Wish to learn what unit was; 4./ Fuss. Schwdr. a.a. ?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
dpast32

Wish to learn what unit was; 4./ Fuss. Schwdr. a.a. ?

Post by dpast32 » 19 Jun 2022, 14:51

Good Morning Folks, Could anyone here assist me in determining the function of the last, & final unit entry on the left hand page of the Web roads as shown below ? I've been under the impression that this Obergefrieter was assigned to & served primarily with a Signals Unit. However, he final assignment entry appears to be with an Fussilier Squadron a.a., whatever the 'a.a.' refers to I have no clue whatsoever ? Could this particular unit have been an sub group within the 34th Signals Battalion, primarily to serve as an protection force for the Signals Troops while they were performing their duties ? As always, any information on this issue will be very much appreciated !! THANK YOU !

Best regards, Dom P.

lauer6.jpg

hucks216

Re: Wish to learn what unit was; 4./ Fuss. Schwdr. a.a. ?

Post by hucks216 » 20 Jun 2022, 12:37

The A.A. would most likely refer to Aufklärungs-Abteilung - see here:

Aufklärungs-Abteilung 34

Aufgestellt am 26. August 1939 aus dem Kavallerie-Regiment 6. Im Winter 1942/43 wurden die Reiter-Schwadronen an den Reiterverband Böselager abgegeben und die Abteilung in Radfahr-Abteilung 34 umbenannt. Ab dem 1. April 1943 wieder in Aufklärungs-Abteilung 34 umbenannt. Ab dem 1. September 1943 dann in Divisions-Füsilier-Bataillon 34 umbenannt.

(https://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gl ... .htm#Aufkl)

dpast32

Post by dpast32 » 20 Jun 2022, 18:17

THANKS 'Hucks216', I appreciate it !! I should have known you would probably have replied ! This above Page is via my recently obtained Wehrpass, which in my own opinion pertains to an somewhat historic event. The 'Korsun Pocket Breakout' of early 1944, as undertaken by Army a group South. The individual in question had just recently assigned from what I believe to have been an Signals Unit, to the 34th Division's 'Recon' Unit, known to the Germans as an Fussilier Unit, if I'm indeed correct in this assumption ? Even though I only recently purchased another Wehrpass, I simply couldn't pass this one up, if even only because of it's historic significance. My previous one was to yet another KIA, this time from the extremely horrific back & forth skirmishes & battles to take the very strategically important Railway Hub City of Rzhev, which was only around 130 Km from Moscow. ( aka 'The Rzhev Slaughter House' ) I of course have much translation to be performed n my latest 'Pass', but hopefully I'll manage to get it sorted out ! THANKS AGAIN,

Best, Dom P.

dpast32

Post by dpast32 » 20 Jun 2022, 23:02

ImageOK Gents, I'm including my most recent Wehrpass here for any comments & or information anyone here may wish to share with me on it. Although I've had a fair amount of success in researching the particular action in which he was killed, I haven't as of yet been able to locate his KIA Card, & or his Burial location ? As always, any information on this will be very much appreciated !! THANK YOU

Best, Dom P.
Attachments
lauer7.jpg
lauer6.jpg
lauer3.jpg
lauer2.jpg
lauer.jpg

dpast32

Post by dpast32 » 20 Jun 2022, 23:05

Well, I seemingly can't get them all up at once, so I'll try to add the remaining pages via another Reply ?
Attachments
lauer9.jpg
lauer8.jpg
lauer11.jpg
lauer10.jpg

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 20 Jun 2022, 23:17

Volksbund confirms his location of death Tinowka. His body has never been recovered but his name is recorded in the memorial book in the Kyiv War Cemetery.

dpast32

Post by dpast32 » 20 Jun 2022, 23:54

THANKS My Friend, you're very kind assistance is always much appreciated !! So therefore, am I correct in assuming that he wouldn't have a Death Card on file ? I haven't really even started to document this one, alter I did consider myself fortunate to have found one related to such a battle with extensive documentation. And lastly, does the last page, # 51 pertain to the Pass being forwarded to his Family ?

Dom P.

dpast32

Post by dpast32 » 21 Jun 2022, 00:21

Hucks, I've tried to pull him up on the Cemetery you noted, yet I'm not getting any hits ? Could you please provide the Link for me when you have time ? THANKS

Dom

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 21 Jun 2022, 00:23

He doesn't seem to have a death card listed but that might just be because it has become lost over time.
Page 51 is a bit of admin 'tidying up' with the Wehrpass being closed out (abgeschlossen) by the district office. It would have been passed on to the family after this.

dpast32

Post by dpast32 » 21 Jun 2022, 00:41

THANK YOU Hucks, I really appreciate it !! You have a good night my Friend !

Best, Dom P.

dpast32

Post by dpast32 » 21 Jun 2022, 17:11

Good Morning Everyone, I'm now at the point where I'm compiling this Obergefreiter's final Unit Assignment, & just wish to be certain I have everything correct ? So, based upon what information I have available, his last, & final Unit was as follows. On 16 December 1943, he was Transferred into the 4th Company, 34th Fussilier Squadron, of the 34th Infantry Division, which was of course within Army Group South. He apparently served with them until being K.I.A. on 13 February 1944, in, or around Tinowka, Ukraine / Russia. Unfortunately, it appears as if his Body was never recovered, thereby preventing an formal Burial location, therefore leading to his being listed within the 'Memorial Book' of the Volksbund in Kyjiw -Sammelfriedhof War Graves Cemetery, located in the Ukraine. [ Hopefully I included the Cemetery's correct name ? ] So, I ask if anyone here could please confirm my final Unit assignment assumption, I would be most appreciative !! I also wish to state that without the extremely kind & continued assistance of our own, 'Hucks216', I probably wouldn't have gotten very far at all !! THANK YOU Gentleman, as always, I truly appreciate any & all assistance go receive here on the Forum.

Best regards, Dom P.

dpast32

Post by dpast32 » 21 Jun 2022, 23:01

Hello Guys, I 'think' I've determined the relative duties of the above Wehrpass owners final Unit. Basically, in comparison to a WW2 era U.S. Army Infantry Company, it was in theory the Infantry's Reconnaissance Squadron, not unlike the U.S. 'I &R' Platoon within the basic Infantry Rifle Company ? ( Re: I & R = Intelligence & Reconnaissance ) This Squadron's overall function would to provide immediate forward area recon, & to assess the feasibility of any pending operations chance of success, etc. ? Although I'm not absolutely certain, they may have utilized motorcycles during their recon duties, & definitely are known to have used bicycles, if of course such were available. Naturally, if anyone happens to be somewhat knowledgeable as to these Fussilier Squadrons, I would definitely be interested in hearing from them !! ( Especially pertaining to the Unit's OOB & T.O.&E. related information. ) THANK YOU,

Best, Dom

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 22 Jun 2022, 18:42

For what it's worth, 'A.A.' was used to identify a Füs.Btl. which originated from an Aufkl.Abt. This was done to preserve its history and such battalion could continue to use terminology used by its predecessor in names, ranks and colours.

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 22 Jun 2022, 20:34

jpz4 wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 18:42
For what it's worth, 'A.A.' was used to identify a Füs.Btl. which originated from an Aufkl.Abt. This was done to preserve its history and such battalion could continue to use terminology used by its predecessor in names, ranks and colours.
Add that by 1943-1944 the Aufkläarungs-Abteilung transition to Füsilier-Batallion was pretty much complete and it had lost most of its reconnaissance function and had transitioned to being a reserve infantry battalion for the division. Also note that 4. Kompanie was the heavy weapons company of the Füsilier-Batallion and would have consisted of a headquarters platoon, a heavy machine gun platoon, and antitank gun platoon, and a infantry gun platoon, with a small Troß or supply column.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”