Recovery of battlefield graves

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
sons of anzac

Recovery of battlefield graves

Post by sons of anzac » 23 Apr 2018, 04:46

I was watching a youtube segment on the recovery by Russian enthusiasts of battlefield remains and artifacts. I have little doubt the artifacts such as medals goes to buyers, but they seem relatively respectful in the recovery of human remains and as far as Im aware of refer these remains on to the Russian and German war cemeteries to inter.

I'm curious - are there any records of how many remains have been recovered in the last few decades, and have any of these remains been of well known soldiers who had previously just been listed as missing? The German ID tags still seem legible.

Finally, I am astounded how these enthusiasts just nonchalantly dig up and handle bullets, grenades and other explosives that have been sitting, slowly rotting in the ground. Also interesting to see others dig out tanks and other AFV's that had gone into rivers or swamps.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”