HDV 38/12 Kriegsgefangenlager

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
NicoH

HDV 38/12 Kriegsgefangenlager

Post by NicoH » 26 Jun 2020, 13:21

Hello All

I would like to aks your assistance in a difficult question. I am researching a local history topic of the Village of Bergschenhoek /Netherlands.

In September 1940 the German forces started to built a rather large POW camp, intended for Allied(in this time probably British) POW,s the Germans wer hoping to make in the event of the planned invasion of Britain.
Information on this camp is rarely found. The camp was finished in 1941 and comprised an area of 38 Hectares and apparently in the camp a total of more than 200 Baracks were constructed. Also Guardtowers were constructed .
The camp was never used for POWs 'but used later by reforming German units (eg in 1943 the 376 Inf Div reformed in the area after Stalingrad).
Given the uniform appearance of this camp compared to other german camps it is most likely that regulations existed detailing how such a camp should be constructed.
I did search and found that Heeresdruckvorschrift 38/12 (H.Dv. 38/12 (M.Dv. Nr. 38/12, L.Dv. 78/12) Vorschrift für das Kriegsgefangenenwesen Teil 12.- Dienstanweisung über Raumbedarf, Bau und Einrichtung eines Kriegsgefangenenlagers ) gives details of such a camp, regarding to size, area type of baracks in the camp etc.
I am hoping someone can help me with scans/copies of this HDv38/12.

On the Germandocsinrussia website (FIndbuch 12480, akte 132) a 1941 HDV319/2 about Behelfmässiges Bauen im Kriege also details a POW camp. However this HDV 319/2 is dated 1941, and in this 1941 HDv are many referneces to HDv 38/12. Also given the date this HDv319/2 appeared(1941) it ist too late to be appicable to the Bergschenhoek POW camp. Therefore I would like to see the 1939 HDv38/12, to compare with Aerialphotographs of the site.

Hoping that some one is able to help me, many thanks beforehand

best regards from the Netherlands

Nico

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”