1st Ski Jäger Battalion/Division

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Poot

1st Ski Jäger Battalion/Division

Post by Poot » 07 Sep 2021 18:55

All,
If possible, I'd like to find sources or discussions regarding the initial composition of this unit, and if their infantry units were considered to have been higher quality and more capable than standard light infantry or other designated 'Jager' units serving in other areas of operations. I'm avoiding using the term 'elite,' as many tend to apply that subjectively. However, this unit seems to have been considered better than most. Here are some specific questions I have:

1.) Why did this unit appear to have been used as a test bed for new weapons and kit, even when other units (like W-SS or other, popularly conceived 'elite' units like the GD Division) continued to use standard small arms and equipment? I ask this question because there are photos of them fielding MP43s in 1943, well before better known units fielded them.

2.) Were they considered to be similar in training, role and use to Gebirgsjager units, except for technical climbing applications?

3.) Why were Ski Jager (and the 6th SS-Gebirgsjager units, for that matter) used in heavily forested combat environments instead of standard light infantry? Did they both receive similar, terrain-specific training?

Thanks,
Pat
He who lives by the sword, should train with it frequently.

FORBIN Yves

Re: 1st Ski Jäger Battalion/Division

Post by FORBIN Yves » 09 Sep 2021 17:50

Unusual ID reinforced in tanks and artillery as the 78 ID elite units

1. Skijäger-Division.png
h : hommes : mens
1. Skijäger-Division notes.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DirkAH

Post by DirkAH » 10 Sep 2021 11:42

Poot wrote:
07 Sep 2021 18:55
1.) Why did this unit appear to have been used as a test bed for new weapons and kit, even when other units (like W-SS or other, popularly conceived 'elite' units like the GD Division) continued to use standard small arms and equipment? I ask this question because there are photos of them fielding MP43s in 1943, well before better known units fielded them.
IIRC Ski-Jäg.Brig. 1, LSSAH, Das Reich and GD received MP43/1 at roughly the same time for troop trials in autumn 1943. Ski-Jäg.Brig. 1 received more but AFAIK Kav.Rgt. Mitte for example was slated to receive 500 around that time as well,
My guess would be that the guns were available at the time were the unit was extended into a brigade size formation and therefore offered an ideal opportunity for an extended trial during the upcoming winter.
Ciao

Poot

Post by Poot » 11 Sep 2021 17:11

Thank you, FORBIN Yves and DirkAH. Winter combat trials makes sense.

Any idea why a unit like this would be assigned to heavily forested areas, as opposed to other units?

Pat
He who lives by the sword, should train with it frequently.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”