Potential names for Waffen-SS Divisions

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
RegimentNorge23

Potential names for Waffen-SS Divisions

Post by RegimentNorge23 » 05 Aug 2018, 17:09

In a "What if the number of Waffen-SS divisions did not stop at 39. What could be potential names for future divisions?

Harro

Re: Potential names for Waffen-SS Divisions

Post by Harro » 05 Aug 2018, 17:52

That's not "what if" though not much more than propaganda. The new "divisions" were nowhere near divisional strength. Simply battlegroups hurdled together from instructors and students from SS schools, training and replacement units, etc. with catchy names to "boost" morale.
Knipsel2.JPG

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

RE: Potential Names For Waffen-SS Divisions.

Post by Robert Rojas » 05 Aug 2018, 20:44

Greetings to citizen RegimentNorge23, citizen Harro and the community as a whole. Howdy gentlemen! Well sirs (plural), in respect to the introductory posting of Sunday - August 05, 2018 - 7:09am and the subsequent posting of Sunday - August 05, 2018 - 7:52am, old yours truly does find it a bit odd that the 43 S.S. Division might potentially be christened as "REICHSMARSCHALL". I rather imagine that the Luftwaffe might take umbrage with the usage of that title for a Waffen S.S. formation. It's just a passing observation. Beyond that, I could really give a rat's ass about the Schutzstaffel. Finally, at least in terms of topical relevance anyway, I believe the HEER, WAFFEN S.S., FALLSCHIRMJAGER section of the forum might have been a much better fit for the likes of this thread. Well, that's my initial and final cents or pfennigs worth on this wanting topic of interest. In any case, I would like to bid the both of you an especially copacetic day over in old Europe.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :idea: :roll: :|
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

RegimentNorge23

Post by RegimentNorge23 » 06 Aug 2018, 10:55

Thanks, i know they was really under strenght, but say if the war carried on in 46 and beyond.

Harro

Post by Harro » 06 Aug 2018, 17:00

Well, dear and highly respected mr. Rojas, I don't give a rat's ass about "what if" scenario's - or about any SS unit other than the SS-PzAA1 for that matter - I just happened to know that the naming of SS "divisions" went beyond no. 39 ;) BTW, the name "Reichsmarschall" was used because the manpower for the "division" was to come from redundant personnel from the moribund Luftwaffe.

maltesefalcon

Post by maltesefalcon » 06 Aug 2018, 18:11

In many cases the name of the division reflected the region they were recruited from or their makeup. For instance Wiking or Hitlerjugend.
Considering they were gleaning talent from all corners by wars end perhaps SS Kinder or SS-Alte? SS-Gotterdämmerung?

Harro

Post by Harro » 06 Aug 2018, 19:41

47. SS-Rentenalter-Division "Das Letzte Zusammenkratzen"

FransN

Post by FransN » 07 Aug 2018, 22:45

And on the other end of the scale: SS-Kindergarten-Division "Däumling"...😉

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 08 Aug 2018, 05:08

50th SS Division "Tausendjähriges Reich" - this is a "final boss" division that is activated only when the Soviets approach the bunker. Adolf hitler is mounted on a wundewaffen .

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”