Purpose of the volunteer companies within Jagdverband "Nordwest"

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Lasse

Purpose of the volunteer companies within Jagdverband "Nordwest"

Post by Lasse » 02 Sep 2021, 10:38

Hi,

Could anyone share some light on the Jagdverband Nordwest. My understanding is that when transferred to the Waffen-SS during the fall of 1944 it was decided to organize the Jagdverband Nordwest based on four ordinary companies, and four companies composed of foreign volunteers. I know that one of these companies was intended to be Swedish, under command of SS-Ustuf. Gunnar Eklöf (assigned as company commander in late 1944).

I have however limited knowledge on the purpose of the foreign volunteer companies. Could anyone share some light on why these companies were organized (or attempted to be organized), what their mission would be and how these companies would differ from the "ordinary" companies?

Based on my research I know that when Swedish volunteers arrived from AuE 11 in Graz in early 1945, they were informed by Eklöf that they would be inserted behind the enemy lines, which promptly made the volunteers understand that it was time to return to Sweden. However, any clarification on the actual purpose and reason would be greatly appreciated.

Tamari

Re: Purpose of the volunteer companies within Jagdverband "Nordwest"

Post by Tamari » 02 Sep 2021, 22:25

Hi Lasse,

if your are really interested in a deeper understanding of the SS-Jagdverbände and its origins and actions you should buy Dr. Perry Biddiscombe's "The SS Hunter battalions".

Below you will find an interrogation report of SS-Sturmbannführer Karl Radl, Otto Skorzeny's trusted lieutenant. Maybe it is a good starter for you.

https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/documen ... 098d515871

Screenshot_20210902-222130_Dropbox.jpg
20210902_222317.jpg
20210902_222303.jpg
20210902_211452.jpg
Karl Radl

Here you can find some information about Heinrich Hoyer, the interesting commander of SS-Jagdeinsatz Nordwest.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=143823&p=2317629&h ... r#p2317629

Best regards
Robert

Lasse

Re: Purpose of the volunteer companies within Jagdverband "Nordwest"

Post by Lasse » 06 Sep 2021, 11:11

Dear Robert,

Thank you kindly. While I do not have that book, I have gone through quite a lot of the documents available from the CIA based on interrogations with different persons involved in the RSHA Amt VI and the Jagdverband. I understand that the book is to a large extent based on this material? This far, I am yet to find any information confirming the idea behind the volunteer-companies.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”