What percent of Ostfront losses were German?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
mustang19
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: 10 Aug 2016 01:23
Location: Usa

What percent of Ostfront losses were German?

Post by mustang19 » 19 Feb 2020 06:36

To be consistent, I am using KIA figures from Wikipedia. Okw reported 1.7m wehrmact KIA. Assuming 80% were east then that's 1.3m.

Wikipedia also gives deaths for other armies-

Hungary and Romania 500k
SS 300k
Axis partisans 100-200k
Volkstrum 1m or so

So we potentially have 2m KIA who were not German, versus 1.3m who were.

How many Eastern front losses were actually German?

modelbouw nederland
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: 06 Dec 2019 16:22
Location: Netherlands

Re: What percent of ostfront losses were German?

Post by modelbouw nederland » 20 Feb 2020 12:34

What does Kia mean?

CNE503
Member
Posts: 1941
Joined: 23 Aug 2010 12:01
Location: Bourges, Berry, France

Re: What percent of ostfront losses were German?

Post by CNE503 » 20 Feb 2020 14:04

1,3m from Wehrmacht, a good part of SS losses were German losses (let say 150k), Volkssturm was entirely German, so 1m more.
German total : around 2,5m on the Eastern front. Others lost less than 1m.
What is your problem, except the will to negate what is obvious to everyone?

CNE504
"Sicut Aquila" / "Ils s'instruisent pour vaincre" / "par l'exemple, le coeur et la raison" / "Labor Omnia Vincit"

Pena V
Member
Posts: 792
Joined: 21 Feb 2006 19:51
Location: Finland

Re: What percent of ostfront losses were German?

Post by Pena V » 20 Feb 2020 21:33

Finnish losses in 1941-1944 were 63 204 KIA & MIA.

Pena V

User avatar
FlyingStukas
Member
Posts: 98
Joined: 22 Sep 2018 23:12
Location: Bosnia and Herzegovina

Re: What percent of ostfront losses were German?

Post by FlyingStukas » 21 Feb 2020 01:33

Pena V wrote:
20 Feb 2020 21:33
Finnish losses in 1941-1944 were 63 204 KIA & MIA.

Pena V
Dear Pena,

Does that also take into consideration the men of the Finnisches Freiwilligen Baitallon?

Cheers,
Filip
Cheers,
Filip

User avatar
FlyingStukas
Member
Posts: 98
Joined: 22 Sep 2018 23:12
Location: Bosnia and Herzegovina

Re: What percent of ostfront losses were German?

Post by FlyingStukas » 21 Feb 2020 01:56

modelbouw nederland wrote:
20 Feb 2020 12:34
What does Kia mean?
KIA = Killed in Action

That's more than just a casualty, which also counts for the wounded and the missing,

Cheers,
Filip
Cheers,
Filip

AllenM
Member
Posts: 70
Joined: 18 Sep 2018 04:01
Location: USA

Re: What percent of ostfront losses were German?

Post by AllenM » 21 Feb 2020 02:55

One in three men fighting for the Germans was not a native German.

https://www.amazon.com/Eastern-Front-We ... 1780768907

Richard Anderson
Member
Posts: 2949
Joined: 01 Jan 2016 21:21
Location: Bremerton, Washington

Re: What percent of ostfront losses were German?

Post by Richard Anderson » 21 Feb 2020 03:54

modelbouw nederland wrote:
20 Feb 2020 12:34
What does Kia mean?
It means "don't feed the troll".
"Is all this pretentious pseudo intellectual citing of sources REALLY necessary? It gets in the way of a good, spirited debate, destroys the cadence." POD, 6 October 2018

Pena V
Member
Posts: 792
Joined: 21 Feb 2006 19:51
Location: Finland

Re: What percent of ostfront losses were German?

Post by Pena V » 21 Feb 2020 13:57

FlyingStukas,

The 63 204 KIA & MIA includes also the 255 KIA of the Finnisches Freiwilligen Bataillon (III/"Nordland") and other Finns outside the Bataillon in Wiking. Those 75 KIA in 1941 were all serving in other units of Wiking and the rest (180) were mainly from the Bataillon between January 1942 and February 1943.

Pena V

User avatar
FlyingStukas
Member
Posts: 98
Joined: 22 Sep 2018 23:12
Location: Bosnia and Herzegovina

Re: What percent of ostfront losses were German?

Post by FlyingStukas » 21 Feb 2020 20:24

Pena V wrote:
21 Feb 2020 13:57
FlyingStukas,

The 63 204 KIA & MIA includes also the 255 KIA of the Finnisches Freiwilligen Bataillon (III/"Nordland") and other Finns outside the Bataillon in Wiking. Those 75 KIA in 1941 were all serving in other units of Wiking and the rest (180) were mainly from the Bataillon between January 1942 and February 1943.

Pena V
Thanks for the response. Good info

Cheers,
Filip
Cheers,
Filip

mustang19
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: 10 Aug 2016 01:23
Location: Usa

Re: What percent of ostfront losses were German?

Post by mustang19 » 22 Feb 2020 18:06

CNE503 wrote:
20 Feb 2020 14:04
1,3m from Wehrmacht, a good part of SS losses were German losses (let say 150k), Volkssturm was entirely German, so 1m more.
German total : around 2,5m on the Eastern front. Others lost less than 1m.
What is your problem, except the will to negate what is obvious to everyone?

CNE504
Volkstrum was nowhere near german, there were some small forces defending Berlin but it was mostly employed in Poland and the baltics. Wikipedia says there were only 45000 men defending berlin and only 20000 casualties at seelow heights.

CNE503
Member
Posts: 1941
Joined: 23 Aug 2010 12:01
Location: Bourges, Berry, France

Re: What percent of ostfront losses were German?

Post by CNE503 » 23 Feb 2020 18:06

mustang19 wrote:
22 Feb 2020 18:06
CNE503 wrote:
20 Feb 2020 14:04
1,3m from Wehrmacht, a good part of SS losses were German losses (let say 150k), Volkssturm was entirely German, so 1m more.
German total : around 2,5m on the Eastern front. Others lost less than 1m.
What is your problem, except the will to negate what is obvious to everyone?

CNE504
Volkstrum was nowhere near german, there were some small forces defending Berlin but it was mostly employed in Poland and the baltics. Wikipedia says there were only 45000 men defending berlin and only 20000 casualties at seelow heights.
lol
It was Volkssturm ("People's Levy"), not Volkstrum. It was mostly German, with every single German from 16 to 60 enlisted, even if some of Polish, Danish or Czech ascendancy could have probably been called too.
And I get it now: don't feed the troll!

CNE503
"Sicut Aquila" / "Ils s'instruisent pour vaincre" / "par l'exemple, le coeur et la raison" / "Labor Omnia Vincit"

mustang19
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: 10 Aug 2016 01:23
Location: Usa

Re: What percent of ostfront losses were German?

Post by mustang19 » 25 Feb 2020 18:02

CNE503 wrote:
23 Feb 2020 18:06
mustang19 wrote:
22 Feb 2020 18:06
CNE503 wrote:
20 Feb 2020 14:04
1,3m from Wehrmacht, a good part of SS losses were German losses (let say 150k), Volkssturm was entirely German, so 1m more.
German total : around 2,5m on the Eastern front. Others lost less than 1m.
What is your problem, except the will to negate what is obvious to everyone?

CNE504
Volkstrum was nowhere near german, there were some small forces defending Berlin but it was mostly employed in Poland and the baltics. Wikipedia says there were only 45000 men defending berlin and only 20000 casualties at seelow heights.
lol
It was Volkssturm ("People's Levy"), not Volkstrum. It was mostly German, with every single German from 16 to 60 enlisted, even if some of Polish, Danish or Czech ascendancy could have probably been called too.
And I get it now: don't feed the troll!

CNE503
How is it a troll if you're agreeing with me? Wikipedia lists Volkssturm in the places I mentioned, where is your statistic on their place of origin?

CNE503
Member
Posts: 1941
Joined: 23 Aug 2010 12:01
Location: Bourges, Berry, France

Re: What percent of Ostfront losses were German?

Post by CNE503 » 26 Feb 2020 14:18

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If you searched Volkssturm on Wikipedia, I doubt you found anything relevant.
"Sicut Aquila" / "Ils s'instruisent pour vaincre" / "par l'exemple, le coeur et la raison" / "Labor Omnia Vincit"

mustang19
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: 10 Aug 2016 01:23
Location: Usa

Re: What percent of Ostfront losses were German?

Post by mustang19 » 03 Mar 2020 07:21

CNE503 wrote:
26 Feb 2020 14:18
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If you searched Volkssturm on Wikipedia, I doubt you found anything relevant.
Their pages on vistula offensive, Prussia offensive etc reference volksstrum.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”