Grandfathers Wehrpass

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Markozal

Grandfathers Wehrpass

Post by Markozal » 16 Aug 2021, 19:46

I got a nice birthday present this year, my Grandfathers Wehrpass. My female cousin was going to throw away a lot of family photos and other bits, I asked her not to but that Isolde have them, I got my Grandmothers MutterKreutz for having 6 kids,and what looked like a Green passport, I found a helpful sight and worked my way through it. He joined the Kaisers Army in May 1916 and was de mobbed in May 1920. He had been in a French POW camp. On page 24 awards section was an entry I didn't understand the writing is archaic handwritten German,I contacted my Surviving uncle in Germany and he told me it read Iron Cross awarded to soldier at the front !
He then sent me a picture of it.Grandad got called back up in August 1939 and again in May 1940' he was de mobbed in May 1943 aged 45 years.
Weapons he qualified in were Gewher 98 and Granaten Werfer 16.
A lot of the entries are abbreviations which makes it hard work. :milwink:

Markozal

Re: Grandfathers Wehrpass

Post by Markozal » 16 Aug 2021, 19:49

IMG_3909.JPG
IMG_3908.JPG
IMG_3907.JPG
Markozal wrote:
16 Aug 2021, 19:46
I got a nice birthday present this year, my Grandfathers Wehrpass. My female cousin was going to throw away a lot of family photos and other bits, I asked her not to but that Isolde have them, I got my Grandmothers MutterKreutz for having 6 kids,and what looked like a Green passport, I found a helpful sight and worked my way through it. He joined the Kaisers Army in May 1916 and was de mobbed in May 1920. He had been in a French POW camp. On page 24 awards section was an entry I didn't understand the writing is archaic handwritten German,I contacted my Surviving uncle in Germany and he told me it read Iron Cross awarded to soldier at the front !
He then sent me a picture of it.Grandad got called back up in August 1939 and again in May 1940' he was de mobbed in May 1943 aged 45 years.
Weapons he qualified in were Gewher 98 and Granaten Werfer 16.
A lot of the entries are abbreviations which makes it hard work. :milwink:

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”