21 Panzer Div in Normandy missing sources

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Simon Trew 1

21 Panzer Div in Normandy missing sources

Post by Simon Trew 1 » 21 Dec 2021, 10:57

Hello all,

I wonder if anybody can help me fill a few gaps in a section of my forthcoming source guide to the Germans in Normandy?

Reproduced below is the section from Chapter 4 (‘German ground forces and the Normandy campaign (2): Panzer forces, assault gun and anti-tank units, and armoured warfare in Normandy’) that deals with sources relating to 21st Panzer Division.

The section is incomplete, as I still need to check some Allied intelligence sources and one or two other things. But it is getting there.

Please note that some things that readers of this post might identify as ‘missing items’ are in fact listed in other parts of the bibliography. For example, there are a lot of books about Operation ‘Goodwood’, in which 21st Panzer Division was heavily involved. But these are listed in the relevant part of Chapter 2 (‘The Normandy campaign, 6 June – 31 August 1944: strategy, operations and battles’). Likewise, numerous references to 21st Panzer Division appear in the records of armies and corps to which the division was subordinated. But these records are listed in the relevant sections of Chapter 3 (‘German ground forces and the Normandy campaign (1): Army Groups, Armies and Corps’). Chapter 4 also includes many general works on armoured warfare in Normandy, which are described in sections other than the ones I include in this post. Many of these discuss operations by 21st Pz Div.

Specifically, I wonder if anybody can help me with the following things.

First, has any AHF forum user seen (or better still, have) the BA-MA RH 27, RH 39 and RH 82 files listed below (section 2.9a.(i). Archival sources)? If so, please can you tell me what light, if any, they shed on 21st Pz Div’s involvement in the Normandy campaign?

Second, has any AHF forum user ever seen (or better still, have) a copy of Alfred Becker’s diary (last item identified in section 2.9a.(i). Archival sources)? I know of two people who definitely have/had it. Sadly, one of them is dead and I don’t think the other (Alain Verwicht) uses this forum. But for all I know, it might have reached other hands, among them people who use this forum. If so, can you help?

Third, does anybody have the copy of ‘39/45 Magazine’ that includes Part 1 of the rather good article about fighting in the Boise de Bavent – Escoville area that is identified in section 2.9e.(ii). (‘Battles near Caen in June and July’) below? The article is by Didier Lodieu and Philippe Wirton.

Fourth, I would be grateful for suggestions about items I might have missed. I realise that without seeing entries in other chapters that overlap with this subject, it is difficult for people to do this. Still, there may be items that are very focused on 21st Panzer Division that other people know about, but which I have failed to identify up to now.

Thanks very much,

Simon

Extract from Chapter 4 reproduced below [NB If this exceeds the number of permissible characters for a post, I will include the rest of the entry in a second post]:

2.9. 21st Panzer Division (21. Panzer-Division):

The 21st Panzer Division was formed in France in mid-1943, partly by absorbing motorised forces that were already stationed there. In theory, the division was a replacement for the original 21st Panzer Division, which had been destroyed in north Africa. It contained only a small number of veterans from that division. On D-Day, 21st Panzer Division was the only formation of its kind immediately available in the invasion area. It fought throughout the entire campaign, mostly in the Caen sector. The division suffered very heavy losses, although it replaced some of them with personnel from 16th Luftwaffe Field Division when the latter was disbanded in July. At the end of August its remnants retreated across the River Seine. The division was reformed and continued to fight in the West until early 1945. Later it was transferred to the Eastern Front, where it was annihilated during the Battle of Berlin.

For additional sources, see Chapter 3, sections 4.2.1. (I SS Panzer Corps), 4.2.2. (II SS Panzer Corps), 4.2.6. (LXXIV Corps) and 4.2.9. (LXXXVI Corps).

For information about an attached remote-control demolition vehicle unit (315th Funklenk Company), see section 4.3.3. below.

2.9a. Primary sources:

2.9a.(i). Archival sources:

There are extensive records covering operations by the original 21st Panzer Division in North Africa from 1941-43 in the Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv, but little that sheds light on its successor’s activities in Normandy. Those files that appear to contain some relevant material include:

• RH 27-21/41: Divisional supply arrangements, 23 September 1943 – 12 August 1944.
• RH 27-21/42: Divisional quartermaster records, 19 June 1943 – 8 August 1944.
• RH 27-21/44: Divisional orders, 8 March 1943 – 5 August 1944.
• RH 27-21/48: Divisional loss reports, 1944.
• RH 27-21/51: Divisional supply arrangements, March – July 1944.

• RH 39/674: 200th Anti-tank Battalion war diary and appendices, 3 June – 20 July 1944.

• RH 82/62: 192nd Panzergrenadier Regiment supply records, December 1943 – May 1944.

Quite a substantial quantity of original documents relating to 21st Panzer Division’s activities in Normandy were captured by the Russians in 1945 and have become accessible to researchers via the ‘German documents in Russia’ website. They are described below. It is possible that additional material is in Russian hands and may become available after this bibliography is completed. Researchers should consult https://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/de/ ... estand-500 and its various sub-categories for further information.

A small file relating to the division’s organisation and equipment before D-Day is accessible at https://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/de/ ... ect/zoom/4.

The war diary of the division’s field replacement battalion, covering the entire campaign, is at https://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/de/ ... rid/zoom/1.

The war diary of the division’s signals battalion for 14-31 August 1944 is accessible at https://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/de/ ... rid/zoom/1. For the battalion’s strength and losses in Normandy, see https://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/de/ ... rid/zoom/1.

The war diary of one of the division’s motor ambulance platoons is accessible at https://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/de/ ... rid/zoom/1. The diary of the other platoon is at https://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/de/ ... rid/zoom/1. Both journals cover the entire Normandy campaign.

An after-action report for the division’s engineer battalion is accessible at https://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/de/ ... ect/zoom/4. The report covers the period from 31 July – 7 August 1944

During the opening phase of the Normandy campaign, a battle group from 21st Panzer Division fought east of the River Orne, under the overall direction of LXXXI Corps. The corps’ war diary and telephone log for June 1944 contains many references to the battle group’s activities. See IWM Duxford archive, box E 494, folders AL 1537/1 and 1537/2 for details. Additional references appear in LXXXI Corps’ papers in box E 495, folders AL 1537/5, AL 1537/6 and AL 1537/7. Fifteenth Army’s war diary and other papers for June 1944 also contain some useful material (IWM Duxford, box E 491, folders AL 1535/3 and AL 1535/5, and box E 492, folder AL 1535/14).

A folder of Army Group B records in the Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv (RH 19 IX/2) contains a series of 21st Panzer Division situation reports from mid-June 1944. These provide quite granular detail about the division’s activities, its personnel strength and losses, and the formation’s equipment holdings from 17-22 June inclusive (see frames 79-82, 100-03, 108-10, 114-17 and 128-34).

There are occasional references to operations by a 21st Panzer Division battle group during late August in the records of LXXXI Corps (to which 21st Panzer was temporarily subordinated). Probably the most interesting document is a detailed order of battle dated 23 August, which can be found in the IWM Duxford archive, box E 496, folder AL 1538/5.

One document which I was unable to see before completing this bibliography is the diary of Major Alfred Becker, who commanded 21st Panzer Division’s assault gun battalion (Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 200) in Normandy. From published sources, it is evident that his journal survived the war and became available to one or two researchers. Unfortunately, I was unable to gain access to a copy. Judging by material included in Ian Daglish’s Over the Battlefield: Operation Goodwood (Pen & Sword Books Ltd., Barnsley 2005), the diary sheds considerable light on the organisation and activities of this important unit during the 1944 campaign.

2.9a.(ii). Translated documents in Allied intelligence records:

Some interesting items can be found in Allied intelligence records. Organised chronologically, they include:

‘Personalities – 21 Pz Div.’ This report reproduces the contents of a captured document. It includes the names, appointments and dates of birth of 51 officers who belonged to 125th Panzergrenadier Regiment. The list was dated 5 December 1943, so was rather out of date when the invasion began. See Appendix A to Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.11, issued 15 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/220).

‘Renaming of the Panzer Regiment 100 to Panzer Regiment 22.’ This translated order of 4 June 1944 instructs that henceforward, 21st Panzer Division’s tank regiment will be numbered ‘22’ instead of ‘100.’ See Annex to U.S. 82nd Airborne Division’s G-2 Periodic Report No.65, issued 14 June 1944 (NARA II, RG 407, Box 1396, 101-2.2 FUSA G-2 Journal and File, 14 June 1944).

The German-language text of ten signals sent by 21st Panzer Division units on 6-7 June, which were intercepted by the British, are in the UK National Archives, HW 13/144.

‘Extracts from Complete Diary belonging to a Panzer Schütze of 4 Squadron I/100 Pz Regt 21 Pz Div.’ This is a translation of extracts from a diary kept by a tank crewman in 22nd Panzer Regiment’s 4th Company. Dates covered included 7, 9, 16, 23 and 28 June, and 13 July. The diary contains many details of tank and personnel losses and is accompanied by a sketch map that shows the movements described in the journal. See Appendix B to First Canadian Army’s Intelligence Summary No.30, issued 29 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 179/2605).

‘Extracts from 21 Pz Div news sheets.’ This is a translation of material from captured news sheets issued by 21st Panzer Division to its own personnel on 9, 12, 13 and 14 June 1944. The reports describe German defensive victories and successful counter-attacks in Normandy, and place special emphasis on the contribution made by the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine. Information is also included about the wider political situation and the contents of German wireless news broadcasts. See Appendix C to Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.13, issued 18 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/220).

‘Extracts from 21 Pz Div news sheets.’ This report includes translated extracts from 21st Panzer Division news sheets dated 11 June and 12 July 1944. The documents shed light on Allied morale (as seen by the Germans) and the losses inflicted by 21st Panzer Division during the first few weeks of the campaign. See Appendix C to Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.50, issued 25 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/221).

‘Enemy documents.’ This report summarises the content of various German documents captured by 51st (Highland) Division on 16 June 1944. Information is provided about gallantry awards to members of 21st Panzer Division and also about the division’s vehicle and weapons status reports. Data for the fighting strength of 125th Panzergrenadier Regiment’s 8th Company on 15 June is also included. See Part II of 51st (Highland) Division’s Intelligence Summary No.189, issued 16 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/527).

‘Order for defensive measures in the sector of the reinforced I Bn, 125 P.G.R.’ This is an English-language translation of a detailed order issued by Kampfgruppe von Luck on 19 June, specifying defensive measures to be taken east of the River Orne. See Appendix A to Part II of 51st (Highland) Division’s Intelligence Summary No.196, issued 25 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/527).

‘Reflections in a funkhole.’ This is a translated extract from a notebook taken from a captured member of 192nd Panzergrenadier Regiment’s 6th Company. The writer complains about the effects of British artillery and describes heavy casualties among his own company. See Appendix B to British XXX Corps’ Intelligence Summary No.429, issued 26 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/337).

‘Before and after the invasion.’ This is a translated extract from a diary kept by a German NCO. Circumstantial evidence suggests that he probably belonged to 192nd Panzergrenadier Regiment. The writer recalls with fondness his life before the invasion and notes the effects of incessant enemy artillery fire during late June. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.25, issued 30 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/220).

‘Extract from 21 Pz Div Int Summary No.3 dated 20 June.’ This is a translation of a report produced by 21st Panzer Division’s Ic section on 20 June. It summarises what was known about British forces east and west of the Orne. It also describes the effect of some types of enemy munitions and notes the need for German troops not to shoot at descending individual parachutists, since they may be shot-down Luftwaffe pilots. See Appendix C to British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.27, issued 2 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/221).

‘Translation of extracts from diary.’ This is a translation of a diary kept by Leutnant Ranzinger, 125th Panzergrenadier Regiment, for the period 21 June – 17 July. See Appendix A to Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.48, issued 23 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/221).

‘Translation of orders for defence of east bank of Orne.’ This order was issued by 21st Panzer Division early on 10 July 1944. It warns of an imminent enemy attack east of the River Orne and includes instructions for defensive preparations. It is accompanied by a more detailed order issued by Battle Group Rauch at much the same time, which describes measures to defend the Colombelles area south of Caen, using elements of 192nd Panzergrenadier Regiment, 200th Assault Gun Battalion and attached troops from 46th Luftwaffe Jäger Regiment (16th Luftwaffe Field Division). See Part II of British 8 Corps’ Intelligence Summary (ISUM) No.24, issued 19 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/286). The order is reproduced as Appendix B to Part II of British Second Army’s ISUM 46, issued two days later (UK National Archives, WO 171/221).

‘Delousing.’ This is a translated order issued by 125th Panzergrenadier Regiment’s 1st Battalion on 15 July. It contains instructions for a methodical programme to delouse the entire battalion, starting the next day. See Part II of British 8 Corps’ Intelligence Summary No.24, issued 19 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/286).

‘German Recovery of British Equipment and Subsequent Use.’ This report contains translated extracts from a 21st Panzer Division news sheet dated 16 July. The news sheet describes the results of a battle at Colombelles on 11 July, after which the Germans recovered pieces of British heavy equipment and put them into action against their original owners. One of the items was a Sherman tank. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.51, issued 26 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/221).

‘Enemy Supplies.’ This document reproduces the text of a Panzer Group West order which was forwarded by 21st Panzer Division on 24 July. It specifies the amount of tobacco (cigarettes, cigars, loose tobacco) that should be given to each soldier, and notes that preference should be given to front-line troops. The order is of more general relevance to the subject of German morale during the Normandy campaign. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.65, issued 9 August 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/222).

‘Enemy losses.’ This captured document provides details of the casualties (killed, wounded, missing and ill) suffered by 220th Panzer Engineer Battalion from 6 June to 31 July 1944. See Part II of British Guards Armoured Division Intelligence Summary No.25, issued 3 August 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/376).

‘Enemy Dispositions.’ This is a translation of a divisional operation order, apparently issued on 20 August 1944. The document describes the employment of Battle Group von Luck (with elements of 12th SS Panzer Division under command) in an attempt to close a gap in the front near Vimoutiers. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary (ISUM) No.79, issued 23 August (UK National Archives, WO 171/222). The same document also appears in Appendix A to British Second Army’s ISUM No.83, issued four days later (UK National Archives, WO 171/222).

See also section 1.3.7.2. above, entry under ‘German reports on British interference with their R/T nets’, and section 1.3.7.3., entry under ‘POL dumps.’

A couple of divisional situation reports were translated after the war:

‘Divisional Situation Reports, 24. – 26.6.44’ (5pp.). This is an English-language translation of reports issued by several German units during a three-day period in June 1944. The translation was produced in May 1957 and is in the UK National Archives, CAB 146/332, document 55. The material includes 21st Panzer Division’s situation reports for 24 and 25 June.

2.9a.(iii). Published documents:

Beyond material contained in sources mentioned below (see sections 2.9b.(i)., 2.9b.(ii). and 2.9b.(iii).), nothing that falls into this category appears to have been published.

2.9b. Divisional histories and order of battle:

2.9b.(i). Gliederungen:

Gliederungen and status reports for 21st Panzer Division from July 1943 to April 1945 are in the Inspectorate of Panzer Troops’ files in the Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv (RH 10/158). The file has been digitised and is accessible via the Bundesarchiv website. It contains information about the division’s organisation, personnel and equipment strength at the start of June, July and August 1944, as well as a situation report from early September which sheds light on the formation’s considerable losses in Normandy.

An order of battle chart showing 21st Panzer Division’s D-Day composition is accessible online at http://www.niehorster.org/011_germany/4 ... z-021.html.

See also sections 2.9b.(ii). and 2.9b.(iii). below.

2.9b.(ii). Divisional histories:

Kortenhaus, Werner (trans. & edited by Steinhardt, Frederick): The Combat History of the 21. Panzer Division (Helion & Company Ltd., Solihull 2014; 494pp., maps, illustrations). This is a revised, English-language edition of the author’s 21. Panzerdivision 1943-1945 (Schneider Armour Research, 2007). The book covers the period from the division’s reconstitution in France (following the destruction of the original 21st Panzer Division in Tunisia) to its annihilation during the battle for Berlin. Much of the text (pp.35-302) is concerned with the Normandy campaign. There are several appendices, covering officer appointments, unit organisation, and personnel and equipment strengths. A gliederung dated 1 June 1944 appears on page 439. There is also a useful glossary of military terminology. The author served as a tank crewman in the division’s panzer regiment. He makes extensive use of primary sources and published accounts, as well as his own reminiscences, to produce a detailed divisional history.

Kortenhaus, Werner (trans. & edited by Steinhardt, Frederick): The Combat History of the 21. Panzer Division: Map Book (Helion & Company Ltd., Solihull 2014; 23pp., maps). This is a companion pamphlet to Kortenhaus’s divisional history (see above), containing fourteen maps illustrating 21st Panzer Division’s activities in Normandy.

Perrigault, Jean-Claude: 21. Panzerdivision (Editions Heimdal, Bayeux 2002; 527pp., maps, illustrations). This French-language history of 21st Panzer Division begins by describing the original formation’s activities in North Africa from 1941-3. Part 2 of the book deals with the division’s reconstitution in occupied France (pp.214-21) and its transfer to Lower Normandy at the end of April 1944 (pp.230-7). There is a substantial section covering its experiences on D-Day (pp.238-59) and during the rest of June (pp.260-341). Subsequent chapters describe the division’s activities during July (pp.344-417) and August (pp.418-30), up to its withdrawal across the River Seine. The rest of the book takes the story to the end of the war. There is a detailed English-language summary of the book’s content on pp.493-524. The text is supported by hundreds of photographs from official archives and private collections.

2.9b.(iii). Other sources:

‘Reconstitution of the 21st Panzer Division’ (12pp.). This publication reproduces original German-language documents from July 1943 that provide information about the proposed conversion of ‘Schnelle Brigade West’ into a new 21st Panzer Division. They include a detailed gliederung. The documents were available online at the Sturmpanzer.com website from December 2015, when the material was published. But at the time this bibliography was completed (2022) I could no longer locate them.

‘Summary of information derived from captured documents belonging to 2 Coy 192 PGR.’ This report collates information found in papers taken from one of 192nd Panzergrenadier Regiment’s rifle companies. It describes the organisation of the regiment’s 1st Battalion, the composition of Battle Group Rauch in late May and the official war establishment of a panzergrenadier company. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.5, issued 9 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/220).

Verwicht, Alain: “La 21.Panzer-Division”, in Panzer Voran! Number 6, 2000, pp.24-36. This French-language article describes 21st Panzer Division’s condition on the eve of the invasion. The author provides a gliederung for 1 June 1944, plus lists of vehicles and equipment used by the formation. He describes the organisation of some of the division’s main fighting components, including its tank regiment, its two panzergrenadier regiments and its reconnaissance and anti-tank battalions.

Verwicht, Alain: “La 21.Panzer-Division”, in Panzer Voran! Number 7, 2000, pp.3-9. This French-language article describes the organisation and armament of 21st Panzer Division’s artillery regiment and some other divisional units at the start of June 1944. There are several photographs of self-propelled guns used by the artillery regiment.

Verwicht, Alain: “La Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 200, 1 Juin 1944 (21.Panzer-Division)”, in Panzer Voran! Number 3, 1999, pp.24-5. This French-language article discusses the organisation and equipment of 200th Assault Gun Battalion, which fought in Normandy as part of 21st Panzer Division. The author also discusses several types of armoured fighting vehicle that belonged to the division’s two panzergrenadier regiments.

Verwicht, Alain: “La 5./Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 200 (21. Panzer-Division)”, in Panzer Voran! Number 12, 2001, pp.18-19. This short French-language article seeks to clarify the number of batteries that existed within 21st Panzer Division’s assault gun battalion during summer 1944. The author concludes that it is not especially important to establish whether there were four or five batteries; rather, what mattered was the total number of available weapons.

Verwicht, Alain: “La Sturm-Panzer-Abteilung 200 (21.Panzer-Division) Juin – Juillet 1944”, in Panzer Voran! Number 24, 2004, pp.8-19. In this French-language article the author attempts to clarify the organisation and armament of 21st Panzer Division’s assault gun battalion in Normandy. The unit was equipped with vehicles captured from the French in 1940 and adapted for German use under the direction of Major Alfred Becker, who commanded the battalion during 1944. The article also seeks to establish how many of Becker’s vehicles were destroyed on the first day of Operation ‘Goodwood’ (18 July).

‘Org of 200 Assault Gun Bn.’ This British intelligence report provides interesting details about the organisation of 21st Panzer Division’s assault gun battalion. It includes details of its personnel strength, number and types of weapons, ammunition stocks and wireless equipment. See Part II of British 8 Corps’ Intelligence Summary No.25, issued 20 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/286).

Chazette, Alain: “Historique du Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment 155 de la 21.Panzer-Division”, in 39/45 Magazine, No.197, 2003, pp.38-43. This heavily-illustrated French-language article describes the origins and organisation of 21st Panzer Division’s artillery regiment. There is a regimental gliederung on page 43.

‘Battle Group von Luck.’ This report is based on a captured document dated 19 June (probably the order mentioned in section 2.9a.(ii). above). It describes the composition of Kampfgruppe von Luck and locates its headquarters. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.23, issued 28 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/220).

‘Reihenwerfer.’ This report is based on captured documents, prisoner interrogations and inspection of a knocked-out vehicle. It describes the features of a multi-barrel mortar which was used by 125th and 192nd Panzergrenadier Regiments. The mortar was of French origin, electrically-fired and fitted to half-tracks to provide mobile firepower (16 barrels per vehicle) for the panzergrenadiers. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary (ISUM) No.17, issued 22 June 1944. A more detailed description, based on a test firing from a captured example, is in Part II of British Second Army’s ISUM No.18, issued the following day. A third report, in Part II of British Second Army’s ISUM No.24, issued 29 June, provides additional technical information. See also ‘10 (Reihenwerfer) Coy 192 PGR’ in Second Army’s ISUM No.21, issued 26 June. All of these ISUMs are in the UK National Archives, WO 171/220. See also section 2.9c.(ii). below, entry under ‘21 Panzer Division.’

‘Pz Engr battalions.’ This intelligence report describes the organisation and equipment of 21st Panzer Division’s engineer battalion. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.52, issued 27 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/221).

Verwicht, Alain: “La 21. Panzer-Division, Juillet et Août 1944”, in Panzer Voran! Number 12, 2001, pp.20-33. This French-language article describes 21st Panzer Division’s condition on 1 July and 1 August 1944. Gliederungen for both dates are provided, along with information about the division’s losses during June and July. Close attention is paid to an unusual piece of equipment (i.e. a multiple mortar system mounted on an old French half-track) which was used by the formation’s panzergrenadier regiments. There are six photographs of this vehicle, plus a line drawing.

‘200 Assault Gun Bn.’ This report is based partly on captured documents and describes 200th Assault Gun Battalion’s organisation and equipment. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.48, issued 23 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/221).

For further details of the organisation and equipment of 21st Panzer Division’s assault gun battalion see section 4.1.1. below, entries under ‘Sturm Geschütz Abt (Sturm Geschütz Brigade) – Assault Gun Battalion (Assault Gun Brigade)’ and ‘Tactics of 200 Assault Gun Battalion.’

2.9c. Foreign Military Studies (FMS) manuscripts and interrogation reports:

2.9c.(i). FMS manuscripts:

Feuchtinger, Edgar (trans. Abraham, Doris): ‘History of the 21st Panzer Division from the time of its formation until the beginning of the invasion’ (51pp.; FMS B-441). This document was written from memory in 1946-7 by the officer who commanded 21st Panzer Division throughout the Normandy campaign. The first seventeen pages describe the division’s formation and training, as well as its strengths and weaknesses on the eve of D-Day. The remainder of the manuscript covers fighting around Caen from 6 June up to the division’s move west to counter the British ‘Bluecoat’ offensive at the end of July. The title of the report is misleading, since more than half its contents relate to events after the beginning of the invasion. Part of the document is reproduced in David Isby’s The German Army at D-Day: Fighting the Invasion (Greenhill Books, London 2000; pp.114-21, 221-2 and 239-41). Other extracts are included in Isby’s Fighting in Normandy; The German Army from D-Day to Villers-Bocage (Greenhill Books, London 2001; pp.33-7, 67 and 187).

Feuchtinger, Edgar (no translator identified): ‘History of 21 Pz Div, Normandy Campaign Part II (26 July – 14 September 44)’ (35pp.; FMS B-631). The first twenty pages of this report describe 21st Panzer Division’s role in opposing the British ‘Bluecoat’ offensive in late July – early August, and during the battle for the ‘Falaise Pocket.’ The next ten pages deal with 21st Panzer Division’s withdrawal to and across the River Seine in late August. The remainder of the document takes the story forward to mid-September.

2.9c.(ii). Interrogation reports:

The Allies knew about 21st Panzer Division’s presence in the eastern sector of the invasion area before D-Day, and took prisoners almost immediately after the landings began. Consequently, reports based on information produced during interrogations appears frequently and regularly in British and other intelligence records. Organised chronologically, some of the more interesting reports are described below.

‘21 Pz Div.’ This is an early summary of 21st Panzer Division’s organisation, based on prisoner interrogations. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.6, issued 10 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/220).

’21 Pz Div.’ This updates information produced in the intelligence report described immediately above. It is accompanied (on the following page) by a list of a dozen officers belonging to 192nd Panzergrenadier and 155th Panzer Artillery regiments. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.8, issued 12 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/220).

‘Enemy strength.’ This report provides information about the personnel strength and experiences of 125th Panzergrenadier Regiment’s 2nd Battalion during the opening stages of the Normandy campaign. See Part II of 51st (Highland) Division’s Intelligence Summary No.190, issued 17 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/527).

‘Enemy Order of Battle.’ This detailed intelligence report was produced by 51st (Highland) Division on 20 June 1944. It was based on prisoner interrogations, captured documents and other intelligence gathered by several different British formations. The report provides a detailed summary of the composition and locations of 21st Panzer Division up to the evening of 20 June. See 51st (Highland) Division’s Intelligence Summary I/2/d, issued 21 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/527).

‘Organisation: 200 Fd Ers Bn.’ This report describes the organisation of 200th Field Replacement Battalion’s 2nd Company and its use in battle on 23 June 1944. See Part II of 51st (Highland) Division’s Intelligence Summary No.195, issued 24 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/527).

‘Enemy dispositions / organisation.’ This report provides additional information about the organisation and activities of 21st Panzer Division’s field replacement battalion. See Part II of 51st (Highland) Division’s Intelligence Summary No.196, issued 25 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/527).

‘Org of II/22 Pz Regt.’ This is quite a detailed summary of the organisation and activity of 22nd Panzer Regiment’s 2nd Battalion, based on prisoner interrogations. The report sheds light on various matters, including the unit’s strength and losses during June. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.39, issued 14 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/221).

‘Summary of interrogation reports.’ This report summarises information provided by two German soldiers who were captured near Caen. It confirms that 21st Panzer Division received reinforcements from 361st Panzergrenadier Training Battalion on about 10 July. See Appendix A to Part II of 2nd Canadian Corps Intelligence Summary No.6, issued 16 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 179/2693).

‘220 Pz Engr Bn.’ This intelligence report provides information about the organisation of 21st Panzer Division’s engineer battalion. It suggests that the unit was still in possession of ‘Goliath’ explosive carriers in mid-July (see section 4.3.3. below). See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.52, issued 27 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/221).

‘Org of Supply Coy, II Bn 22 Pz Regt, 21 Pz Div.’ This report describes the organisation of the logistics company belonging to 22nd Panzer Regiment’s 2nd Battalion. It is based on prisoner interrogations. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.56, issued 31 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/221).

’16 GAF Fd Div.’ This report confirms the arrival of large numbers of members of 16th Luftwaffe Field Division as casualty replacements in one of 21st Panzer Division’s panzergrenadier battalions. See Part II of British Guards Armoured Division Intelligence Summary No.24, issued 2 August 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/376).

‘155 Pz Arty Regt.’ This interrogation report provides detailed information about the organisation and equipment of 155th Panzer Artillery Regiment’s 2nd Battalion. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.60, issued 4 August 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/222).

‘Reinforcements to 125 PGR.’ This report is based on the interrogation of seven members of 125th Panzergrenadier Regiment who were captured towards the end of the campaign. It describes the arrival of several batches of reinforcements for their regiment during July 1944. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.60, issued 4 August 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/222).

‘4/125 PGR.’ This interrogation report sheds light on the condition and activities of one of 21st Panzer Division’s panzergrenadier battalions in early August. See Part II of British Guards Armoured Division Intelligence Summary No.27, issued 5 August 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/376).

‘Tactics of 200 Assault Gun Battalion.’ This report is based on the interrogation of several German prisoners from 21st Panzer Division’s assault gun battalion. It describes the equipment and battle tactics used by this unit. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.61, issued 5 August 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/222).

’21 Panzer Division.’ This interrogation report provides details of the ‘Reihenwerfer’ multiple mortar system used by 125th Panzergrenadier Regiment’s 10th Company. Information is provided about the company’s organisation, the weapon and its ammunition, and its use in battle. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary (ISUM) No.61, issued 5 August 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/222). See also Part II of British Second Army’s ISUM No.21, issued 26 June (WO 171/220), which provides details of the organisation of 192nd Panzergrenadier Regiment’s Reihenwerfer company, and section 2.9b.(iii). above, entry under ‘Reihenwerfer.’

‘305 Army AA Bn.’ This is a description of the organisation and equipment of 305th Army Flak Battalion, which was attached to 21st Panzer Division throughout the Normandy campaign. The information was provided by a prisoner. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.62, issued 6 August 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/222).

‘I Bn 125 PGR.’ This interesting order of battle chart is based on information provided by prisoners on 12-13 August. It suggests that 125th Panzergrenadier Regiment was still quite strong (largely as the result of the arrival of casualty replacements) and that it included numerous non-German personnel. See Appendix A to Part II of British 8 Corps’ Intelligence Summary No.46, issued 14 August 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/287).

‘Report on a Selection of PW from 2, 3 and 4 Coys of 125 PGR.’ This detailed interrogation report is based on information provided by a large group of prisoners captured on the night of 14-15 August. The report confirms that the division received numerous casualty replacements in early August. See Appendix A to Part II of British 8 Corps’ Intelligence Summary No.47, issued 15 August 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/287).

‘Special Interrogation Report: Genlt Edgar Feuchtinger, Comd 21 Pz Div (6 June 1944 – 25 Aug 1944)’ (Canadian Military Headquarters Historical Section, 25 August 1945; 9pp.). This document was written by a Canadian officer (probably Milton Shulman) following an interview with the man who commanded 21st Panzer Division during the Normandy campaign. It provides information about the division’s formation, its anti-invasion preparations and operations in Normandy (especially on D-Day). A copy is in NARA II, RG 407, Box 1515. Pages 4-6 of the report are reproduced in a document located in the UK National Archives, WO 223/10.

There are about eighty interrogation reports of members of 21st Panzer Division in the UK National Archives. Many of them are of multiple individuals. All major components of the division are represented. Taken together, the reports provide a large amount of information about the division’s organisation and equipment, the names of its officers, and some of its activities. See WO 208/3590 (SIR 313, 318, 323, 328, 333, 334, 335, 336, 341, 342, 361 and 369), WO 208/3591 (SIR 374), WO 208/3593 (SIR 584), WO 208/3594 (SIR 627), WO 208/3598 (SIR 833), WO 208/3621 (PWIS(H)/14, 17, 23, 31, 32, 33, 35, 36, 38, 44, 48, 50, 51, 52, 56, 57, 69, 71, 72, 79, 80, 81, 84 and 86), WO 208/3622 (PWIS(H)/103, 105, 108, 111, 114, 153, 157, 189 and 191), WO 208/3623 (KP/24), WO 208/3624 (KP/100, 101 and 146), WO 208/3630 (LF/137, 155 and 166), WO 208/3631 (LF/211, 247, 255, 262 and 277), WO 208/3632 (LF/306, 317 and 331), WO 208/3633 (LF/378, 389, 390 and 394), WO 208/3635 (LF/494 and 506), WO 208/3645 (LDC/48), and WO 208/3646 (LDC/52, 88, 136, 137, 138, 180, 183, 193 and 194).

See also section 1.3.1.2. above, entries under ‘Docs of 4/100 (22) Pz Regt’ and ‘Methods.’

2.9d. Unit histories, biographies, memoirs:

2.9d.(i). Unit histories:

There do not appear to be any published histories of units that belonged to 21st Panzer Division.

2.9d.(ii). Biographical information, personal accounts:

Bernage, Georges: “John Howard et Hans von Luck sous la protection de Saint Jean”, in Normandie 1944 Magazine, Number 01, 2012, pp.62-76. This French-language article provides short biographies of two well-known officers who participated in the Normandy campaign, one British and one German. The latter, Hans von Luck, served in 21st Panzer Division. The two men became friends after the war.

Bernage, Georges: “Hans von Luck et la 21. Panzer-Division dans la Bataille de Normandie”, in 39/45 Magazine, No.323, 2014, pp.18-37. This French-language article provides an account of 21st Panzer Division’s involvement in the early stages of the Normandy campaign (6-14 June), focusing on the role of Battle Group von Luck east of the River Orne.

Halm, Günther and Möbius, Ingo (Ed.): Ein Grenadier entscheidet eine Schlacht (self-published, Chemnitz 2012; 385pp., illustrations). For details of this book’s contents see the entry below with Möbius as first-named author.

Höller, Hans; Reisner, Markus; & Hartinger, Andreas (trans. Cherrier, Paul): Sous les orders de Rommel: Des déserts d’Afrique du Nord aux plages de Normandie (Editions Heimdal, Bayeux 2017; 238pp., maps, illustrations). This is the French-language edition of Unter Rommels Kommando; Von den Wüsten Nordafrikas bis an die Strände der Normandie (see entry below with Reisner as first-named author). The manuscript was written by Hans Höller, who served in Normandy as a 21st Panzer Division officer, and edited by Markus Reisner and Andreas Hartinger. Early chapters describe Höller’s childhood, his military service in North Africa during 1941-2 (where he was wounded twice), and his posting to the ‘Schnelle Division West’ – which later became 21st Panzer Division – in June 1943. Pages 100-12 cover Höller’s experiences during pre-invasion training and pp.113-97 deal with the campaign itself. The remainder of the book takes the story to October 1944, when Höller was captured by U.S. forces, and describes his subsequent experiences in captivity. The text is supported by many maps and other images, some of them from the author’s personal collection.

Höller, Hans and Reisner, Markus (trans. Cherrier, Paul): “’Nach 70 Jahren wieder da’: Le retour du Leutnant Hans Höller en juin 2014”, in Normandie 1944 Magazine, Number 28, 2018, pp.76-87. This French-language article describes the return to Normandy in 2014 of a German veteran from the 1944 campaign, Hans Höller. Höller was a member of 21st Panzer Division and the article includes information about some of the battles in which he was involved (especially at Bénouville on D-Day and during Operation ‘Goodwood’ on 18 July).

Kurowski, Franz: Panzer Aces II – Battle Stories of German Tank Commanders of World War II (Stackpole Books, Mechanicsburg 2004 edition; 492pp., illustrations). This is a book of heroic tales about German tank commanders during the Second World War. One of them, Hermann von Oppeln-Bronikowski, commanded 21st Panzer Division’s tank regiment in Normandy. Pages 421-86 describe his wartime career.

Luck, Hans von: Panzer Commander: The Memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck (Praeger Publishers, 1989; ix + 355pp., illustrations). This war memoir was written by a 21st Panzer Division officer who fought in Normandy throughout the campaign. Early chapters describe the author’s pre-war life and his experiences from 1939 to 1943. Chapters 14-17 (pp.156-210) focus on the period 1943 – August 1944, during which the author commanded 125th Panzergrenadier Regiment (and other divisional elements) in combat against Allied forces. The book sheds light on 21st Panzer Division’s role on D-Day and during the first week of the campaign, as well as during Operation ‘Goodwood’ (18-20 July).

Möbius, Ingo (Ed.) and Halm, Günther: Ein Grenadier entscheidet eine Schlacht (self-published, Chemnitz 2012; 385pp., maps, illustrations). This is the German-language memoir of Günther Halm, who was awarded the Knight’s Cross when he was only nineteen years old and serving in an anti-tank unit in north Africa. Later, Halm was commissioned and sent to France to join 21st Panzer Division as a staff officer in a panzergrenadier battalion. Pages 282-309 describe his experiences in Normandy. Halm was captured on 19 August 1944 and the rest of the book describes his experiences in captivity and his post-war life. An English-language edition of the book (Desert Knight: The Memoirs of Leutnant Günter Halm, Knight’s Cross Holder, Panzergrenadier: From El Alamein to Normandy, ed. Schafer, Robin and Doyle, Peter) was due to appear in 2019 (Frontline Books). However, at the time this bibliography was finished (2022), it had not yet been published.

Perrigault, Jean-Claude: “Souvenirs d’un vétéran de la 21. Panzerdivision, Herbert Hanish, 2./Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 200”, in 39/45 Magazine, No.192, 2002, pp.10-14. This French-language article describes the experiences of a young wireless operator who was a member of 21st Panzer Division’s assault gun battalion in Normandy. The piece pays close attention to a battle that took place east of the River Orne on 11 July.

Perrigault, Jean-Claude: “Leutnant Hans Höller, vétéran de la 21. Panzer-Division”, in 39/45 Magazine, No.236, 2006, pp.30-3. This heavily-illustrated French-language article provides information about a German officer and the 21st Panzer Division unit that he served with in Normandy.

Perrigault, Jean-Claude: “Gefreiter Werner Kortenhaus, un de ceux du Panzerregiment 22, 21.Panzerdivision (1944)”, in 39/45 Magazine, No.289, 2011, pp.12-17. This French-language article provides biographical information about a soldier who served with 21st Panzer Division in Normandy, and who later wrote a history of the division (see section 2.9b.(ii). above.).

Perrigault, Jean-Claude: “Leutnant Hans Höller, vétéran du Panzergrenadier-Regiment 192”, in Normandie 1944 Magazine, Number 01, 2012, pp.82-91. This French-language article provides biographical details of a junior officer who served with 21st Panzer Division in Normandy. It is illustrated with photographs from the officer’s personal collection.

Reisner, Markus and Höller, Hans: Unter Rommels Kommando; Von den Wüsten Nordafrikas bis an die Strände der Normandie (Verlagsbuchhandlung Stöhr, Wien 2012; 384pp., maps, illustrations). For details of this book’s contents see the 2017 French-language edition, Sous les orders de Rommel, with Höller as first-named author.

Rymen, Carl: Two Steps Forward: The Parachute Regiment, historical elite or imaginary puissance? A case study of the 8th Parachute Battalion, its German adversaries and the 4th Parachute Battalion (Travelogue 219, Toronto 2020; iv + 362pp., maps, illustrations). Most of this book is about two British airborne units, one of which fought in Normandy. But it also contains a chapter (pp.276-301) in which the author attempts to analyse the age, military experience and attitudes of personnel (mostly officers) who belonged to German formations that fought against the British battalion during summer 1944. 21st Panzer Division was one of these formations, and the chapter includes some interesting demographic information and personal details collated from primary sources and German war memoirs.

Verwicht, Alain: “Le Major Alfred Becker et la Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 200; rappel”, in Panzer Voran! Number 30, 2006, p.36. This short French-language article provides basic biographical information about Major Alfred Becker, who led 21st Panzer Division’s assault gun battalion in Normandy. It also discusses the organisation and equipment of the unit that he commanded.

2.9e. Battle accounts and other sources:

2.9e.(i). Anti-invasion preparations:

‘Deception.’ This intelligence report is based on captured documents. It describes various tactical deception measures recommended for use by 21st Panzer Division’s personnel after it enters the fighting. The instructions date from 1943. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.50, issued 25 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/221).

‘Planned Movement of 21 Panzer Division.’ This group of maps shows the routes to be taken by a 21st Panzer Division battle group to various destinations in Brittany and Lower Normandy, depending on the precise location of the invasion. The battle group included about half the division’s combat elements. The plans are dated 17 May 1944. See SHAEF Intelligence Notes Number 15 (22 June 1944), UK National Archives, WO 219/5226.

‘Plans and Exercises of 21 Panzer Division.’ This is a short summary of captured documents relating to pre-invasion planning by 21st Panzer Division. The report sheds light on the formation’s intentions in the event of Allied airborne and amphibious landings in north-west Europe. See SHAEF Intelligence Notes Number 16 (29 June 1944), UK National Archives, WO 219/5227.

‘Operational Employment of 21st Panzer Division.’ This report summarises the proposed use of Battle Group ‘Rauch’, according to instructions issued by 21st Panzer Division on 11 May 1944. See British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.5, issued 9 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/220).

‘March Groups of 21 Pz Div.’ This report, based on captured but undated documents, clarifies the composition of combined arms battle groups assembled by 21st Panzer Division for a pre-invasion exercise. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.12, issued 17 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/220).

‘21 Pz Div – Battle Group Maempel.’ This report is based on a captured document dated 8 May 1944. It identifies the components of Kampfgruppe Maempel and the possible coastal defence role of some 21st Panzer Division units. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.15, issued 20 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/220).

Information about the transfer of fifteen Panzer IV tanks from the Panzer Lehr Division to 21st Panzer Division in late May 1944 can be found in a well-informed and nicely illustrated thread on an internet discussion forum. For details, see http://www.network54.com/Forum/571595/t ... 333+enigma.

For information about the location and capacity of divisional fuel facilities on the eve of the invasion see section 1.2.2.3. above, entry under ‘POL dumps.’

2.9e.(ii). Battles near Caen in June and July:

Details of the post-invasion activities of 192nd Panzergrenadier Regiment’s 2nd Battalion, based on documents captured at Cambes on 15 June, are in 3rd (British) Infantry Division’s Intelligence Summary No.9 of 15 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/410).

Lodieu, Didier and Wirton, Philippe: “Combats dans le triangle d’Escoville (2e partie)”, in 39/45 Magazine, No.211, 2004, pp.6-17. This French-language article is the second in a short series (unfortunately, I did not see the first part) that describes combat between British and German troops east of the River Orne from 16-18 June. The article sheds light on several engagements involving 21st Panzer division’s tank regiment and its 125th Panzergrenadier Regiment. Particular attention is paid to a short-range engagement on 18 June that saw a British self-propelled anti-tank gun and a Panzer IV destroy one another.

Interesting material about 21st Panzer Division’s role in helping to defend the Chateau de la Londe in late June can be found in interrogation and other reports contained in 3rd (British) Infantry Division’s Intelligence Summaries No.17 (23 June), No.21 (27 June) and No.22 (28 June), all of which are in the UK National Archives, WO 171/410.

Six-figure grid references for the locations of thirty-three Panzer IVs belonging to 21st Panzer Division, which were knocked out by the British during the opening weeks of the Normandy campaign, are in 3rd (British) Infantry Division’s Intelligence Summary No.35 of 12 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/410).

‘German recovery of British equipment and subsequent use.’ This British intelligence report quotes from a 21st Panzer Division news sheet dated 16 July, in which members of the division’s assault gun battalion are credited with recovering one British Sherman tank and three seventeen-pounder anti-tank guns after a battle at Colombelles five days earlier. One of the anti-tank guns, and the Sherman, were subsequently put back into an operable condition. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.51, issued 26 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/221).

‘Ground survey of the results of an attack by heavy bombers on a German tank concentration (B.A.U. Report No.22)’ (28pp., maps, illustrations). Among other things, this report deals with damage inflicted on a tank company belonging to 21st Panzer Division by an Allied bombing raid on 18 July 1944. For further information, see Chapter 2, section 3.2.1.

For further information about 21st Panzer Division’s involvement in opposing Operation ‘Goodwood’ in mid-July, see Chapter 2, section 3.2.2.2., especially entries under ‘Bernage, Georges and Benamou, Jean-Pierre’, ‘Bernage, Georges and Wirton, Philippe’, ‘Daglish, Ian’, ‘Moore, Perry’ and ‘Verwicht, Alain.’

2.9e.(iii). Fighting during August:

‘Notes on visit of officers of GSI 8 Corps to Pt 309 and Bois du Homme, afternoon 2 Aug 1944.’ This interesting intelligence report sheds considerable light on a disastrous counter-attack carried out by 21st Panzer Division elements on the morning of 1 August. See Appendix B to Part II of British 8 Corps’ Intelligence Summary No.34, issued 2 August 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/287).

NOTE: Section 4.3.3. refs included here:

4.3.3. 315th Funklenk Company (Panzer-Kompanie 315 (Funklenk)):

This Borgward IV unit was attached to 21st Panzer Division on D-Day. It was renamed and withdrawn from action in late June. It appears that in addition to its Borgwards, at the start of the invasion the company also operated a number of ‘Goliath’ demolition vehicles. For more information about this type of vehicle, see Chapter 1, section 2.7.1.

4.3.3.1. Primary sources:

‘Demolition vehicles – cable and radio controlled.’ This is an early intelligence report about 315th Funklenk Company’s organisation and equipment. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary (ISUM) No.5, issued 9 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/220). See also Part II of Second Army’s ISUM No.6, issued the following day, for additional information about the same unit (also WO 171/220).

‘315 Pz Coy (FKL).’ This interrogation report provides information about 315th Funklenk Company’s organisation and equipment. See Part II of First Canadian Army’s Intelligence Summary No.14, issued 19 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 179/2605).

‘Fmn emblems - 315 Independent Assault Gun Company.’ This short intelligence report notes the presence of abandoned Borgward IVs and their control vehicles near Mouen, west of Caen, and describes the unit sign painted on these AFVs. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.36, issued 11 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/221).

Three interrogation reports of members of this unit can be found in the UK National Archives. They provide interesting information about the organisation and equipment of the unit, and how its vehicles were supposed to be used in action. See WO 208/3590 (SIR 337), WO 208/3621 (PWIS(H)/2), and WO 208/3622 (PWIS(H)/22).

See also section 2.9c.(ii). above, entry under ‘220 Pz Engr Bn.’

4.3.3.2. Secondary sources:

See section 4.3.2.2. above, entry under ‘Deprun, Frédéric.’

For further discussion of 315th Funklenk Company vehicles lost at Mouen in late June, see viewtopic.php?f=47&t=247859.

ADDITIONAL REFERENCES:

From section 1.3.1.2. ('Tank tactics and the achievements of German armour in Normandy'):

‘Docs of 4/100 (22) Pz Regt.’ This British intelligence report notes that according to a captured German document, the authorised ammunition load for a Panzer IV belonging to 21st Panzer Division’s tank regiment was 47 High Explosive and 40 Anti-tank rounds (the latter including 10 hollow charge plus 15 apiece of APCDC and AP 40). See Part II of British Guards Armoured Division Intelligence Summary No.5, issued 7 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/376). See also entry below under ‘Methods.’

‘Methods.’ This British intelligence report notes that according to a prisoner from 21st Panzer Division’s tank regiment, the number of shells carried in his tank during defensive fighting was 30 High Explosive and 56 Anti-tank rounds. See Part II of British Guards Armoured Division Intelligence Summary No.8, issued 15 July 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/376). See also entry above under ‘Docs of 4/100 (22) Pz Regt.’

From section 1.3.7.2. (‘Panzer Signals’):

‘German reports on British interference with their R/T nets.’ This is a translation of a report produced by 21st Panzer Division’s signals unit on 25 July. It describes various cases where the British had broken into German signals nets to give false orders (e.g. during German counter-attacks), as well as other examples of enemy interference with wireless traffic. The report was forwarded to many units by Army Group D at the end of July, along with a reminder not to use wireless telegraphy while units were moving to a new location. The documents were among a large quantity of papers captured from 326th Infantry Division during Operation ‘Bluecoat.’ See Appendix A to Part II of British 8 Corps’ Intelligence Summary (ISUM) No.42, issued 10 August 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/287). The material is reproduced in Part II of British Second Army’s ISUM No.69, issued 13 August 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/222).

From section 1.3.7.3. (‘Panzer Logistics’):

‘POL dumps.’ This report is based on a captured document from early June 1944. It identifies the location, capacity and code-names of two fuel dumps used by 21st Panzer Division. The document is interesting in several ways, not least in clarifying the distances between facilities of this kind and the combat units that they supported. See Part II of British Second Army’s Intelligence Summary No.19, issued 24 June 1944 (UK National Archives, WO 171/220).

From section 4.1.1. (Assault gun material):

‘Sturm Geschütz [sic] Abt (Sturm Geschütz Brigade) – Assault Gun Battalion (Assault Gun Brigade): From original German document’ (MIRS/Apprec/MAR/68/44, 5 September 1944). This British intelligence report provides a detailed summary of German assault gun tactics as described in a captured document. Although it is not stated explicitly, the original document describes the employment of 21st Panzer Division’s assault gun battalion. The report also discusses other captured documents relating to the use of Sturmgeschütze in Normandy. The report is in the UK National Archives, WO 208/3180.

Sheldrake

Re: 21 Panzer Div in Normandy missing sources

Post by Sheldrake » 21 Dec 2021, 12:37

This is all brilliant and diligent research.

But is there no place for the hisoriography of the founding of the Division which is bound up with Albert Becker and his patron Edgar Feuchtinger? My interpretation is that the New 21st Panzer Diviison was based on Schnell Brigade West, itself the product of Becker's scap to AFVs factory manned by the refuse from the Atlantic wall. The whole story is like somehtign from Allo Allo , Catch 22 or Kellys Heroes. Becker is able to withdraw his old soldiers from the Eastern Front in exchange for an SP battery... Feuchtinger manages to dodge Panzer Division commander school. The part Feuchtinger's mistress plays in the war effort... His recruitment of talented by slightly dodgy subordinates von Luck (Jewish girlfriend) Opplen Brokonski (Drunk?)

This is story that deserves to be told with the footnotes - the human dimension.

Is there a place for the primary sources for these tales?

Simon Trew 1

Post by Simon Trew 1 » 21 Dec 2021, 15:39

Thanks for the feedback, Sheldrake, much appreciated.

It's tricky trying to draw the line between what to include and what to omit - or, at least, I find it so. My focus is on the actual campaign in Normandy, and although the first (substantial) chapter of the source guide is about items that deal with German defensive strategy and the development of the Atlantic Wall in Lower Normandy from early 1942 onwards, the other 8 chapters are about events between 6 June and 31 August 1944. Insofar as chapters 3, 4 and 5 are concerned (these deal with high-level staffs, armoured formations and infantry formations respectively - though this is a bit of a simplification), I'm trying to keep the sources focused on the campaign itself. I would entirely agree with your implicit point, which is that the background history (i.e. what German formations did before they fought in Normandy) establishes context and enhances understanding of performance from D-Day onwards. But the source guide is big enough already (certainly exceeding 500,000 words with more to come) and so I'm cautious about 'going backwards' too far into any specific formation's history, for fear of making the guide even bigger and extending the demands on my own time and other resources. I'm trying to strike a balance by including sufficient sources (most obviously, things like divisional histories) that allow investigation of what happened to a particular formation or unit before D-Day, but I'm not including everything.

I guess this is a bit of a long-winded way of saying that although I'd like to include more stuff about Becker etc., if I did that for 21st Pz Div, I'd feel obliged to do it for other units too. And so the source guide - which has already taken me far longer than I originally intended - would never actually appear! Still, if others want to build on what I manage to create, by including the sorts of things to which you refer, then I would only applaud the effort.

Thanks again for your comments,

Simon

stg 44

Post by stg 44 » 21 Dec 2021, 20:05

Sheldrake wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 12:37
This is all brilliant and diligent research.

But is there no place for the hisoriography of the founding of the Division which is bound up with Albert Becker and his patron Edgar Feuchtinger? My interpretation is that the New 21st Panzer Diviison was based on Schnell Brigade West, itself the product of Becker's scap to AFVs factory manned by the refuse from the Atlantic wall. The whole story is like somehtign from Allo Allo , Catch 22 or Kellys Heroes. Becker is able to withdraw his old soldiers from the Eastern Front in exchange for an SP battery... Feuchtinger manages to dodge Panzer Division commander school. The part Feuchtinger's mistress plays in the war effort... His recruitment of talented by slightly dodgy subordinates von Luck (Jewish girlfriend) Opplen Brokonski (Drunk?)

This is story that deserves to be told with the footnotes - the human dimension.

Is there a place for the primary sources for these tales?
"Combat History of the 21. Panzer division" by Werner Kortenhaus covers a lot of that.

pintere
Financial supporter

Post by pintere » 23 Dec 2021, 00:42

Looks like you’ve done a pretty thorough job of covering the 21. Panzer-Division in Normandy! Hope your work continues to go well.

Sam Wren

Post by Sam Wren » 30 Dec 2021, 00:33

Simon,

I have the 39/45 article which I will send directly. There is a magazine by Ysec Editions called "Batailles" which have some articles on 21.PD. If you don't already have these I can send you a list of what they have done so far.

Sam Wren

Post by Sam Wren » 30 Dec 2021, 01:44

BATAILLES
No 29 - La 27th Armoured Brigade contre la 21.Panzerdivision by Ludovic Fortin
No 31 - La 27th Armoured Brigade en Normandie (2) by LF & Tiger contra ecossaise: la bataille de Colombelles by Yves Buffetaut
No 32 - La 27th Armoured Brigade a Goodwood by LF
No 42 - Le Kampfruppe von Luck au Combat by YB
No 50 - La 21. Panzerdivision franchit la Seine by Thierry Chion
No 60 - Le Baukommando Becker et les chars français modifies (1) by YB
No 61 - De la Schnell-Brigade a la 21.Pz.Div. by YB
No 63 - Les Tetrarch de la 6th Airborne contre les Hotchkiss de la 21.Pz.Div. by YB
No 64 - Sword Beach by LF
No 76 - Operation Charnwood by LF
No 85 - La formation de la 21.Panzerdivision; La 21.Panzerdivision face au debarquement & Un mois en enfer, la 21.Panzerdivision du 7 juin au 5 juillet 1944, all by YB

I wonder if Feuchtinger's court martial file survived? Also, it is rumored that he was agent of the Stasi so info may still be available in the Stasi records (https://www.stasi-unterlagen-archiv.de/ ... dividuals/), but it appears that you have to be a close relative to view these files.

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 30 Dec 2021, 18:44

FWIW, I consider YB one of the worst French authors about German armor out there.

His Normandy book on that subject is full of mistakes, outdated information and gives the impression to have largely been googled together.

Simon Trew 1

Post by Simon Trew 1 » 31 Dec 2021, 12:13

Sam,

Many thanks for the suggestions from 'Batailles'. I'll get back to you on that.

The Feuchtinger thought is a fascinating one. It didn't even occur to me. I wonder if any other AHF user can shed light on the matter?

Best,

Simon

stg 44

Post by stg 44 » 01 Jan 2022, 17:17

Simon Trew 1 wrote:
31 Dec 2021, 12:13
Sam,

Many thanks for the suggestions from 'Batailles'. I'll get back to you on that.

The Feuchtinger thought is a fascinating one. It didn't even occur to me. I wonder if any other AHF user can shed light on the matter?

Best,

Simon
The Kortenhaus book has some details. He had a South American girlfriend who was a night club performer in Paris who he apparently had snuck away to be with on June 5th-6th. When he was ordered back to his post he brought her with and basically left command up to his regimental commanders. Later on during Falaise he effectively had abandoned his command and told them to fend for themselves. Later on he was caught for his involvement in black market activities and that is ultimately what led to his court marshal.

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 23 Nov 2022, 11:13

This week I read Hans Hoeller's memoir: D-Day Tank Hunter: The World War II memoirs of a frontline officer from North Africa to the bloody soil of Normandy Paperback – 25 Mar. 2022 https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Day-Tank-Hun ... C79&sr=8-1 This seems to be an English translation of the work mentioned earlier, but a jolly good read.

CRV17987

Post by CRV17987 » 01 Feb 2023, 18:08

It is obvious that you have spent considerable time documenting these items. I would suggest several items to your list:

1) An Article by James Barker, "Beckers Monsters: German hybrid artillery and Operation 'Goodwood'". The article appeared in volume 10 of the Imperial War Museum Review. In the article he also references the diary and the photographic and film collections in the Imperial war Museum - Photo collection is entry is 8401-20, the film entries are primarily before D-Day.

2) In the Bundesarchiv at Freiburg - there is an entry MSG 2 - 12750. These are documents pertaining to Becker during his war years. Based on descriptions in other literature, I believe that it is the Becker Diary (although I would not consider it a diary). Included in these documents, we see Becker's soldiers book and award citations, after action reports in the Netherlands, summary of activities on the Eastern Front, Correspondence with Albert Speer's office for converting French vehicles and a summary of the Normandy Campaign.

3) on Youtube - there are entries concerning the Normandy compaign - One particular useful set is the British War College's presentation on operation Goodwood. Others are German newreels concerning Rommel's Inspection of the 21st Panzer Division shortly before D-day and the action of 21st Panzer Division during D-Day

CRV17987

Post by CRV17987 » 01 Feb 2023, 18:22

Forgot to include this in my previous post.

I do have a copy of 39/45 magazine No. 210 containing the first part of the Lodieu and Wirton article: “Combats dans le triangle d’Escoville (1e partie)”

CRV17987

Post by CRV17987 » 02 Feb 2023, 20:16

One other source you may want to include is Niklas Zettering book "Normandy 1944, German Military Organization, Combat Power and Organizational Effectiveness". He has a chapter on the 21st Panzer. What is also interesting is his extensive reference to archival documents, both the Bundesarchiv and Nara (US Archives)

Sam Wren

Post by Sam Wren » 04 Feb 2023, 09:59

CRV, are sure about that BAMA file number (MSG 2 - 12750)? It doesn't pull up anything on the https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/invenio/login.xhtml website.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”