Waffen-SS Demobilisation

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Zirran

Waffen-SS Demobilisation

Post by Zirran » 22 Jul 2020, 01:16

Hey guys.

So a long time ago. I came a across something that, I thought was in one of my books, but can't find in any of them. So I tried to google it and still couldn't find it. But I wrote down luckily and trying to find the source of it. It dealt with victory on the eastern front and what Himmler was going to do with the Waffen-SS.

Here's what I wrote down:

After demobilisation only a snippet of the armed SS would remain, equivalent to 5 per cent of the standing army, it would be a volunteer elite force for political police duty in Germany, it would be composed of men above fraternisation with the proletariat and the underworld. “after the war there would be many rebellious peoples to rule, the SS would be put in charge of these people, the SS transformed into a special service branch, equipped with all arms including air weapons and under Hitler’s personal command.”

Anyone know where I may have picked that up from?

I did find something similar in the book "Heinrich Himmler: A Detailed History of his Offices, Commands, and Organisations in Nazi Germany", page 353, in a speech Himmler gave in Posen in 1943. Himler states "for the first half year after the war, we'll work as if the big attack were coming the very next day. We must have an operational reserve of 20, 25, or 30 intact Waffen-SS Divisions at the negotiations for peace or an armistice."

GregSingh

Re: Waffen-SS Demobilisation

Post by GregSingh » 23 Jul 2020, 01:56

It appears in several secondary sources. Apparently written/said? by Hitler to OKW in March 1941.
But I have not seen a primary document yet confirming this claim.

Mentioned in:
Ulrich von Hassell Diaries, 1938–1944.
Ulrich von Hassell Diaries.jpg
Ulrich von Hassell Diaries.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 1375 times

or here on this Forum:
viewtopic.php?t=157678

Perhaps it's from March 30, 1941 Hitler's speech to generals in Reich Chancellery, but I don't have a full text.
If you want to research this further, try this:
Hitler and Stalin in Perspective: Secret Speeches on the Eve of Barbarossa, Jürgen Förster and Evan Mawdsley

Zirran

Re: Waffen-SS Demobilisation

Post by Zirran » 23 Jul 2020, 13:37

Thnak you GregSingh.

With what you have provided I managed to find that I found it in the book "The SS Alibi of a Nation 1922-1945", p. 151. From Nuremberg Document D664; IMT XX, pp. 313, 321.

Will check out "Ulrich von Hassell Diaries" and "Hitler and Salin in Perspective" for more information.

Thanks.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”