I. Pz Regt. 3 StabsKp. - Normandy 2 Aug 44

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Tom from Cornwall

I. Pz Regt. 3 StabsKp. - Normandy 2 Aug 44

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 04 Mar 2023, 18:27

Hi,

The other Panzer regiment fatality I found for the 2 August 1944 in Normandy was:
Obgefr. Fritz Bauer - I.-Pz. Regt. 3 Stabskp. - bei La Landelle - 2.8.44.jpg
I think La Landelle is probably the hamlet about 30 km south of Flers - does that sound right? My understanding is that 2 panzer Division was moving across to the US front about this time.

Regards

Tom

Sam Wren

Just a guess

Post by Sam Wren » 05 Mar 2023, 01:32

I have noticed, among the units that I know most about, that a significant number of the cards have locations of death that match a Hauptverbandplatz. This makes sense because some of the wounded evacuated to the H.V.Pl. would later die there.

One of the other difficulties with these cards are that the Germans sometimes spelled the place wrong and also some of the towns have been renamed since the war or the name was modified (Pontfarcy on the modern Michelin map spelled Pont-Farcy). There are also many towns and villages in Manche and Calvados that share the same or very similar names.

At this time 1./Pz.Rgt. 3 was retreating from Tessy-sur-Vire via Pontfarcy. South of Pontfarcy is Landelles-et-Coupigny. It could also be La Landelle much farther to the east, but that seems to be less likely given the distance.
Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 5.03.47 PM.png

Michael Kenny

Re: I. Pz Regt. 3 StabsKp. - Normandy 2 Aug 44

Post by Michael Kenny » 05 Mar 2023, 09:30

The IGN site allows you to search all of France for specific names. A search for 'La Landelle' gives 4 pages of hits and its number 3 on page 1 for the location south of Flers
Screenshot_467Q.jpg
https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/carte?c= ... malink=yes

Tom from Cornwall

Re: I. Pz Regt. 3 StabsKp. - Normandy 2 Aug 44

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 05 Mar 2023, 10:15

Sam, Michael,

Thanks for the map references, very useful and much appreciated.

Regards

Tom

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”