German Military Cemetery Sarajevo

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
FlyingStukas

German Military Cemetery Sarajevo

Post by FlyingStukas » 29 Nov 2018 16:57

Does anyone know what happened to these graveyards of WH and SS members after the war? Specifically in Sarajevo. An educated guess would be the Partisans dug them out at some point, but I can't be sure on that. The landscapes remind of the graveyards near Koševo (part of Sarajevo).

Cheers, Filip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Filip

FlyingStukas

Re: SS-Division "Prinz Eugen" photos

Post by FlyingStukas » 21 Jan 2019 19:31

Here's a brilliant picture, something similar both Ivan and I posted earlier. (there is a similar photo on Ivans website, Bandenkampf).
Graveyard of SS Prinz Eugen soldiers in Sarajevo 1944. By my observations, this is the graveyard known as "Groblje Lav" in Koševo.

Notice that the man with the freshly dug grave is "Fritz Herrfürth". His wreath says "Ruhe Sanft" which is an alternative way of saying "Ruhe in Frieden" , which both translates to Rest in Peace

Cheers, Filip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Filip

Xavier
Financial supporter

Post by Xavier » 21 Jan 2019 23:03

does the graveyard still exist...? my best guess is no, but ...

FlyingStukas

Post by FlyingStukas » 21 Jan 2019 23:58

No, it does not. Its a local, city cemetery today.
Cheers,
Filip

Xavier
Financial supporter

Post by Xavier » 22 Jan 2019 03:28

thanks FlyingStukas,
do the houses on the back of the picture still stand today..?
what is the name of the present civilian cemetary..?
just saw the pkace on google street view..its huge, lots of tree.
I cant see beyond them andcemetary is cut in half by a big avenue

FlyingStukas

Post by FlyingStukas » 22 Jan 2019 15:17

Hey there Xavier,

As I said, the cemetery is called Groblje Lav which literally translates to "Lion Cemetery". It was erected in 1916 as an homage to fallen Austro-Hungarian soldiers. In this part of Sarajevo, in the space of just 5km, located are all the big cemeteries in Sarajevo (Gavrilo Princip is buried in one). I have made it my personal task to find out how and when did these German graves get dug up.

Cheers, FIlip
Cheers,
Filip

FlyingStukas

Post by FlyingStukas » 22 Jan 2019 15:32

Hey Xavier,

This is what I was talking about. This is the infamous lion statue and AH Monument.

Cheers, Filip
Cheers,
Filip

Xavier
Financial supporter

Post by Xavier » 22 Jan 2019 16:36

thanks..! it will be a huge task, I see there are 4 or 5 cemeteries around it...how can you tell its this one..? because of age..?

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 22 Jan 2019 19:06

FlyingStukas wrote:
21 Jan 2019 19:31
[...]
Notice that the man with the freshly dug grave is "Fritz Herrfürth". His wreath says "Ruhe Sanft" which is an alternative way of saying "Ruhe in Frieden" , which both translates to Rest in Peace
Cheers, Filip
Actually it´s "Fritz Herrfurth" and "Ruhe sanft".
Cheers

FlyingStukas

Post by FlyingStukas » 22 Jan 2019 19:28

Ruhe sanft in this case is all capitalized, you know what I meant.

Cheers, Filip
Cheers,
Filip

FlyingStukas

Post by FlyingStukas » 22 Jan 2019 19:46

On the topic of Sarajevo, funerals and Prinz Eugen, here is another one that fits the narrative. I am VERY wary of internet links like this one, and I don't take it for granted unless I know the publification, but this one from Pinterest caught my attention. Says August 1944, which is the correct date for the previous photo and Sarajevo funeral I posted. Please, if anyone knows the correct source of this image, I'd be thankful
(As a side note, the HQ of SS Prinz Eugen was located in Kasindol, a 40mins drive from the city/outskirts of Sarajevo)

Cheers, Filip
Cheers,
Filip

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 22 Jan 2019 20:19

Hello, Filip

First of all, you forgot again to add the source for the 1944 photo that you previously posted.

The last photo you posted was scanned by me from Kumm's "7. SS-Gebirgs-Division 'Prinz Eugen' im Bild" and posted on the forum in October 2005 :) The date (August 1944) was my assumption, based on the date of a photo published on the next page of the same book (Reiser's funeral; but the photos were most likely taken on different occasions). My old assumption is, of course, very much questionable - the same as the pictured troops holding the crosses; after taking a closer look, they actually seem to be wearing brest eagles, which would mean they're Luftwaffe or Heer troops. The soldier in the foreground, standing closest to the camera, is an SS mountain trooper (I don't know about the rest of his group, no insignia is visible). The orchestra in the background is Croatian (they're wearing Yugoslav/French helmets). Long story short, the date is unknown the same as the unit(s) of the troops being buried. (Kumm's photo caption was: "Farewell to fallen comrades at Sarajevo cemetery." No date.)

Cheers,
Ivan

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Re: German Military Cemetery Sarajevo

Post by G. Trifkovic » 30 Jan 2019 00:57

Hi all,

I did some research on the topic some years ago over at the Forum-der-Wehrmacht, so I'll be using materials posted there both by myself and by the FdW members Peavey and Matthias Heidenreich (Figs. 1 and 2, all credit goes to original uploaders).

First of all, here is the drawing of the position of German WW2 military graveyard in Sarajevo (Fig. 1). The "southern" plot ("Neue deutsche Parzelle 1941-1945")- which, I believe, was the site of "Kumm" and "Herrfürth" shots uploaded by FlyingStukas, as well as Fig.2- corresponds roughly to the site of today's Hydrotechnical Institute (Fig. 3, underlined in red). Fig. 4 was taken from the spot marked with X (compare the details on the housing blocks, red circle), while the Fig. 5 was taken from the same spot, but with a 90-degree turn to the west (the hill, known as Hum, is visible in the distance; compare with "Kumm" photo).

Regarding the fate of German military cemeteries in Yugoslavia: on 18 May 1945, the Yugoslav Ministry of the Interior issued the decree No. 1253 ordering the destruction and removal of all cemeteries belonging to occupation forces, as well as some collaboration formations (such as the Ustashe).The measure and execution modalities were additionally explained by a circular letter issued in July by interior ministries of the constituent republics; in short, all outward, visible signs of these graveyards were to be removed; the exhumation of the bodies, on the contrary, was expressly prohibited.

Source: Vladimir Geiger, Slađana Josipović Batorek, "O provođenju odluke komunističkih vlasti iz 1945. o uklanjanju grobalja i grobova 'okupatora' i 'narodnih neprijatelja' u Slavoniji i Srijemu", Scrinia Slavonica 15 (2015), pp. 291-316 (here 291-94).

Best,

G.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 30 Jan 2019 01:13

Great work, Gaius, both on the cemetery and on the topic split.

Cheers,
Ivan

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 30 Jan 2019 01:15

Thanks, mate!

Best,

G.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”