Brigades

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
yadmas

Brigades

Post by yadmas » 15 Mar 2023, 09:06

In reading WW2 youll read “the germans…or russians…committed, for example, “3 infantry divisions, 2 infantry brigades and an armored brigade”. in this context what is meant by an infantry brigade? i understand armored brigades. not infantry. its not part of normal order of battle outside of england…. are they just special independent groups? or divisions without all the supporting staff, just combat formations?

also…in frontline fighting what is meant by a “switchline”? like, “the german switchlines were only 10 yards away”..

thank you kindly.

sam

Art
Forum Staff

Re: Brigades

Post by Art » 15 Mar 2023, 20:53

What army are you talking about? The German Army had some number of independent infantry (or equivalent) brigades:
https://www.axishistory.com/axis-nation ... stria/heer
The Soviet Army had hundreds of them:
http://teatrskazka.com/Raznoe/BoevojSos ... -1943.html

Other combatants (for example Hungary and Finland) had them as well. Exact organization was, of course, different in different armies.

yadmas

Re: Brigades

Post by yadmas » 16 Mar 2023, 01:02

I meant german and soviet. What i mean is generally, the german army had a division that was broken into 3 regiments. or the soviets had divisions broken into regiments. but the they didnt have, a layer of brigades between division and regiments. like a division is 2 brigades, a brigade is 2 regiments each or whatever. So why or what event created a situation where suddenly a german or soviet infantry brigade exits…. Thanks ill take a look at what you sent. I hope that made sense.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”