SS-Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung Ranks

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Arduino

SS-Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung Ranks

Post by Arduino » 19 Feb 2018, 01:33

Hello,

Was hoping anyone had some insight on which variant of the SS-Schütze and SS-Oberschütze the SS-Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abt. used in 1944? Please provide documentation if possible. Thanks in advance.

Was it :

SS-Panzerschütze
SS-Panzeroberschütze

OR

SS-Panzergrenadier
SS-Panzerobergrenadier

OR

SS-Schütze
SS-Oberschütze

BramvanS

Re: SS-Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung Ranks

Post by BramvanS » 19 Feb 2018, 21:27

Officially:
SS-Panzergrenadier
SS-Panzerobergrenadier

Best wishes Bram

Arduino

Post by Arduino » 21 Feb 2018, 16:07

Hello,

Thx for the reply BramvanS. What source were you able to track down to affirm this?

Harro

Post by Harro » 21 Feb 2018, 19:20

It depended on the branch within the Aufklärungsabteilung. In the Panzerspähkompanie (which is officially an armored unit with black uniforms) and in armoured Nachrichtenzüge.I found the Panzerschütze (but also common SS-Schütze) whereas the "normal" SS-Schütze in the motorcycle, VW and SPW-Kompanien and in the schwere Kompanie even SS-Kanoniere in the IG-Zug.

Arduino

Post by Arduino » 22 Feb 2018, 15:02

Harro wrote:It depended on the branch within the Aufklärungsabteilung. In the Panzerspähkompanie (which is officially an armored unit with black uniforms) and in armoured Nachrichtenzüge.I found the Panzerschütze (but also common SS-Schütze) whereas the "normal" SS-Schütze in the motorcycle, VW and SPW-Kompanien and in the schwere Kompanie even SS-Kanoniere in the IG-Zug.
I thought it may dependent on this. I'll go as far as to provide 1113(gp) Panzer-Aufklärungskompanie Model 1943. Seeing as how this is a SPW-Kp.
you believe it to be SS-Schütze and SS-Oberschütze ?

Harro

Post by Harro » 22 Feb 2018, 15:57

Exactly, here's a nice example for the 3. (le.SPW) Kompanie from the war diaries of the Aufkl.Abt. LAH
P1170446.JPG

Arduino

Post by Arduino » 23 Feb 2018, 22:41

Many thanks Harro, exactly what I was looking for. I have noticed you seemed to specialize in SS-Aufkl.Abt 1 LSSAH, do you know of any way I could get my hands on this manual ? Appreciate any sort of direction or advice you can give.

H.Div 299/11c for the 1944 Armoured Reconnaissance Battalion

And if no luck on that specific manual, how about any late war Aufklärungs manuals ? I dont consider the 1939/40 prim source material I have on this subject to be very credible with regards to the Recon Battalions in 44/45. ALOT seemed to of changed.

Bunker Underground Media

Post by Bunker Underground Media » 19 Jul 2019, 11:53

Hello,
We have recently acquired a collection of Feldpost letters from a soldier attached to a company of Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 16. The collection contains around 100 letters to his wife and family from early 1942 through to late 1944, using 2 main feldpost numbers of 58361 and 57030.
We have just started preliminary research on this material.
Would it be possible for anybody to have any information on Johann (Hans) Hulshoff.
I am willing to share the contents of the correspondence with anybody who is willing to assist with the research. Please contact us with any interest.
David/Bunker Underground Media
Bunker Underground Media

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”