Captured artillery

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Peter89

Captured artillery

Post by Peter89 » 29 Dec 2022, 11:31

Hello guys,

I was thinking about the military equipment captured by the Germans between 1938-1941, particularly that of artillery. What percentage of the German artillery was from captured stocks and where were these guns deployed?
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

EwenS

Re: Captured artillery

Post by EwenS » 29 Dec 2022, 15:13

A lot of captured Soviet 76.2mm were reworked and fitted to Marder II & III tank destroyers in 1942/43 which were then used as far afield as Russia & North Africa.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marder_II
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marder_III

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 30 Dec 2022, 09:56

I was rather thinking about the numerical ratio between German-made and captured stocks. The only numbers I'm familiar with are the Czechslovak Kriegsbeute. But Poland, Denmark, Norway, the BeNeLux, France, Yugoslavia and Greece all had their artillery. Also the BEF was expulsed from the mainland thrice, usually leaving behind their heavy equipment. I am familiar with the quantity of some captured items like torpedoes, destroyers or aviation gasoline, but I am particularly interested in artillery and shells now.
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 30 Dec 2022, 13:03

Peter89 wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 11:31
Hello guys,

I was thinking about the military equipment captured by the Germans between 1938-1941, particularly that of artillery. What percentage of the German artillery was from captured stocks and where were these guns deployed?
I don't know the exact percentages of captured ordnance used by the Germans. However, the use varied depending on the numbers and types of ordnance. Was there enough of a useful enough type to be worth setting up a factory or manufacture ammunition? Did it fill a gap in the German arsenal? Was there enough ammunition?

E,g,
1. After meeting the T34 and KV1 The Germans were desperate to source anti tank guns hthat had greater penetration than ther 3.7cm PAK.

So...
3,712 of the French 75mm M1897 ordnance were fitted to 5 cm PAK carriages as the 7.5 cm Pak 97/38 between 1942-43. With a HEAT round this was as good as any German mid war PAK

Hundreds of captured 76.2mm divisional guns were converted and deployed as 7.62 cm Pak 36(r)

2. The Germans were impressed by the Soviet 120mm mortar, so, hundreds of captured Soviet 120,mm Mortars were pressed into service as the 12 cm Granatwerfer 378 (r) while the Germans developed and introduced their own mortar, the 12 cm Granatwerfer 42

3. The Germans found a use for lots of captured medium and heavy howitzers and cannons as armament for the Atlantic Wall and the troops intended for use in the West. The Atlantic Wall was a shop window project intended to deter an allied landing. The logistic and operational limitations of having a diverse artillery park were irrelevant if the deterrence was effective.

The Germans had past form in using captured equipment. Belgian and Russian artillery pieces were used to thicken up the defences of the Western Front in WW1, A significant proportion of the artillery park at the start of the 1916 Somme offensive were captured pieces with limited ammunition. Here is a link to a picture of some German kannoniers with a Russia 10.7 cm gun https://www.flickr.com/photos/paranoid_ ... 246896525/

#2. Quantity

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 31 Dec 2022, 10:08

Peter89 wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 11:31
A short answer is that this percentage was large and the most diverse captured materiel was employed on all fronts. You can find some specific information including numbers, types and units in files of the general of Heer's artilllery:
https://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/de/ ... rid/zoom/1

Not only the German army used large numbers of captured artillery, but also ammunition for many foreign types was manufactured by German factories.

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 03 Jan 2023, 18:11

Thank you all!

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”