How did the Wehrkreis decide which unit to join?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Max Sinister

How did the Wehrkreis decide which unit to join?

Post by Max Sinister » 24 Sep 2023 02:29

Because I'm wondering about Josef Mengele. In our history, Sanitätsersatzabteilung 9 of the Wehrmacht in Kassel, Hesse. But because he (so he claimed) didn't like his drill sergeant (Ausbilder), he decided to join the Waffen-SS instead. The rest is history...

OK, since he lived in Hesse, Wehrkreis 9 would be responsible for him, and I guess he wanted to be a doctor, this wouldn't change.

But what if some other Ausbilder had been responsible for him?

jbroshot

Re: How did the Wehrkreis decide which unit to join?

Post by jbroshot » 24 Sep 2023 06:45

This might be of some assistance. A post WW2 translation by the U S Navy of a German manual, from Internet Archive.

Medical instructions for the classification of registrants with regard to their fitness for military service in wartime

by Germany. Wehrmacht. Chef des Wehrmacht-Sanitätswesens, author

https://archive.org/details/101710526.n ... v/mode/1up

Max Sinister

Re: How did the Wehrkreis decide which unit to join?

Post by Max Sinister » 27 Sep 2023 23:00

Thanks, but this document is about their physical fitness only. And this isn't about his physical after all.

Lexikon der Wehrmacht didn't have anything about him either. Even his biography didn't give more details about this than those I mentioned.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”