Tiger 231 1946 field location today - Gunter Boldt - Wittmann

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
headwest

Re: Tiger 231 1946 field location today - Gunter Boldt - Wittmann

Post by headwest » 30 Jul 2020, 15:40

I went back and looked at the Aug 8 view and this one hull is still there. not of course saying this is it but its still in a field, in the outskirts, with trees in front like the picture.
Bour Aug 8 hull.jpg
Bour Aug 8 hull.jpg (136.59 KiB) Viewed 268 times

headwest

Post by headwest » 30 Jul 2020, 15:54

i also timelined google earth and that field was still there in 2004 so i could pinpoint those hulls exactly to today
231 maybe.jpg
231 maybe3.jpg

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 30 Jul 2020, 16:11

Troteval marked on this view to show fighting was going on both sides of the main road (blue line) from Caen to Falaise. The Tigers would be moving to get south of Troteval (Verriers)
0013 430_534 18  July  Soliers Hubert Bras .   (2)fw.jpg
Beauvoir-Troteval-Verrieresgg.jpg
Beauvoir-Troteval-Verrieresgg.jpg (110.76 KiB) Viewed 265 times

headwest

Post by headwest » 30 Jul 2020, 16:43

Thanks Michael

I think what your trying to tell me is....I'm wrong lol

i appreciate all the help though, and the pics are of course amazing. you would think with all these aerials right around and after july 20, we could find it though. I am hoping Yann does take this up at some point since he is in France and he did say it was a topic he was interested in at some point.

well, i tried my best with the resources and time i have lol, it was fun while it lasted. thanks again Michael!

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 30 Jul 2020, 17:24

headwest wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 16:43
I am hoping Yann does take this up at some point since he is in France and he did say it was a topic he was interested in at some point.
I have known Yann for over 10 years so I know exactly what he knows and what he is working on. Its very tempting to see something in an area you want to see something and it could well be there. However been out on too many limbs that broke to want to try it again!

headwest

Post by headwest » 30 Jul 2020, 17:48

cool Michael! I look at you like Yann, you KNOW so MUCH! I only wish I had the time, or even the know how to find all of this out.

I have a special interest int he US Civil War as well, and actually did historical research on a soldier that Gettysburg NPS and some books had WRONG! and I corrected them thru 9 years of research that took me all over, and then I didn't even get credit, well some but others who helped me, once they found the story was interesting to alot of people, well they got interviewed and took credit lol so i kind of know what you mean.

i don't know if it helps any, but i REALLY appreciate, and I mean REALLY appreciate your time on alot of these posts. you can tell i don't know a lot, but i am enthusiastic and i want no credit or to turn anything negative, i just want to learn and would love to solve a couple of mysteries here and there. especially this one for some reason

Yann had said to me when i asked a while back that he knew of the tank of course and at some point he wanted to find the location but was working on alot of other stuff. i recently sent him this new info as well just to update him, as well as posting here, i told him you were a big help lol

anyway, i really thought I had something this time. Do you think this can ever be found? with all these aerials, the records etc, the dates and all the info there is, you would think we could find it. there has to be a photo of it from close to the battle but then an aerial in 46 possibly to? the area isnt that large, well it kind of is, but its not like we are searching all of france.

ok sorry so long, just excited! thanks again! oh id never cut the limb off, id set up a ladder for you!

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”