100. Jäger-Division

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Bovec1313ahf

100. Jäger-Division

Post by Bovec1313ahf » 28 Jan 2019, 11:11

I'm looking for the number of decorations awarded to members of 100. Jäger-Division (former 100. Leichte Infanterie-Division)
on Eastern front.
I'm trying to compare decorations awarded to Infanterie-Regiment 369 (kroatisch), which fought as a part of 100. Leichte Infanterie-Division in Russia.

thanks in advance.
P.

Kurti

Re: 100. Jäger-Division

Post by Kurti » 29 Jan 2019, 22:42

Hey,
I'm sorry I can't help you, but I have a questions. :)
What was the differences between the Jäger Divisions and normal Infantry Divisions of the Wehrmacht?
Jäger are typicly light Infantry but what was the use of this type of military unit by the germans?

Russ3Z

Re: 100. Jäger-Division

Post by Russ3Z » 15 Apr 2019, 19:42

Kurti wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 22:42
Hey,
I'm sorry I can't help you, but I have a questions. :)
What was the differences between the Jäger Divisions and normal Infantry Divisions of the Wehrmacht?
Jäger are typicly light Infantry but what was the use of this type of military unit by the germans?
I believe that, in their original institution as Light Infantry Divisions, these were intended to be smaller (eg. 2 infantry regiments instead of 3), somewhat-more mobile (organic motorization of their heavy artillery battalion, and I believe higher priority for allocation of GHQ transport resources when needed, somewhat similar in thought to the Italian auto-transportable division model), and more flexible (eg. some supporting units were decentralized and made organic to the infantry regiments) compared to the regular Infantry divisions.

In their initial deployment in the East, I believe all four divisions were subordinated to AGS, initially bridging the geographical deployment areas between the regular Infantry and the Mountain divisions, but often being used as spearhead forces due to their increased mobility and flexibility.

Their smaller, two-regiment structure (also seen in the Mountain and Motorized divisions) may have also served as an inspiration of the reforms later carried out on the regular Infantry divisions, though it's just as likely that Germany's declining manpower reserves simply made a virtue of that necessity.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”