Were 12 German Knights of Malta executed after the July 1944 Bomb Plot?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Sid Guttridge

Were 12 German Knights of Malta executed after the July 1944 Bomb Plot?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 19 Nov 2022 10:51

I recently read that 12 German Knights of Malta, from its Bailliwick of Brandenburg, were among those executed after the July 1944 Bomb Plot. I presume that most of these were army officers. The same source mentioned that von Stauffenburg's family had supplied members to the Knights of Malta for 500 years, though he himself was not one.

Is any of this true?

If so, is there any study of any specific role for the German Knights of Malta as an organiation within the opposition to Hitler?

Many thanks,

Sid.
Last edited by Sid Guttridge on 19 Nov 2022 13:15, edited 2 times in total.

Sid Guttridge

Re: Were 12 German Knights of Malta executed after the July 1944 Bomb Plot?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 19 Nov 2022 12:01

P.S. I notice that two other officers closely associated with the Bomb Plot have connections with the Knights of Malta - Philipp von Boeselager and Georg von Boeselager. The latter's son, Albrecht, was the third most senior Knight of Malta when he was at the centre of a row with the Vatican, which led to the forced resignation of the Order's Grand Master at the Pope's direct intervention in 2017. In international law this completely undermined the claims of the Knights of Malta to be sovereign.

Sid Guttridge

Re: Were 12 German Knights of Malta executed after the July 1944 Bomb Plot?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 19 Nov 2022 13:11

I have just scrolled through a list of the Knights of Malta's Baillwick of Brandenburg and was able to pick out 13 members who were complicit in the July Bomb Plot against Hitler, all bar one of whom were officers. Of these, eight were executed between 23 July and 20 April 1945. The other five survived undetected. My survey may not be comprehensive and does not include von Stauffenburg or the Boeselager brothers, who links to the Knights were more indirect.

However, the list also reveals that the German knights were far from universally anti-Nazi. One, von Pannwitz, was executed as a war criminal and at least two others were tried for war crimes. Many others served the Nazi regime loyally in senior positions in the army, navy, SS and diplomatic corps.

Cheers,

Sid

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”