Fallschirmjäger in Crete confusion

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Dili

Fallschirmjäger in Crete confusion

Post by Dili » 16 Jun 2018, 23:46

Despite the airborne invasion of Crete being well known i have found very different takes regarding the weaponry/composition of 7. Flieger-Division in it.
This are my doubts and lack of information:
- the artillery of 7. Flieger-Divsion included 10,5cm LG40 recoiless gun? some sources say yes other say no only 7,5cm LG40(and 7.5cm Geb36)
- some sources say 5cm PAK 38 were part of Anti tank battalion and or companies beside the 37 PAK, other sources only make reference to the later.
- most sources report an MG battalion but Dr.Niehorster don't http://www.niehorster.org/011_germany/4 ... iv_07.html
- some sources don't include the 5cm mortars in infantry platoon composition others do.
- some sources state the squad had only 1 LMG instead of 2. I doubt it seeing most references to 2.
- I have seen also conflicting information regarding the regimental artillery if it was 7,5cm LG40, 7.5cm Geb36 and even 7,5cm leIG18 - i know of experimental Do-Gerät 10,5cm rockets.

Any more reliable information?

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”