SS-Panzergrenadier-Ausbildungs-und-Ersatz-Bataillon 3 during Warsaw Uprising...

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Harro

SS-Panzergrenadier-Ausbildungs-und-Ersatz-Bataillon 3 during Warsaw Uprising...

Post by Harro » 23 Aug 2021, 15:34

Is anything known about the involvement of SS-Panzergrenadier-Ausbildungs-und-Ersatz-Bataillon 3 in the Warsaw Uprising? Particularly in September and October 1944.

GregSingh

Re: SS-Panzergrenadier-Ausbildungs-und-Ersatz-Bataillon 3 during Warsaw Uprising...

Post by GregSingh » 24 Aug 2021, 06:43

I thought this unit was out of Warsaw by end of July 1944 ?
Do you think some companies were trapped when upraising started?
There was 4.Kp. in Narbuttakaserne and MG.Kp. in Stauferkaserne back in April, I think.

Harro

Re: SS-Panzergrenadier-Ausbildungs-und-Ersatz-Bataillon 3 during Warsaw Uprising...

Post by Harro » 24 Aug 2021, 10:48

The unit consisted of about six hundred men and was based in the ‘Stauferkaserne’, the SS barracks at 4 Rakowiecka Street in the Mokotów district of Warsaw. In August and September 1944, following the outbreak of the Warsaw Uprising, over a thousand Poles were imprisoned in the barracks which acted as a makeshift prison. They were held hostage and would be executed if the insurgents did not put down their arms and that Poles would be shot for every German who got killed. In August and early September over 100 Poles were executed and about 70 more disappeared.

I know for a fact that SS-Panzergrenadier-Ausbildungs-und-Ersatz-Bataillon 3 was still in the Stauferkaserne when fresh recruits arrived there in the first week of September.

On the 24th of September, the German forces launched their main assault on Upper Mokotów. The district fell after four days of fierce fighting. Dozens of wounded and nurses in several captured field hospitals were murdered and more than seventy men from Mokotów were shot in Kazimierzowska Street on suspicion of taking part in the uprising. The Home Army tried to escape through the sewers but some got lost and were captured. About 140 were shot in Dworkowa Street, another ninety-eight in Chocimska Street. It seems likely that the battalion was also involved in this but I don't have hard evidence.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 24 Aug 2021, 11:23

I'm guessing there has to be some discrepancy between sources.
This unit is not listed as a part of Korpsgruppe von dem Bach in AOK 9 reports ?
Also there are transfer orders (19/20 of Sep) for recruits from this unit, out from Neuzelle, that means some companies of SS-PG-Ausb-E-Btl 3 were already in Neuzelle before that date.
I'm aware of this article and sources, but there is lack of German sources there.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gef%C3%A4 ... ferkaserne

Harro

Post by Harro » 24 Aug 2021, 11:46

Greg, see my PM

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”