Captured banner of I./Fsch-Pz.Gren.Rgt. 2 "HG".

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
BartekPL

Captured banner of I./Fsch-Pz.Gren.Rgt. 2 "HG".

Post by BartekPL » 09 Jul 2019, 15:52

During fights for Magnuszew bridgehead, on 12th August 1944, 1st Tank Company of Polish 1st Tank Regiment under command of captain Wiktor Tiufiakow (tank No. 110), supporting Soviet 142th Guards Infantry Regiment captured banner of mentioned unit. It was reported by unit and description of this event can be found in ,,Studzianki" by Janusz Przymanowski:
Pod wysokimi na wzrost człowieka krzakami kruszyny stał w wykopie opancerzony transporter, a nieco dalej osobowy mercedes malowany w łaty. Nad transporterem obok luf działek kalibru 20 mm poczwórnie sprzężonych sterczał sztandar ze swastyką i orłem u szczytu. Paru żołnierzy w hełmach siedziało na burcie, jeden zrywał duże czarne jagody z krzewów, pokazywał innym. W huku bliskiej bitwy nie usłyszeli podejścia czołgu. Na rolkach wirowały jeszcze resztki szmat.
- Piotrek, cały gaz — rzucił Tiufiakow.
Fizylierzy ukryci za wieżą sypnęli seriami z peemów, radiofonista sierżant Wróblewski nacisnął spust diegtiarowa, stodziesiątka ryknęła jak atakujący byk. Grenadierzy dostrzegli ją, zniknęli za pancernymi burtami. Jeden gwałtownie obraca' działka. Transporter począł wypełzać tyłem z okopu.
Dopadli go, sprasowali maskę. Wiktor jak kot skoczył z wieży wprost na ziemię, kulą z nagana powalił uciekającego chorążego, podbiegł i wydarł mu drzewce. Na metalowej obrączce był napis wyryty gotykiem: „1 Abt. 2 Panzergrenadier Regiment - Hermann Göring".
Fizylierzy rozsypali się, brali jeńców, a wśród nich oficerów sztabowych z osobowego mercedesa. (...) Kapitan wezwał załogę do wozu, cisnął sztandar na skrzynki z pociskami i ruszyli dalej wspierać gwardzistów oczyszczających od przeciwnika kwadrat lasu oznaczony na mapie numerem 102.
My translation:
An armored transporter stood in the trench under the human-size aggregate bushes, not far away stood a Mercedes painted in patches. A banner with a swastika and an eagle at the top was standing over the transporter next to the 20 mm calibre cannons, which were quadruple-coupled. Some soldiers in helmets were sitting on the side, one of them was picking large black berries from bushes, showing them to the others. In the rumble of a near battle, they didn't hear the tank's approach. On rollers there were still leftovers of rags whirling.
- Piotrek, full speed, said Tiufiakow.
Fusiliers hidden behind the turret, opened fire with their SMGs, radio operator - sergeant Wróblewski pressed the Diegtiarov's trigger, the "110" (their T-34-76) roared like an attacking bull. The grenadiers noticed it, disappeared behind the sides of armored transporter (Sd Kfz 7/1 (?)). One of them suddenly starts rotating the cannons. The transporter started to drive backwards, out of the trench. They got him, crushed its mask and engine (with tank's tracks). Wiktor, like a cat, jumped from the turret straight to the ground, with a bullet from the Nagant revolver he killed the escaping NCO, ran to him and took the banner. On the metal ring there was an inscription engraved with gothic: "1 Abt. 2 Panzergrenadier Regiment - Hermann Göring". Fusiliers spread out, took prisoners, among them staff officers from the passenger Mercedes. (...) The captain called the crew into the tank, threw the banner on the ammo boxes and they set off to support the guards who were clearing from the enemy the square of the forest, marked on the map with the number "102".
How could this banner of I./Fallschirm-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 2 Hermann Göring look like?

Regards
Bartłomiej

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”