My friends grandfather was in the Panzer division of the SS during WW2 and had a camera. Here are the pics

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
oconarms
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: 20 Mar 2020 21:14
Location: Austria

My friends grandfather was in the Panzer division of the SS during WW2 and had a camera. Here are the pics

Post by oconarms » 20 Mar 2020 21:23

I originally posted this on reddit yesterday. Thought it might be of some interest here.

I asked some of my Austrian friends about their grandparents involvement in WW2. While many have fascinating stories, and some have photos, only one of our friends gave me her grandfather's old photos. There are 500 pics in total but i've only scanned these few so far.

https://imgur.com/a/ztycPLZ#op7JQcG

User avatar
eindhoven
Member
Posts: 584
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 17:54

Re: My friends grandfather was in the Panzer division of the SS during WW2 and had a camera. Here are the pics

Post by eindhoven » 20 Mar 2020 21:47

oconarms wrote:
20 Mar 2020 21:23
I originally posted this on reddit yesterday. Thought it might be of some interest here.

I asked some of my Austrian friends about their grandparents involvement in WW2. While many have fascinating stories, and some have photos, only one of our friends gave me her grandfather's old photos. There are 500 pics in total but i've only scanned these few so far.

https://imgur.com/a/ztycPLZ#op7JQcG
Yes, they are superb images so far especially those of Schönberger. This one of Sepp Dietrich, with map board, and Schönberger exiting what was likely a tactical anlage is a very nice image.

Image


Your friend does not understand that early Panzer-Regiment 1 images from LAH are not too common and at 500 you have quite the horde. Congratulations. I am sure your PM inbox will be full. If you are made an offer don't be a fool and let them go cheap as most will try to take advantage of someone who knows little about them. Dealers especially.

Schönberger was a very capable, well thought of leader of Panzer-Regiment 1. His death left a gap filled by some who were not so capable.
Georg Schönberger.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
eindhoven
Member
Posts: 584
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 17:54

Re: My friends grandfather was in the Panzer division of the SS during WW2 and had a camera. Here are the pics

Post by eindhoven » 20 Mar 2020 22:11

This image is a reprint as it's already published since the 90s. It shows the leader of the Aufkl.Zug. of Panzer-Regiment 1 SS-Oscha. Karl Köhnen on the right as viewed and the Spieß of Stab (HQ) Kompanie SS-Hscha. Karl Gallinat. It is a red flag to see published images among unpublished ones but might be your veteran acquired images at some HIAG treffen.

Image

Here is the full image whereas your's is cropped from the negative.
SS-Oscha. Karl Köhnen rechts mit SS-Hscha. Karl Gallinat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oconarms
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: 20 Mar 2020 21:14
Location: Austria

Re: My friends grandfather was in the Panzer division of the SS during WW2 and had a camera. Here are the pics

Post by oconarms » 20 Mar 2020 22:18

eindhoven wrote:
20 Mar 2020 22:11
This image is a reprint as it's already published since the 90s. It shows the leader of the Aufkl.Zug. of Panzer-Regiment 1 SS-Oscha. Karl Köhnen on the right as viewed and the Spieß of Stab (HQ) Kompanie SS-Hscha. Karl Gallinat. It is a red flag to see published images among unpublished ones but might be your veteran acquired images at some HIAG treffen.

Image

Here is the full image whereas your's is cropped from the negative.

SS-Oscha. Karl Köhnen rechts mit SS-Hscha. Karl Gallinat.jpg
Thank you for that. Would you mind telling me where the original of this was published?

User avatar
Cult Icon
Member
Posts: 1710
Joined: 08 Apr 2014 19:00

Re: My friends grandfather was in the Panzer division of the SS during WW2 and had a camera. Here are the pics

Post by Cult Icon » 20 Mar 2020 22:20

I am not a collector so cannot comment further but this site is filled with collectors:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/index.php

These photos should be very valuable to them and they should pay a high price if you want to sell them.

oconarms
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: 20 Mar 2020 21:14
Location: Austria

Re: My friends grandfather was in the Panzer division of the SS during WW2 and had a camera. Here are the pics

Post by oconarms » 20 Mar 2020 22:23

Cult Icon wrote:
20 Mar 2020 22:20
I am not a collector so cannot comment further but this site is filled with collectors:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/index.php

These photos should be very valuable to them and they should pay a high price if you want to sell them.
Thanks. We aren't interested in selling. Just getting more information and perhaps learning a bit.

PatrickBateman
Member
Posts: 182
Joined: 27 Nov 2014 11:53
Location: The Netherlands

Re: My friends grandfather was in the Panzer division of the SS during WW2 and had a camera. Here are the pics

Post by PatrickBateman » 20 Mar 2020 22:47

Very interesting photos so far, thanks for sharing. I look forward to see more, a relative of mine was also in the Leibstandarte.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”