Kampfwert Rating System

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Duncan_M

Kampfwert Rating System

Post by Duncan_M » 08 Feb 2020, 03:58

I've read what the numbers mean in terms of rating divisions by what type of operations they're capable of, but how did they come up with those figures? And who did the grading?

Lastly, where there other systems of rating divisions?

DirkAH

Re: Kampfwert Rating System

Post by DirkAH » 09 Feb 2020, 12:25

Hello!

The grades were given the divisional commanders themselves. Or rather by the divisions operations department and then signed by the commander. In the monthly reports (Zustandsberichte) with a statement of the next higher command and in shorter weekly ones (Wochenmeldung) without any commentary. The ratings were based on available personal, equpiment, mobility, moral, supply, training level etc. Although I've never seen a detailed explanation of each individual grade i.e. why specifically a unit was II and not I.
There was another more secretive system that graded the "Innerer Kampfwert" (~internal combat value) based on factors like toughness, esprit de corps, capability, experience and cohesivness of the men and the leadership of divisions. This second system also used four grades (I-IV) that were given by corps, army and armygroup commanders and obviously not shared with the respective divisions/divisional commanders. I haven't found a detailed explanation of the latter system's four grades either but they were somewhat comparable to the normal Kampfwert ratings:
I = excellent, highly experienced, extremly reliable
II = good, capable, reliable,
III = mediocre, unproven, limited reliability,
IV = bad division, destroyed, not crisis-proof
Ciao

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 09 Feb 2020, 14:51

KW I and II were considered attack capable. III and IV were defense-only.

Duncan_M

Post by Duncan_M » 09 Feb 2020, 19:45

DirkAH wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 12:25
Hello!

The grades were given the divisional commanders themselves. Or rather by the divisions operations department and then signed by the commander. In the monthly reports (Zustandsberichte) with a statement of the next higher command and in shorter weekly ones (Wochenmeldung) without any commentary. The ratings were based on available personal, equpiment, mobility, moral, supply, training level etc. Although I've never seen a detailed explanation of each individual grade i.e. why specifically a unit was II and not I.
There was another more secretive system that graded the "Innerer Kampfwert" (~internal combat value) based on factors like toughness, esprit de corps, capability, experience and cohesivness of the men and the leadership of divisions. This second system also used four grades (I-IV) that were given by corps, army and armygroup commanders and obviously not shared with the respective divisions/divisional commanders. I haven't found a detailed explanation of the latter system's four grades either but they were somewhat comparable to the normal Kampfwert ratings:
I = excellent, highly experienced, extremly reliable
II = good, capable, reliable,
III = mediocre, unproven, limited reliability,
IV = bad division, destroyed, not crisis-proof
Thank you!

That's just the answer I was looking for. Really good info, thanks for sharing.

Are there any sources you know in English which gives further background? Most sources Ive read that mentioned Kampfwert ratings gave a basic definition and then what the numbers meant, but nothing about how the number was come up with and by whom.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”