Looking for hour-long videos discussing German successes/failures

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
mft004

Looking for hour-long videos discussing German successes/failures

Post by mft004 » 11 Feb 2023, 15:01

Greetings,

simply put I've got a few weekends up ahead with model painting to do and I'd like something to keep my ears busy. I'm looking for long videos, say 45 minutes or longer (though will be converting to mp3 so I could consider audio podcasts too I guess) where the guy is just talking through or rambling/musing on a particular theatre / year of military operations from the point of view of the German forces there (Heer / Waffen / Luft / Kreigs), looking at successes and failures, lessons learned from it, etc. Obviously I'm looking for hours and hours worth of talk preferably, so if they were to narrow it down to battles for exampe second battle of Kharkov, that would presumably work better.
I have watched the various videos under the group title 'German war files' where various German vehicles / vehicle branches and also arms of service are covered and those were just excellent - all except for 2 of them, the ones on the Tiger programme and Panther programme, which had a different guy talking and he was upset about something, couldn't let it go it seemed. But the other ones by the regular guy, they were excellent. I wouldn't describe those as mainstream documentary, more like a small group's project so something like that might work, or instead the efforts of one guy with a lot of knowledge / interest.
Please do let me know if any suggestions here! My attempts to search say a site like Youtube don't work any more; it keeps trying to make me look at other topics.

KR,
Mark

jpz4

Re: Looking for hour-long videos discussing German successes/failures

Post by jpz4 » 12 Feb 2023, 11:15

There are plenty of long talks on WW2TV: https://m.youtube.com/@WW2TV/streams
Just scroll through the list to find subjects that interest you. Most work pretty well without visuals although it is obviously not ideal

mft004

Re: Looking for hour-long videos discussing German successes/failures

Post by mft004 » 16 Feb 2023, 03:17

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm looking for ones where there's just one guy talking rather than several over a livestream; not a problem if he's musing as part of that talk, it doesn't have to be a rigid presentation or narration, but something more like that. For example there's one channel called 'Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles' and some of his long videos on WW2 aircraft are very good, often referring to the wider context in terms of say Luftwaffe doctrine and adaptation. In his case he's coming at the topic from a technical background and he follows a rough script but he's still open to new ideas and is aware of bias etc. Something like that, though probably focusing more on ground exercises / battles / campaigns.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”