 183) fell. Nevertheless the position was held. The III./ GJR 138 was brought into action and four batteries of the GAR 112 opened fire during the night; with those reinforcements a new defensive line was established.

26 November 1942. South Sector: The Jäg Btl 3 was retreating along all its line with heavy casualties. Kosstelewo (II./ GR 251): was under heavy hostile fire; enemy tanks were advancing westwards. Within the I./ AR 183's firing positions, German assault guns had destroyed five Russian tanks. At 11:00 hours the enemy coming from Brjuchny had attacked Tschernosem in order to seize it. It could be rejected by means of a counterattack carried out by the Radfahr Schwadron 183, HQ Company of GR 251 and parts of GJR 138. At Teleshnikowo (I./ GR 257) and Strong Point Münsingen (11./ GR 251) heavy fights during the night. Lot of nerves. Leutnant Forst fell and one NCO took command there. Later Münsingen had to be left to the enemy. Around Teleshnikowo the brave Regimental Adjutant gathered the remnants establishing a new defensive line there. The troops took cover behind snow’s walls or in foxholes. At Grizkowo the positions till now manned by troops of FEB 183 and a company of Pz Jäg Abt 95 were left by nightfall and the remnants marched towards Welikije-Luki. The Panzerzug (armored train) was sent from Novossokolniki to Osstrianj in order to join with Group Meyer and resupply it. The railroad was blown up around Noskowo so the train could not proceed further. Group Meyer was quickly encircled without rations.

27 November 1942. In the southern sector and northwest of Tschernosem the enemy was moving from east to west towards and on the railway. The liaison with the Jäg Btl 3 went lost. Group Klatt (GJR 138 reinforced) and Group Giehl (GR 251 reinforced) fighting against great number of enemy’s troops with changing situations. Group Meyer (GR 257 reinforced) held its lines within the cauldron around Teleschnikowo – Schelkowo – Markowo. Fedkowo was counterattacked.

28 November 1942. Through frosts and storms of snow an enemy attack towards Tschernosem was rejected thanks to the aid of Geb AR 112 firing direct shots. Combats of GJR 138 and GR 251 in Ptachino. Seven hosile tanks destroyed by artillery rounds in Konjuschki. In the sector of the Meyer Group, in the direction of Münsingen, two tanks had approached in front of the positions of the 3. /GR 257 during the snow's storm; they were destroyed in a counterattack carried out by two assault guns. In the sector of the II. /GR 257 Goruschko was lost. Kobylino was recovered by means of a counterattack.

29 November 1942. In the south the situation without changes. Group Klatt could settle the Russian breakthrough at Sharki and the chance of carrying out a raid towards the encircled Group Meyer seemed possible now. From the north own troops (8. Pz) were closing to Welikije-Luki. Within the city more and more Russian batteries had been placed and its fire grew hour after hour. The attacks against the strong points took place without pause.

Source: Geschichte der 83. Infanterie-division, 1939-1945. Escrito por Reinhard Tiemann

More here: https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic ... e#p1334859

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
image002.jpg
image002.jpg (57.87 KiB) Viewed 2953 times

Ignacio

Post by Ignacio » 10 Feb 2018, 01:29

Hello to all

Here you have an account of the fight at Welikie Luki by the Oberkommando of Heeresgruppe Mitte. Guess you will find useful information.

http://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/de/n ... rid/zoom/1

Regards from Madrid

Ignacio

tigre

Post by tigre » 10 Feb 2018, 05:46

Indeed, thanks :wink:. Cheers. Raúl M 8-).

ReinhardH

Post by ReinhardH » 19 Aug 2018, 07:39

Danke Tigre .. Velikije Luki was my father's initiation to the Ostfront. Trained at the Rainer Kaserne Salzburg 1942 with 137.Reserve GJR, then assigned to GJR138 in Russia late 1942. First there was Velikije Luki, then GJR138 was transferred south to in front of Stalingrad, then the retreat to northeast of the Black Sea in the defensive battles to hold open the corridor for the Caucasus army group to escape being cut off. Nikopol, Melitopol, Taganrog, Woroschilowgrad. Said there were entire towns they retreated through along the way that were so thoroughly German-speaking that the boys thought they were in a German town instead of in Russia .. Wolgadeutsche in Russia, perhaps?. All he ever had to tell me about his time in Russia is what an incomprehensible tragedy that all was.

tigre

Post by tigre » 29 Aug 2018, 05:31

Hello ReinhardH :D; thanks for that interesting complement :wink. All the best. Raúl M 8-).

Hoyt Burrass

Post by Hoyt Burrass » 08 Apr 2021, 16:13

Digging into this subject. The Battles surrounding Velikiye Luki have been an interest of mine for many years.
Can anyone confirm the presence or existence of I./138 GJR at Velikiye Luki.
Forczyk's book lists only II./138 and III/138 (plus some division troops) but does not mention I./138.

I have the 3 GJD kriegstagbuch microfilms, but my German is poor and I'm searching every page image....

any help would be appreciated,

thanks in advance,

Hoyt

Bob Forczyk

Post by Bob Forczyk » 01 May 2021, 19:12

The 1st Battalion was not in Gruppe Klatt. I can't remember if it had already rail-loaded out or was sent to Velizh. It was definitely not at VL as a battalion (there may have been individuals attached to the regiment).

Hoyt Burrass

Post by Hoyt Burrass » 01 May 2021, 21:54

HI Bob,

Thanks for the reply...I can't even find a reference to it in the Kriegstagbuch...I expect you are correct...Do you think it might have been dissolved as part of the Wehrmacht reorganization where one battalion was folded into the other two, and regiments were thereafter composed of two battalions?

I don't know the specific date when that occurred....but it seems a year plus into the Eastern Front is about when such an expedient might have occurred...

Bob Forczyk

Post by Bob Forczyk » 02 May 2021, 02:22

May have been dissolved, but I don't remember. I did that research three years ago. I did get to go through most of the relevant records in NARA, which is one of the reasons I picked the battle. Smaller battles are far easier to research,

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 02 May 2021, 03:23

Confirmed as part of Gruppe Wöhler as of Dec. 19, 1942.

19Dec42.jpg

Hoyt Burrass

Post by Hoyt Burrass » 02 May 2021, 03:58

Thanks GregSingh, What is that source? Not because I doubt it, but because I want it ;-)

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”