Artillery regiment Division Sardinien

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
valentine III

Artillery regiment Division Sardinien

Post by valentine III » 07 Oct 2018, 19:06

Kommando Sardinien or Division Sardinien was formed from XI Sturmbrigade and other units and would become the reformed 90. Panzer-Grenadier-Division.

I am intrigued by how the artillery regiment was formed. As far as I know there were 3 abt: First and second were of the common 10,5 LFH, 15,5 HFH, 10 Gun, but the 3rd is not common at all.

2 batteries of 10,5 LFH on tracked chassis and one of Stug III (from 247 stug Ko). Do anyone know what were those 10,5cm LFH on tracked chasis ??? And what happened to them afterwards.

Many thanks

Alanmccoubrey

Re: Artillery regiment division Sardinien

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 08 Oct 2018, 21:22

Where did you find this information ? According to Nafziger when it actually became 90th Panzergrenadier Divison the artillery regiment did have a III. Abteilung with Wespe and Hummel .
Alan

valentine III

Re: Artillery regiment division Sardinien

Post by valentine III » 15 Oct 2018, 13:59

Hi Alan,

From this document :

Kriegsgliederung des feldheeres, Stand 15 october 1942

National archives Record Group 242 publication T78 Roll 406
Document Group H1/95 (part 4)

Pages 86-87...

It seems a document from about October 1942 and corrections and amendments.

Eduard

Richard Anderson

Re: Artillery regiment Division Sardinien

Post by Richard Anderson » 15 Oct 2018, 19:04

According to Lexikon (via Tessin) Artillerie-Regiment Sardinien was formed from former Africa personnel returning from leave. The Regimentsstab and Stab/I. Abteilung were formed from former personnel of the Regimentsstab and Stab/I. Abteilung of the former Artillerie-Regiment Afrika 2. The three batteries of the I. Abteilung were formed from the Sturm-Batterie of Sturm-Regiment 853, the leichten Rahmen-Batterie 719, and the leichten Rahmen-Batterie 729. The II. Abteilung was formed from schweren Rahmen-Batterien 715, 734, and 743. The III. Abteilung was formed from the Sturmgeschütz-Batterie 247, and s. (Sfl) Batterien 491 and 492.

All the batteries were units originally formed to reinforce the forces in Tunisia, but apparently were never shipped.

The StuG were likely the seven shown in the Panzerlage of 31 August 1943 with 90. Pz.Gren.Div. The artillery were likely 10,5cm le.F.H., 15,5cm (f) s.F.H. or s.K. The Sfl. batteries would have to be early-production Wespe, but how many were available is a question-mark.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”