Losses of German equipment on the Eastern Front

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
curiousone

Losses of German equipment on the Eastern Front

Post by curiousone » 03 Aug 2022, 19:32

Hello,

I'm searching for a source of data on German equipment losses on the Eastern Front broken down by years. To be specific, weapons other than tanks and warplanes i.e. guns, mortars and artillery pieces. Is there a work on the Wehrmacht side of the hill comparable to Krivosheev's study on RKKA losses? I'm aware of existence of Waffen und Geheimwaffen des Deutschen Heeres by Fritz Hahn, but as far as I'm informed - this book covers overall losses for specific type of weaponry on every Theater of Operations, if covers at all. I would be grateful for any help!

curiousone

Re: Losses of German equipment on the Eastern Front

Post by curiousone » 25 Sep 2022, 19:08

I have managed to collect some data from NARA rolls T-78 no. 725, T-77 no. 637 and no. 638, if you wanted to know.

2KILFA

Re: Losses of German equipment on the Eastern Front

Post by 2KILFA » 21 Oct 2022, 17:06

curiousone wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 19:32
Hello,

I'm searching for a source of data on German equipment losses on the Eastern Front broken down by years. To be specific, weapons other than tanks and warplanes i.e. guns, mortars and artillery pieces. Is there a work on the Wehrmacht side of the hill comparable to Krivosheev's study on RKKA losses? I'm aware of existence of Waffen und Geheimwaffen des Deutschen Heeres by Fritz Hahn, but as far as I'm informed - this book covers overall losses for specific type of weaponry on every Theater of Operations, if covers at all. I would be grateful for any help!
It would be easier to find out the German equipment losses of all sorts during particular campaigns. Equipment losses will always be high during chaotic retreats and breakouts from the encirclements, which can be further exacerbated by poor weather.
So during the Soviet winter 1941/42 counter-offensive campaign (December 1941- February 1942), the equipment losses of the Ostheer were heavy.
During the Soviet Dnieper-Carpathian Offensive in the Ukraine during the winter-spring of 1944, in conditions of spring mud, the Germans sustained extremely heavy equipment losses, which far surpassed their losses during the 1941/42 campaign, as thousands of tanks, assault guns, self-propelled artillery pieces, motor vehicles of all types, guns of all calibers and so on, were lost, principally through their abandonment in the spring mud, as the muddy fields of Ukraine were littered with colossal number of abandoned metal, as seen in dozens of pictures and footages from that period, which I have.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”