Leerstaffel meaning.

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
steelers708

Leerstaffel meaning.

Post by steelers708 » 12 Aug 2019, 11:58

This is a longshot but has anyoneever heard the term Leerstaffeln in relation to the Heer. It appears In the GD document I’ve attached and it also appears in Walter Kniep's RK-Vorschlag, this is the sentence in question, "Darüber hinaus blieben die bereits im Bereich des feindlichen Panzerangriffs befindlichen Munitions-, Betriebsstoff- und Leerstaffeln, sowie die - durch die Lage und Geländeverhältnisse bedingt - auf engem Raum zusammengedrängten Stäbe vor größeren Verlusten bewahrt."
On a secondary note does anyone know what the GD document is showing as I've never seen one like this before.
Thank you for any help or suggestions
Attachments
Leerstaffel.jpg

Piet Duits

Re: Leerstaffel meaning.

Post by Piet Duits » 12 Aug 2019, 23:03

All items which could be reused again, for example artillery shells, or ammo boxes.

Xavier

Post by Xavier » 13 Aug 2019, 04:49

artillery shell casings for reuse

steelers708

Post by steelers708 » 13 Aug 2019, 16:39

In the case of the GD above it's not items that could be reused e.g. shell cases or ammo boxes. I've spoken to Richard at Sturmpanzer.com and the GD document is an overview of manpower for the division. Basically it is subdivided by unit type and unit. So to the right of a unit description you will see something like 1(1) : 6 : 14. this means 1 officer, 1 civil servant, 6 NCO's and 14 enlisted men. Unfortunately he hadn't noticed the Leerstaffeln column before and had no ideas as to what it could be.

So the Leerstaffel for the Füsilier-Rgt. is 0 Officers, 14 NCO's & 83 enlisted men, is it possible they're e.g. new replacements with the unit but not currently assigned to a squad/platoon or Kompanie?

DirkAH

Post by DirkAH » 13 Aug 2019, 22:33

I'm leaning towards ad hoc units formed to transport and/or search empty shell casings, fuel cans, bottles etc.
Ciao

Piet Duits

Post by Piet Duits » 13 Aug 2019, 22:48

Me too

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 16 Aug 2019, 13:56

Hello,

My guess that These are the Tross Elements of decimated Units which are not needed any more by the original companies/batteries and are now used as mobile Transport Elements wherever they are needed.

/Christoph

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”