203. Inf.Div. in AOK Ostpreußen May 1945

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
hselassi

203. Inf.Div. in AOK Ostpreußen May 1945

Post by hselassi » 06 Jun 2018, 06:05

I was looking over the surrender documents of AOK Ostpreußen and the 203. Inf.Div. is listed with a manpower of 66,182 of which, its Stab Grothe accounts for 30,950 (the only unit with rounded numbers, all others have exact numbers) and includes the 7. Inf.Div. and parts of 28. Jg.Div. How is it that a regimental staff subordinated to an infantry division includes all or parts of other divisions? Was it just a local catch-all unit for destroyed front line units (it was at the point of contact with the Soviets) at the time of surrender (e.g. if the 28th did not have any ranking officers, it was rolled into Stab Grothe)?

Just wondering since it does not make sense but it is from original documents (the same information also appears in another document).

I know it is obscure, but hopefully someone here is a Kriegsende aficionado.

Regards,
/s/ Harry

hselassi

Re: 203. Inf.Div. in AOK Ostpreußen May 1945

Post by hselassi » 24 Jun 2018, 02:18

Sorry for necroposting, but this division has peaked my interest. To hopefully help out, below is the page from German Docs in Russia (reference in watermark at the bottom of the picture) with the division breakdown.

Sincerely,
/s/ Harry
AOK Ostpreussen Surrender TOE 1945 05 09_11.jpg

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”