Stunned - original documents

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Thegirldon42

Stunned - original documents

Post by Thegirldon42 » 05 Jun 2022, 02:04

Posted here a couple of years ago and this kind forum helped me with identifying medals etc for a pic of my Dad who served in the Wehrmacht. I didnt know much about his service except for what I could see in the pics. My mother who was 88 passed away last year and I am just now going through her items.

Stunned to find these documents- his original wehrmact joining in 1938, his document for award of the Iron Cross, his award for being injured x 3 and receiving the silver injury award. Most interesting was his certification and discharge papers in 1945 issued by the French. I now know he was in the 3rd Pzanzer unit- grenadier Regiment 12.

Shocked to discover that he was married during the war and discharge states Widower. I had no idea .

The documents were in a file that he submitted to the German government post war yet they denied his pension , "as he was injured in 1939 and there are no further records".
I always wondered why he immigrated and never looked back.

Today was enlightening and again, I wish I had asked the right questions.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”