266. Infanterie-Division August 1944

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
chimodoll

266. Infanterie-Division August 1944

Post by chimodoll » 17 May 2019, 19:47

My Father, an Uffz. Infantryman with the 266. Infanterie-Division (Wehrmacht), was severely injured, captured and taken POW by the 6th Armd Div US on 9 August 1944 somewhere near Brest, France. I have read several documents written by soldiers from that period such as war diaries; however, I am trying to determine the precise geographical area (near a town(s)), where the 266th was destroyed by the 6th Armd Div. Any assistance is appreciated.
Uwe U. Beyer, CD, CME, Capt (Ret'd)

jpz4

Re: 266. Infanterie-Division August 1944

Post by jpz4 » 17 May 2019, 23:29

I believe a book (in French) about this division was published late last year/early this year. It was announced on this forum.

Edit: found it: viewtopic.php?t=224539#p2159298
I'm not entirely sure if it covers August 44 or not, but I would assume that it does. I know there is some information about the division around this time in other sources, but AFAIK the records for XXV. AK are not available, but (some) divisional records are. I would assume many of these are either copied or used as sources for the book.

From what I know, it appears that much of Gruppe Spang (named after the division commander) was cut off, surrounded and lost. I would not be surprised if your father belonged to that group. The US version could be covered in 'Breakout and Pursuit'. Unfortunately I'm not familiar which 6AD records are available online. After action reports could hold vital information, but 'Breakout and Pursuit' might be better in getting a clear picture of what was going on.

Based on German records I did find, the remnants of the division were surrounded at Gouesnou on 9 August. However, I do think Spang had already been captured he day before. Do you know what exact unit your father belonged to? Some are mentioned in the records...

Good luck!

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 18 May 2019, 17:41

Strangely I have the Kampgruppe Spang early august in the Festung St Malo ( Rance )
In the book Festung St Malo from Hans Sakkers is written that on 9 aug 1944 400 German
troops were captured at the Josefsberg and Wn 611a and 612 . ( NARA -T 315 Roll 1841 )
Attachments
0099.jpg

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 18 May 2019, 18:38

Jos, you might want to read that roll more closely. Already on 4.8. Spang was instructed to withdraw to Brest with what remained of his troops (and other units holding the north coast).

Radio message of XXV.A.K. at 10:00 on 4.8.:
The troops deployed at Dinan hold that sector. Facing superior enemy pressure or to prevent an encirclement they will carry out a fighting withdrawal to 'Aulock'.
Gen.Lt. Spang leads the troops committed in (his) K.V.A back towards Brest. If not possible, will gather them in Stützpunkten, which, in line with Führer-Befehl, are to be held.
Another order (which seems to be from 4.8. as well) states "the elements which are on their way to KG Gen.Lt. Spang will be halted immediately, and will march over Morlaix, Landevisieau to Festung Brest."

To be clear: I don't think the new force under Spang was specifically referred to as 'KG Spang', although this arguable would be the most fitting description. Possibly it wasn't done to avoid confusion with the already dissolved KG.

If I'm not mistaken, the force in the area of Dinan (moving up west of the Rance) was ultimately taken over by Bacherer. He defended the area west of the Rance while the Fest.Kdt. defended St.Malo itself. I'm still looking for orders confirming this change over (B was initially east of the Rance).

On 11 August the Ia of the 266.I.D reported that at best some 800 men might stil arrive [at Brest], mainly elements of G.R.899 and Nachr.Abt.266. Division staff had been destroyed. Gen. Spang, MIA, presumed captured. This apparently refers to the force surrounded at Gousenou. An earlier counter-attack by the 2.Fj.Div. to free them had failed.

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 18 May 2019, 19:15

Thanks for the correction

Tom Peters

Post by Tom Peters » 28 May 2019, 03:03

There is a Foreign military Studies document, FMS-P-176 that covers the 266th div during this time period. ALthough the mention of an individuals name is highly unlikely, it may contain the other information you are interested in. PM me.

Mad Dog

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”