- New member
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 17 Nov 2023 03:24
- Location: Salem, Oregon
However out of this number only 3,068,000 or 57.68% are CONFIRMED to have died. The remaining 2,250,531 or 42.32% are only declared dead in legal proceedings/records, thus making them PRESUMED dead.
However, by Branch, casualties between 1939-1945 are as follows:
Heer (Army): 4,202,000
Luftwaffe (Air Force): 433,000
Kriegsmarine (Navy): 138,000
Volkssturm (Militia): 78,000 (Mainly at the Battle of Berlin, 1945)
Remaining casualties are non-armed combatants such as Hitler Youth, Political Leaders and others.
As for year of the war w/ the most casualties, it was 1944. In 1944 the Wehrmacht & Waffen-SS had sustained a combined total of over 1,802,000 casualties.
Deadliest month had to have been August, w/ over 348,960 casualties sustained.
Eastern Front/Theater was the deadliest, w/ ~1,233,000 or 68.42% of the casualties having been sustained.
- Forum Staff
- Posts: 6926
- Joined: 04 Jun 2004 19:49
- Location: Moscow, Russia
German top military offices did it for a start:
https://web.archive.org/web/20161025105 ... stats.com/
These figures couldn't be full and accurate for the last months of the war.
- Posts: 100
- Joined: 25 Oct 2023 14:28
- Location: USA
William Manchester in "The Arms of Krupp" gave a number of about 3,000,000 military and civilian dead 1939-1945
COnsidering that German Population was about 69,000,000 in 1939...casualites were about 3 to 5 % of total population