Fallschirmjäger in the battle of Kharkov 1942

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Howling Wolf

Fallschirmjäger in the battle of Kharkov 1942

Post by Howling Wolf » 17 Feb 2019, 15:12

In researching the May 1942 Kharkov offensive disaster by the Soviet Southwestern and Southern Fronts I came across a report of German Fallschirmjäger being dropped into the village of Ternovaia.
Ternovaia was a village located just east of the Soviet Northern Shock Group jumping off point close to the dividing line between the Soviet 21st and 28th armies.
Actually have 2 questions:
1. What German units were trapped, cut off, and encircled in Ternovaia?? On a Glantz map it shows 3 infantry regiments in the sector of the 28th Army Front. 429th IR, 413TH IR, and 211th IR. Glantz does not state which units were trapped at Ternovaia just that there was a stubborn German garrison in the village holding out for days at the Soviets bypassed them and left 2 regiments behind to clear out the village, the 48th and 29th rifle regiments of the 38th Rifle Division.
2. A.K. Morozov, commander of 2nd Battalion, 48th IR, is quoted and sourced by Glantz as having seen German para units dropped into Ternovaia to reinforce the garrison. Glantz also states that supply drops by air were dropped into Ternovaia. The source for the fallschirmjager drops is ambiguous at best. I have no problem accepting the re-supply air drops but do question the use of fallschirmjager units deployed in the village. Anyone have information on this to verify the Glantz source??

Howling Wolf

Re: Fallschirmjäger in the battle of Kharkov 1942

Post by Howling Wolf » 17 Feb 2019, 16:02

Just found the answer to my first question in my book Combat History of the 23. Panzer-Division. It was Kampfgruppe Gruner of the 294th ID which was encircled since 13 May in Ternovaia.
2nd question about the Falschirmjäger still stands.

William Russ

Post by William Russ » 18 Feb 2019, 00:31

The Germans never deployed paratroopers during the battle. It is the work of the Soviets overwrought imagination from seeing the Luftwaffe drop supplies to the surrounded forces. I found this out when researching my last book on the 2nd Kharkov campaign.
I have come across the same thing in my research for the German invasion of Yugoslavia in April 1941. The Yugoslav’s reported several instances of seeing German paratroopers being air dropped but that never happened. Another case over of a defenders overactive imagination.

Howling Wolf

Post by Howling Wolf » 18 Feb 2019, 02:37

William Russ wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 00:31
The Germans never deployed paratroopers during the battle. It is the work of the Soviets overwrought imagination from seeing the Luftwaffe drop supplies to the surrounded forces. I found this out when researching my last book on the 2nd Kharkov campaign.
I have come across the same thing in my research for the German invasion of Yugoslavia in April 1941. The Yugoslav’s reported several instances of seeing German paratroopers being air dropped but that never happened. Another case over of a defenders overactive imagination.
That's what I thought. Just looking for verification from others. Thanks for the reply.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”