Front Aufklärungs Kommando

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Tamari

Re: Front Aufklärungs Kommando

Post by Tamari » 10 Oct 2020, 10:26

Hello Edward, hello krichter33,

thank you for your reply.

You can find a lot of information about FAK / FAT due to the fact hat Biddiscombe had also analyzed the interrogation reports and a hell of other documents like SIGINT reports.
So you will find mostly anything in connection to the Jagdverbände and their relationship to FAK/ FAT and its operations since 1944. The early years of the FAK since operation Barbarossa are not covered because it is not really relevant to Biddiscombe's topic.

I like Paterson's book very much because it is well written and readable. It is one of only books about the Brandenburgers in my possession. Buy it!

Best regards

Robert

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 10 Oct 2020, 11:30

Thanks! I'll buy both of them. So from what I gather so far. German Special Forces/Operations units that existed included: The Brandenburgers (probably the preeminent of all the German special op units), the SS-Jagdverbande (More of a "clone" of the Brandenburgers, though not as successful?), some Fallschirmjager units ( Originally trained as airborne infantry, then mostly used as light infantry, some units conducted what I would consider to be the quintessential type of special forces/special operations type missions, such as Eben Emael, and the rescue of Mussolini. The type of mission one thinks of "special forces" at least in the West) The MEK of the K-Verbande (Midget submarines, but also some "Frogmen" type special forces missions?) of course the FAK II and FAT II (per your post, some, not all, conducted the type of "special operations" that were similar to Brandenburger type operations) and KG-200 ( mostly involved in testing, and special missions dropping agents or other special units behind lines, the II/KG200 was supposedly made up of paratroopers who conducted some missions, like the one at Vercors) I don't know if there are more....

Tamari

Post by Tamari » 10 Oct 2020, 11:57

krichter33 wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 09:52
Thank you again for this great information. I really appreciate it! Can most of this information that you posted about FAK and FAT operations be found in the SS-Hunter Battalions book? Also, I'm planning on ordering Paterson's book Hitler's Brandenburgers. Is it better than previous works on the subject? Also the MEK and Kleinkampf units of the Kriegsmarine were very interesting as well, yet I don't know much about them. Is there any book that deals with their operations? And of course KG 200 is another unit that I find interesting. It's interesting that one doesn't think of the German's in WW2 as having special operations units or conducting clandestine, or special operations. One is usually aware of the operations of the the U.S. and British. However, it does seem the Germans did at least conduct quite a few special operations, successfully or not. Once again thank you so much!
Hello krichter33, hello Edward,

thank you very much for your reply.

A lot of these information can be found in Biddiscombe's book because he had also analyzed all the relevant KV-2 interrogation reports of Abwehr II and FAK-II members from the British National Archive and in addition also the SIGINT ("Ultra") reports. But due to his choosen topic SS-Jagdverbände the book starts more or less with the year 1944 and has only hindsights to the years ealier. But this doesn't rate the book down in my opinion. It is full of details and nevertheless a very good read.

You should definitely buy Lawrence Paterson's book "Hitler's Brandenburger"although I hate this once again too Hitler-centric title.It is one of only two books about this unit in my possession (although I had read some more via friends or libraries). It has a good structure, is full of the history of the Brandenburgers and its more specialzed units like theKüsetnjäger or the Fallschirmjäger and is in addition well written and readable. If you want to have pure Stellenbesetzungs-list maybe Helmuth Spaeter's book would be a better choice.

Lawrence Paterson "Weapons of Desperation: German Frogmen and Midget Submarines of World War II"
https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B07FXRBL ... 808&sr=8-5

and maybe Dr. Michael Jung who had extensively worked on and with Hauptmann Friedrich Hummel had written the book below
https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/07643309 ... 51&sr=8-29

One little short thought at the end of my comment: yes, Germany as well had special operation forces but when it comes to intelligence work and to connect special operations with ongoing larger operations or the overall war situation, I think that especially the United Kingdom and the Soviet-Union had more experience in that kind of operation and more spirit and its pesonnel were at the end better suited for this clandestine work.
Major Dietrich F.Witzel himself assessed that "the German people is no partisan and it will be out of range that Germans can fought a guerilla warfare. Source: Magnus Pahl" Fremde Heere Ost". Maybe this statement has also something or a lot to do with typical German racial prejudices that Slavic people are more keen to this lifestyle and kind of "criminal behaviour" but in my opinion it can also be taken as a general lack of spirit when it comes to high-fly intelligence and special operation by the German military.

Best regards

Robert.

Tamari

Post by Tamari » 10 Oct 2020, 12:08

Sorry, I answered twice to your question about the books because I thougt while submitting my statement,it had gone. :o

here you can find an auction for documents about Heinz Kittner, a tanker who had participated in operation Jaguar together with Eugen Heinrich Weyde.
https://www.auction.fr/_en/lot/unteroff ... m-14005941

Kittner, Heinz (Unteroffizier) :milwink:
Heinz Kittner gehörte dem Regimentsstab des Panzerregiments 29 an und erhielt am 12.05.1944 das Kraftfahrtbewährungsabzeichen in Bronze verliehen. Zudem wurde ihm durch General Otto Wöhler am 04.01.1945 das Eiserne Kreuz 2. Klasse sowie als Angehörigem der Panzerversuchsstelle 200 die Tapferkeitsauszeichnung für Ostvölker 2. Klasse in Silber und als Angehörigem des FAT 213 durch seinen Vorgesetzten Hauptmann Kurt Reinhardt (FAK 206) das Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber verliehen. Aus diesen Auszeichnungen geht hervor, dass Unteroffizier Kittner als Soldat der Panzertruppe unter Leutnant Eugen Weyde, am Unternehmen Jaguar beteiligt gewesen war.

Hauptmann Kurt Reinhard was the superior officer of Eugen Weyde.

Best regards

Robert

Tamari

Post by Tamari » 10 Oct 2020, 12:18

Rossano wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 10:18
Gentlemen, very interesting.
I am working on the Stellenbesetzung of the OKW/Abw. and I have a few FAK (with a few Kdr.) only.
I' m not interested in the FAT. I' d be grateful to You(to all) who can give me :
FAK numbers with their Kdr., possibly with first names, ranks, and dates (from/to when) too.
I hope You' ll help me, thanks.
Hello Rossano,

If you want to have a Stellenbesetzung of OKW/ Amt Ausland/ Abwehr you can find some of them in the below mentioned book, which is a collection of the most important files from the Bundesarchiv about Abwehr’s organizational evolution and business:
Müller, Norbert/ Kaden, Helma: „Das Amt Ausland/Abwehr im Oberkommando der Wehrmacht“, Bundesarchiv, Koblenz 2007.
In this book you can also find something about the PersStärke of the FAK and FAT in October 1944 (As far as I can remember up to 1.700 officers, NCO’s and soldiers) and behind-enemy-lines operations of the FAK before the year 1944.

Regarding the FAK of Abwehr II or MilAmt D, I can only give you a very rude structure like the following:

FAK 201
Major Georg Arnold Kommandoführer ()
Oberstleutnant Karl Strojil Kommandoführer ()
Major Otto Modriniak Kommandoführer (since 1944)

FAK 202
Oberstleutnant Heinz Seeliger Kommandoführer (Killed in action)
Major Dietrich F. Witzel alias Kirn Kommandoführer (since 1944)

FAK 203
Major Georg Arnold Kommandoführer ()
Hauptmann Conrady Kommandoführer (since 1945)

Source: https://www.cryptomuseum.com/intel/abwe ... abwehr.pdf

FAK 204
Oberst Paul Muttray Kommandoführer (killed in action 02.07.1944/ Volksbund Kriegsgräberfürsorge)

Major Roennecke Kommandoführer (according to Biddiscombe) but I read in Peter-Ferdinand Koch’s book “Enttarnt” that a Major Fritz Brennecke was leader of FAK 204 as successor of Muttray. I found a lot in the internet about a Hitler Youth functionary with the name of Fritz Brennecke. Possibly both Brennecke’s are identical. Source: Biddiscombe, Perry: „SS-Hunter Battalions“, S. 58 and Koch, Peter-Ferdinand: „Enttarnt“, S. 141

FAK 205 (Slovakia)
Major Friedrich Brandt Kommandoführer

FAK 206 (Hungary)
Hauptmann Kurt Reinhard Kommandoführer ()

Source: Biddiscombe, Perry: The SS-Hunter Battalions“, S. 117 and https://www.auction.fr/_en/lot/unteroff ... m-14005941

FAK 210 (France)
Major Hans von Uslar Kommandoführer (before he had taken over FAK211 in Italy)
Hauptmann Dr. Wilhelm Gragert Kommandoführer ()
Hauptmann (Hans??) Mühlmann Kommandoführer (after Gragert was wounded in summer 1944)

Source: KV-2968_1 Richard Gerken, S. 83

FAK 211 (Italy)
Major Hans von Uslar Kommandoführer (after his post as leader of FAK 210)

FAK 212 (Italy, later Eastern front)
Major Erwein Thun-Hohenstein Kommandoführer (until summer 1944)

Hauptmann Reuter alias Runge Kommandoführer (successor of Thun-Hohenstein)

Source: Biddiscombe, Perry: The SS-Hunter Battalions“, S. 58

FAK 213 (Lower Countries)
FAK 213 was raised and build up in March 1944 by Hauptmann Richard Gerken in Münster/ Westphalia

Hauptmann Richard Gerken Kommandoführer (since March 1944)

Best regards

Robert

Rossano

Post by Rossano » 10 Oct 2020, 12:44

Many thanks Robert !
If You (or/and others) find/have more, pls............
Best Rgds., Rossano
P.S.: for me You wrote Reinhard (206) but before (under Kittner) You wrote Reinhardt, so ?

Tamari

Post by Tamari » 10 Oct 2020, 13:09

Hello Rossano,

It is more likely Reinhardt, Kurt because this can be seen on the documents.

In addition in the below mentioned book his name is also Kurt Reinhardt.

https://books.google.de/books?id=D1WqCA ... na&f=false

Reinhardt was not only leader of FAK 206 but also of FAK 212 (until December 1942) and FAK 205 (until March 1943) and since April 1943 until June 1944 leader of FAK 203.

Unfortunately some information in this book are not correct so it is questionable if this information are totally correct.

Best regards

Robert.

Tamari

Post by Tamari » 10 Oct 2020, 13:22

Sorry, I forgot to give you to two links about the Finnish Erna group and Kurt Reinhardt's participation on the group's operations.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erna_lo ... ance_group

See also the following link about diplomatic trouble between Russia and the West regarding Finnland's honoring of the Erna group.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erna_Raid

Best regards

Robert

Rossano

Post by Rossano » 10 Oct 2020, 13:49

Thanks for the additional info ! Best rgds.

Tamari

Post by Tamari » 10 Oct 2020, 19:08

Hello,

here you can find in German language action reports of the FAT 359 (Hauptmann Schoewitz) and FAT 365 (Major Kiesewetter) and FAT 134 (Hauptmann Koberg) in November/ December 1944, which were subordinated to AOK 25 in the Netherlands.
https://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/de/ ... ect/zoom/4 (pages 10 -17).

Best regards

Robert

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 11 Oct 2020, 09:22

Thanks for the information! I'll buy the other Paterson and the Jung book as well! Of course, German intelligence during the war was abysmal. Along with logistics it was one of the main areas that they failed in. And while a lot of the German special operations and units might be impressive, without a larger operational or strategic goal, it's merely tactical. The only German special operation that I can think of that might qualify for a larger operational, strategic type mission, would be the capture of Eben Emael.

Tamari

Post by Tamari » 12 Oct 2020, 06:00

Good morning krichter33,

you will enjoy this books.

We can talk for hours about intelligence and special operations but at the end your short assessment is the right answer.

I saw some operations besides Eben Emael which had strategic aims and could have been a major impact on the political and military landscape but as always they were conducted with a "to little to late" attitude or directly undermined by other Reich's institutions or the overall policy.

The try to destabilize India via Afghanistan (Operation Tiger) was a interesting but to send two operatives (Fred Hermann Brandt and Dr. Manfred Oberdörffer) and establish one with Dietrich Witzel in Kabul seems not enough to confront an overseas Empore.
Also "Operation Kirn" as well conducted by Witzel in 1944 had a strategic goal to up a large resistance forme behind Soviet lines but it was to late. I would have been more successful if Germany had the Ukrainians in Summer 1941 after the Lemberg declaration granted some status of autonome.

Best regards
Robert

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 13 Oct 2020, 05:58

I imagine that Waldemar Goettler even when he was awarded the Knight's Cross in 1943 still continue to do daring feats behind Soviet lines on the Eastern front until the very end of WWII for Germany. I don't know how many missions in total though. Yes Goettler had to pay the penalty for the Soviets by being shot by the firing squad.
Operation 'Jaguar' had more success on the Eastern Front than Panzer Brigade 150 on the Western Front in terms of using captured Allied tanks.

Edward L. Hsiao

dan_pol12

Post by dan_pol12 » 14 Nov 2020, 10:54

Hello Tamari,

I have a quick question, you mentioned in your post the name of Feldwebel/ later Leutnant Dr. von Moritz alias von Loewen- My question is would that be the commander of Einheit Schill? I have a Soldbuch which I‘m researching but I have my doubts on his signature...

Thanks in advance !

Tamari

Post by Tamari » 14 Nov 2020, 16:49

Hi Dan,

Lt. Moritz or Loewen was definitely associated with Einheit Schill/ Streifkorps Schill. As far as I remember in one file from Kew it was mentioned that he was in charge of the Schill trainingscamp.

It would be great if you could share the result of your research. Thanks in advance and best regards

Robert

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”