Family research Fate of my grandfather

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Cwaines

Family research Fate of my grandfather

Post by Cwaines » 11 Aug 2020, 18:59

Hello
I am trying to find out why my grandfather was shot by the Russians in Berlin on November 7 1945.
He was employed at Siemens as a production engineer until April of 1945 when he disappeared after the Russians captured the city. I recently contacted Siemens and the archivist informed me that in 1956 my grandmother inquired about a pension and they then must have investigated and received the information he had been shot which was noted in his employment file.
I have written to the German Red Cross and have received no answer. Could someone point me to other resources for my search please?

Cwaines

Re: Family research Fate of my grandfather

Post by Cwaines » 11 Aug 2020, 22:05

I forgot some information. I believe my grandfather was a member of the Volkssturm battalion 3/115 siemensstadt. It is not confirmed but he fit all the criteria. He was employed at Siemens, in his fifties, fit and a World War One veteran. I think he may have been one of the surviving members captured by the Russians. If he was captured on May 2 1945 why was held until November and then executed. I have so many questions that need answers.

aquarya

Post by aquarya » 12 Aug 2020, 15:33

Try the Deutsche Dienstelle.

ErwinZ

Post by ErwinZ » 14 Aug 2020, 08:21

The Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt) has moved to the Bundesarchiv.

Try here: https://www.bundesarchiv.de/EN/Content/ ... en-en.html

Enquires can take a long time. Even if the Red Cross has nothing they will contact.

Cwaines

Post by Cwaines » 14 Aug 2020, 17:42

Thank you. I really appreciate any and all help given. I have heard that there are documents released by the Russians detailing events in the battle of Berlin. I would love to research these sources myself if I knew how to access them. Does anyone know how I can gain access if anything is available?
Thank you again
Cwaines

aquarya

Post by aquarya » 14 Aug 2020, 19:21

How good is your German? Needs to be really good for the archives. Before you go there, I'd start with Tony Le Tissier's book on Berlin, especially Dance of Death, which plays out partially near that part of time. He's British, so everything's in English
Last edited by aquarya on 14 Aug 2020, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

Cwaines

Post by Cwaines » 15 Aug 2020, 00:57

Thank you for the referral to Tony Le Tissier’s books. I had already come across them and felt they would be important to my research. Unfortunately my German isn’t very good since I have not really spoken it since I was a child. I do have a friend who is recently from Germany and may be able to help.
Thank you again I will persevere.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”