Ersatztruppen of the Heer and Waffen-SS

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Der Rittmeister

Ersatztruppen of the Heer and Waffen-SS

Post by Der Rittmeister » 20 Sep 2021 10:47

Hi, i am wondering if there was any difference between Heer and Waffen-SS Ersatz units throughout the war. Initially i have got the impression that most Waffen-SS divisions had their own respective (Not just Feldersatz) Ersatz Battalions, while the Heer did not.. Like; SS-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Panzergrenadier-Bataillon 1 (LSSAH) while the Heer did not have their own units, specifically the Panzer Troops. Any help is greatly appreciated!

wwilson

Re: Ersatztruppen of the Heer and Waffen-SS

Post by wwilson » 20 Sep 2021 11:38

while the Heer did not have their own units, specifically the Panzer Troops
Quick check on 1. PzD shows they had an Ersatz battalion formed on 26 August 1939. I'm reasonably sure the Ersatzheer was already established when the war began.
Bei der Mobilmachung am 26. August 1939 wurde aus Teilen des Allgemeinen Heeresamtes (AHA) eine Abteilung Chef der Heeresrüstung und Befehlshaber des Ersatzheeres (BdE) im Oberkommando des Heeres (OKH) gebildet.
(wikipedia.de)

Cheers

Der Rittmeister

Post by Der Rittmeister » 20 Sep 2021 14:02

wwilson wrote:
20 Sep 2021 11:38
while the Heer did not have their own units, specifically the Panzer Troops
Quick check on 1. PzD shows they had an Ersatz battalion formed on 26 August 1939. I'm reasonably sure the Ersatzheer was already established when the war began.
Bei der Mobilmachung am 26. August 1939 wurde aus Teilen des Allgemeinen Heeresamtes (AHA) eine Abteilung Chef der Heeresrüstung und Befehlshaber des Ersatzheeres (BdE) im Oberkommando des Heeres (OKH) gebildet.
(wikipedia.de)

Cheers
Do you have the name of the battalion? I struggle to identify the difference between Feldersatz-Bataillon and the Ausbildung-Bataillon.. I have found that the 24. Panzer-Division had Ersatz- und Ausbildung-Panzergrenadier-Bataillon 413 but i am not sure if this battalion was binded to the division, or the Ersatzheer..

Same with the SS.. Was the SS-Ersatz- und Ausbildung-Panzergrenadier-Bataillon 1 binded to the LSSAH and stationed outside Berlin, bounded to the LSSAH.. And if this was exactly the same for other SS divisions..

Cheers

wwilson

Post by wwilson » 20 Sep 2021 14:52

For the 1. PzD, it was Panzer-Ersatz Abteilung 1.

As far as I know, these Ersatz units were part of the Ersatzheer and not units organic to the divisions. They had, however, a connection to "their" divisions in that (in theory) they were to provide the replacement personnel to make good casualties.

The SS subordinated their Ersatz battalions, according to Tessin, to the division they supported. But those battalions appear to have been created well after the war started, and I have no idea how SS replacement personnel to units were provided before those battalions were established. By contrast, the German Army's Ersatz battalions were subordinated to higher commands within the Ersatzheer.

The Feldersatz battalions were not the same as the Ersatzheer units. Look here --> viewtopic.php?t=118055

Cheers

DirkAH

Post by DirkAH » 20 Sep 2021 15:01

Generally speaking, the SS divisions each had their own training and replacement units for their infantry formations but for the more specialized troops i.e. Nachrichten/signals, Artillerie/artillery etc. So, yes SS-Pz.Gren.Ers.u.Ausb.Btl. 1 was tied to the LSSAH.
The Heer used a more general system were the units of the Ersatzheer each supplied subunits of numerous formations. For example, in the case of the 24. Pz.Div., Pz.Rgt. 24 was tied to Panzer-Ersatz-Abteilung 15, Panzergrenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 413 supplied replacements to Panzergrenadier-Regiment 21 and 26 (and various other formations). The exception were the Feldherrnhalle and Großdeutschland Ersatz-Brigades that supplied the corresponding divisions.
Last edited by DirkAH on 20 Sep 2021 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
Ciao

Der Rittmeister

Post by Der Rittmeister » 20 Sep 2021 15:51

DirkAH wrote:
20 Sep 2021 15:01
Generally speaking, the SS divisions each had their own training and replacement units for their infantry formations but for the more specialized troops i.e. Nachrichten/signals, Artillerie/artillery etc. the SS also used dedicated replacement units for all divisions. So, yes SS-Pz.Gren.Ers.u.Ausb.Btl. 1
The Heer used a more general system were the units of the Ersatzheer each supplied subunits of numerous formations. For example, in the case of the 24. Pz.Div., Pz.Rgt. 24 was tied to Panzer-Ersatz-Abteilung 15, Panzergrenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 413 supplied replacements to Panzergrenadier-Regiment 21 and 26 (and various other formations). The exception were the Feldherrnhalle and Großdeutschland Ersatz-Brigades the supplied the corresponding divisions.
Thanks for a informative answer!

Der Rittmeister

Post by Der Rittmeister » 24 Sep 2021 11:11

DirkAH wrote:
20 Sep 2021 15:01
Generally speaking, the SS divisions each had their own training and replacement units for their infantry formations but for the more specialized troops i.e. Nachrichten/signals, Artillerie/artillery etc. So, yes SS-Pz.Gren.Ers.u.Ausb.Btl. 1 was tied to the LSSAH.
The Heer used a more general system were the units of the Ersatzheer each supplied subunits of numerous formations. For example, in the case of the 24. Pz.Div., Pz.Rgt. 24 was tied to Panzer-Ersatz-Abteilung 15, Panzergrenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 413 supplied replacements to Panzergrenadier-Regiment 21 and 26 (and various other formations). The exception were the Feldherrnhalle and Großdeutschland Ersatz-Brigades that supplied the corresponding divisions.
Did the say the Panzer-Ersatz- und Ausbildung-Abteilungen provide Panzers as well or only crewmen?

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”