Tigers in the Leibstandarte during Kamenets-Podolsk Pocket

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Wolfkin

Tigers in the Leibstandarte during Kamenets-Podolsk Pocket

Post by Wolfkin » 28 May 2002, 02:05

I have been researching the Leibstandarte Tigers. But I am unclear about the times from January 1944 until April 1944.

In early March 1944 most of the Tiger Kompanie was withdrawn to form sSSPzAbt 101. Apparently, Michael Wittmann and most of the others went with the Kompanie. Heinz Kling, the first Commander of the Leibstandarte Tigers had already been tranfered to command the II/SS Panzer Regiment 1, in February, I think.

But, apparently about 4 or so Tigers remained behind with the Leibstandarte. These fought with the Leibstandarte through the Kamenets-Podolsk Pocket.

Does anyone know who the crews of these Tigers were? I only have one name and that is Rottenfuehrer Warmbrunn. Does anyone know anything about this guy?

I am also wondering about Helmut Wendorff. He led the Leibstandarte Tigers after Kling and Wittmann. Was he still with the Leibstandarte Tigers during Kamenets-Podolsk, or was he withdrawn with Wittmann?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Wolfkin

JC

Leibstandarte in Kaments-Podolsk pocket

Post by JC » 28 May 2002, 15:06

According to Michale Wittmann and The Tiger Commanders of The Leibstandarte , Obersturmführer Wendorff commanded this group which received 10 new Tigers on 5 March. Also mentioned as being Tiger commanders who were present are: Rottenführer Bobby Warmbrunn, Rottenführer Aumann, Oberscharführer Karl Müller, Unterscharführer Kleber, Unterscharführer Seifert, Unterscharführer Hans Rosenberger and Unterscharführer Wilhelmi.

Hope this information is of some help.

Jeff

Wolfkin

Post by Wolfkin » 02 Jun 2002, 03:47

Thank you very much, J.C.!!

That information helps a great deal! I always wondred if Wendorff was at Kamenets-Podolsk, now it looks like he was. It is good to get some of the names of the other Tiger Commanders, you don't hear a lot about those guys. Thanks again!

Wolfkin

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”