12./Fallshirmjager z.b.V at Stoumont

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
theforger

12./Fallshirmjager z.b.V at Stoumont

Post by theforger » 27 Apr 2021, 07:49

interested in information on the above unit.

A "Fallshirmjager company" crop up in lots of accounts of KG Peiper, sometimes in two places at once, Stavelot and further West at Stoumont, there was more than one.

A company were assigned to Peiper from Fallshirmjager regiment.9 of the 3rd Fallshirmjager Division from Lanzerath. It would be nice to know which one? This company are pictured riding on King Tiger's at Kaiserbaracke. And fought in and around Stavelot on the 18th & 19th.

Most of regiment.9 were deployed near Waimes 19th December (Rudi Fruhbeisser).

The 12./Fallshirmjager z.b.V are mentioned in Duel in the Mist much further West in the attack on Stoumont on the 19th December. Unit details from prisoner of war records.

Why were these Skorzeny reserves with KG Peiper?

Why are they not mentioned in any march description of the KG until Stoumont? They must have been allocated to the KG from the off, they couldn't realistically have negotiated the muddy roads past KG Knittel, Sandig and Hansen. Seems a long way to go on the back of different tank units, through Honsfeld etc, without SPW transport, and remain a cohesive unit?

I would be grateful of any clarity.

Simon H

Re: 12./Fallshirmjager z.b.V at Stoumont

Post by Simon H » 27 Apr 2021, 16:22

There was more than one company from FJ Rgt 9 with KG Peiper, as well as elements of 12. FJ. zbv joining later.

Initially it appears that soldiers from the 2nd, 3rd and 7th Kompanie FJR9 are with Peiper after Lanzerath. (Casualty evidence).

I assume that 12. FJR zbv were in the same locality, although I don't recall reading it shared the same Rollbahn. It was certainly not a huge distance away as it participated in the abortive assault on Malmedy on the 20th.
WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken Identification.

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 27 Apr 2021, 18:17

I seem to recall that they were not assigned to Pieper at all. He bullied the commander of FJ Regiment 9 to take the soldiers with him after the debacle at Lanzerath. They may not have been a single company.

Simon H

Post by Simon H » 27 Apr 2021, 20:54

Sheldrake wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 18:17
I seem to recall that they were not assigned to Pieper at all. He bullied the commander of FJ Regiment 9 to take the soldiers with him after the debacle at Lanzerath. They may not have been a single company.
Agreed, they were poached by Peiper as their advance had stalled at Lanzerath. Definitely more than a single company were then with KG Peiper from then on, right through to the kessel in La Gleize.
WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken Identification.

theforger

Post by theforger » 13 Jul 2021, 20:49

I've found out Roppelt in his book from the early 90's auf der Spur mentions troops from I and III battalions of 9FJR went with Peiper, page 431.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”