Demining by POWs in Denmark and western Europe

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
DavidFrankenberg

Demining by POWs in Denmark and western Europe

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 11 Apr 2018, 00:55

Hi,

A 2015 danish movie, Land of mine (nominated for the Oscars), deals about the fate of german POWs who demined the beachs of the country after 1945.
It is said in the movie that 2000 german soldiers demined 2.000.000 of mines. The movie depicts the POWs as teenagers.
In the movie 10/14 POWs died whereas only half of POWs actually were wounded / dead in Denmark.

What is the historical accuracy of this movie ?

How many german POWs were used for demining in France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Norway ? How many died / were wounded ? What kind of POWs were sent for demining ? SS ? teenagers ?

Thanks !

kstdk

Re: Demining by POWs in Denmark and western Europe

Post by kstdk » 11 Apr 2018, 01:05

Hello

There is no historical accuaracy or almost none in the movie - it is not the agenda of the instructor to show historical correct and accurate facts - but more to tell how mean and revengefull the danes and the allies were after the war.

This article of a friend of mine answers some of your questions regarding Denmark:

http://www.missing-lynx.com/library/ger ... enmine.htm

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 11 Apr 2018, 02:03

Thank you. I appreciate.

Your friend says :
They had a loss of 149 killed, 165 seriously injured and 167 slightly injured (and even with the term slightly injured. It could mean the loss of an arm or a leg) that was out of a force of about 2600 Pioneers.
So 480 POWs were wounded or killed on 2.600. That makes 18% ... Far from the 50% told in the movie.
No mention about the age of the deminers.

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 11 Apr 2018, 07:47

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 11 Apr 2018, 07:48

Hello

About the age - the soldiers that were left behind to do the dangerous job of removing the mines in Denmark - were all volounteers - were all educated engineering soldiers, so they were able to lay minefields and off course also to remove them again. I would guess the age to be between 20 - 25 - but some even older.

That also do not fit the movie, but then again - that was not the agenda of the instructor.

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 11 Apr 2018, 16:42

POWs or "Disarmed Enemy Forces" (DEF) / "Surrendered Enemy Forces" (SEF) as the americans called them? The British designation was "Surrendered Enemy Personnel" (SEP). By this the allies could get around the Geneva convention on POWs. Yes, they might have been volunteers but don't forget they were "ordered" to stay in or return to Denmark do so after a meeting between Major Holland (british), General Lindemann (german) and the danes. Not all were previous "mine layers" but most if not all were engineer troops.

waleed

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”