ULK-Lehrgang?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

ULK-Lehrgang?

Post by Ivan Ž. » 09 Jun 2019 14:36

Hello, everyone

Does anyone know what did the "ULK", as in "ULK-Lehrgang", stand for? I didn't find it in the book of German military abbreviations.

An example: https://www.einsatzhafen-merzhausen.de/ ... chanfrage/

Thanks in advance,
Ivan

DirkAH

Re: ULK-Lehrgang?

Post by DirkAH » 09 Jun 2019 16:11

Hello!

ULK is no abbreviation but a German word for Joke/Comedy. :lol:
Ciao

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 09 Jun 2019 16:25

Hello,

There is a PK photo report entitled "Einsatz eines ULK-Lehrgangs bei der Bandenbekämpfung" and I've seen nothing funny about those photos. So "ULK" in that case was either a typo or it was an abbreviation with some meaning other than joke/comedy.

Cheers,
Ivan

DirkAH

Post by DirkAH » 09 Jun 2019 16:42

I stand by my answer. Look at the first picture and the boots on the table before the white background. They pretend to be dwarfs. And not coincidentally wine bottles on the other three pics...
Ciao

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 09 Jun 2019 16:46

Thank you for the reply, I posted the link simply because it was the only visual example of the acronym that I could find.

I would really appreciate if anyone has any info on the use of the ULK acronym in the PK report that I mentioned.

See for example: https://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/archiv ... h[focus]=5
Einsatz eines ULK-Lehrgangs bei der Bandenbekämpfung.
Einsatzgebiet: Boljevic, Progar, Kupinovo, am linken Ufer der Save, zirka 60 Kilometer westlich von Belgrad.
In einem Partisanendorf übernachtet die Truppe.
Cheers,
Ivan

Blanusa

Post by Blanusa » 09 Jun 2019 17:19

Hello,

I've only ever seen ULK to be interpreted as Unterführer-Lehrgang-Kompanie, in this case as per attached image.The attached image was added for research purpose only and moderators are welcome to delete it.

Best regards
Blanusa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 09 Jun 2019 17:21

Thank you, Blanusa :thumbsup: That does make sense.

The only strange thing is - why would they add "Lehrgang" at the end of the acronym (which already contains the same word)?

ULK-Lehrgang = Unterführer-Lehrgang-Kompanie-Lehrgang?

Cheers,
Ivan

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 09 Jun 2019 17:32

PS
According to http://www.lander.odessa.ua/doc/girg_auftrag.pdf
...the ULK stands for Unterführer-Lehrkompanie.

While according to this book https://books.google.rs/books?id=19YkAw ... 22&f=false
...it stands for Unterführer-Lehr-Kommando.

Cheers,
Ivan

Blanusa

Post by Blanusa » 09 Jun 2019 18:02

Hello,

It may be that Unterführer-Lehrkompanie is correct and ULK-Lehrgang would then make more sense. This is how it was written in a photo album that belonged to a Luftwaffe glider pilot, sold earlier on eBay.

Best regards
Blanusa

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 09 Jun 2019 18:14

Agreed - and thanks one more time.

Cheers,
Ivan

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 09 Jun 2019 20:29

What kind of German unit does Unterfuhrer-Lehrkompanie do? Was it a combat unit?

Edward L. Hsiao

Blanusa

Post by Blanusa » 09 Jun 2019 22:22

Hello,

From my understanding, these companies existed within the framework of a division, or maybe even within a regiment. It was specifically created to train new NCO's, hence the name. The purpose being to make the most of the men, by drawing from experienced and prominent enlisted men, train them as NCO candidates locally and produce new NCO's faster for the divisions combat elements. The alternative was to send one or several enlisted men as NCO candidates to a NCO school, which may not be available at once but maybe a few months later, then wait for a long time for this soldier to potentially pass the course and then to maybe return to his previous unit.
This type of companies were not intended as combat unit, but the men participating had to be trained to lead combat units. Likely they would have been put through training in front-like conditions, when possible.

This was common within the III.(germ)SS-Panzer-Korps, during summer 1943, as they had many enlisted ethnic Germans from Romania, Danes and Norwegians. Many of the ethnic Germans had previous experience within the Romanian army and some had even passed NCO courses there, but were still enlisted as fresh recruits in the Waffen-SS. Many of the Danes and Norwegians had long front line experience, but still served with enlisted ranks. This was a good way for the Corps to attempt to fulfil their need for a large number of NCO's in a very short time.

I know it's not a very satisfactory answer, but at least it's something. Maybe someone can add more.

Best regards
Blanusa

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”