2. Pz Gren. Rgt. 5 - where were they November 1943?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
rbbthle

2. Pz Gren. Rgt. 5 - where were they November 1943?

Post by rbbthle » 15 Oct 2023 21:44

Good evening,

I am trying to find out more details about the 5th SS-Division "Wiking", more precisely the 2. Pz. Gren. Rgt. 5 (as it is written on a Zentralkarteikarte from Bundesarchiv).

Does anybody know in which area this Regiment was fighting around November 1943? I have information about an Unterscharführer of that Regiment getting wounded around 28.11.1943 (that is the date of the Verletztenmeldung) and then getting transported to the Reserve-Lazarett in Teschen/Cieszyn (Poland), arriving there on 7.1.1944 (at least that's the date on the Zentralkarteikarte).

Where can I find more information about this unit's whereabouts, what battles they participated in, and where they were fighting around October/November 1943? I appreciate any help!

Greetings
Rabbit
Last edited by rbbthle on 16 Oct 2023 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

Art
Forum Staff

Re: Division Wiking / 2. Pz Gren. Rgt. 5 - where were they November 1943?

Post by Art » 16 Oct 2023 09:08

Near Cherkasy, Ukraine

rbbthle

Post by rbbthle » 16 Oct 2023 09:33

Thanks! Any hint to where I can find more information about that? I am new to the research in military movements and battle formations, so I don't really know where to look for stuff like that a bit more pointedly.
Where can I find stuff like documents or a fight report? Maybe a hint to a NARA-roll or something. I checked some in search for a lucky hit, but did not find anything on that Regiment... any hints where to look?

FransN

Post by FransN » 16 Oct 2023 09:57

2./SS-Pz. Gren. Rgt. 5 was in Nov. 1943 part of 3. SS-Pz. Div. "Totenkopf". Her SS-Panzergrenadier-Regimenten were numbered 5 ("Totenkopf") and 6 ("Theodor Eicke"), respectively.
The two SS-Panzergrenadier-Regimenten of 5. SS-Pz. Div. "Wiking" were numbered 9 ("Germania") and 10 ("Westland"), respectively.
Are you sure that said Zentralkarteikarte mentions the "Wiking" Division? If so, it raises confusion for reasons said above.
Best regards,
Frans

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 16 Oct 2023 13:16

rbbthle wrote:
16 Oct 2023 09:33
Thanks! Any hint to where I can find more information about that? I am new to the research in military movements and battle formations, so I don't really know where to look for stuff like that a bit more pointedly.
Where can I find stuff like documents or a fight report? Maybe a hint to a NARA-roll or something. I checked some in search for a lucky hit, but did not find anything on that Regiment... any hints where to look?
Wolfgang Vopsersal 'Soldaten,Kämpfer, Kameraden' Band IVa: Abwehr am Dnjepr / Abwehr- und Angriffskämpfe im Raum Kriwoi-Rog / Kämpfe nordwestlich Krementschug

or

Band IVb: Rückzugskämpfe bis in den Raum Balta / Abwehrkämpfe im Raum Balta und Rückzugskämpfe auf den Dnjestr / Auffrischung im Raum Bacou-Roman / Kämpfe im Raum Tagrul-Frumos / Verlegung nach Polen

Jan-Hendrik

rbbthle

Post by rbbthle » 16 Oct 2023 16:21

@FransN: You are right, I might have made wrong assumptions here. For clarification, I upload the Zentralkarte.

What I know is that said person was trained in Arnheim, Bataillon "Germania", end of 1942. That's why I assumed he later got assigned to the 5th Division "Wiking". But now, I am unsure if that assumption is correct... hm.

@Jan-Hendrik: Thank you for the recommendations!

@all: I edited the title of the thread as I am now unsure of the division of the regiment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”