Lets build: Leibstandarte 1945...

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Timo

Post by Timo » 27 Feb 2004, 08:14

SS-Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 1 LSSAH 01.1945
Kommandeur: Hstuf. Emil Wawrzinek (verw. 02.01.1945), Ostuf. Hans-Martin Leidreiter
(IIa) Adjutant: Ustuf. Siegfried Stiewe
(IVa) Verw.fhr: Ostuf. Franz Bartnick
(IVb) Arzt: Hstuf. Walter Hann (Dr. Med.)
TFK: Ustuf. Rudolf Kupka

Stabskompanie
Chef: Ostuf. Heinz Goltz

1.Kompanie
Chef: Ustuf. Wilhelm Rentsch

2. Kompanie
Chef:

3. Kompanie
Chef: Ostuf. Hans-Martin Leidreiter (bis 02.01.1945), Ustuf. Adolf Haschberger († 07.01.1945)

4. (schw.) Kompanie
Chef: Ostuf. Heinz Wägner

Versorgungskompanie
Chef: Ostuf. Fritz Reuß

Ustuf. Karl Mäder
Ustuf. Günther Thielsch
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
SS-Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 1 LSSAH 02.1945

Kommandeur: Hstuf. Emil Wawrzinek
(IIa) Adjutant: Ustuf. Siegfried Stiewe

Stabskompanie
Chef: Ostuf. Heinz Goltz

1.Kompanie
Chef:

2. Kompanie
Chef: Ustuf. Gerhard Korreng

3. Kompanie
Chef:

4. (schw.) Kompanie

Versorgungskompanie

Ustuf. Arno Dietz
Ustuf. Gerhard Falk
SS-Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 1 LSSAH 03.1945

Kommandeur: Hstuf. Emil Wawrzinek († 01.04.1945)
(IIa) Adjutant: Ustuf. Siegfried Stiewe († 03.1945), Ustuf. Kurt Schröder († 01.04.1945)

Stabs- u. Versorgungskompanie

1.Kompanie
Chef: Ostuf. Alfred Gerlach († 01.04.1945)

2. Kompanie
Ustuf. Artur Gerheim

3. Kompanie
Chef:

4. (schw.) Kompanie
SS-Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 1 LSSAH 04.1945

Kommandeur: Ostuf. Hans-Martin Leidreiter
(IIa) Adjutant: Ustuf. Fritz Lentz

1.Kompanie

2. Kompanie

3. Kompanie
Chef:

4. (schw.) Kompanie
SS-Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 1 LSSAH 05.1945

Kommandeur: Hstuf. Fritz Löschnigg
(IIa) Adjutant: Ustuf. Fritz Lentz

Chef: Uscha. Börnsen

1.Kompanie

2. Kompanie

3. Kompanie
Chef:

4. (schw.) Kompanie

Note 1: The 1. Kompanie was a Panzerspäh-Kompanie c, but I haven't seen any info that confirms that it received its Schützenpanzerwagen Sd.Kfz. 250/9. Since May 1944 the Kompanie had been waiting for its vehicles at the Truppenübungsplatz Wildflecken and they didn't see action in Normandy or the Ardennes. However, the info that Kompanieführer Alfred Gerlach was KIA in Austria (01.04.1945) implies that at least elements of this Kompanie, I would say without Sd.Kfz. 250/9, were rushed to the front during the closing stages of the war.

Note 2: Ustuf. Siegfried Stiewe was KIA in March 1945. Because he went missing during a recce mission at the Raab Front near Komarom, this must have been during the last days of that month (27.-31.03.1945)

Note 3: Ustuf. Karl Mäder, Ustuf. Günther Thielsch, Ustuf. Arno Dietz and Ustuf. Gerhard Falk are listed by John Moore as members of the SS AA 1, but I have no clue about the Kompanien they were assigned to.

Note 4: The Stabskompanie and the Versorgungskompanie were combined into one Kompanie due to lack of vehicles. During the retreat from Hungary one Zug was equipped with horses.

Note 5: It seems plausible that Knittel was ordered back to the SS AA 1 in April 1945 to replace Wawrzinek who was KIA. This would explain why August Hollenbacher received orders to pick Knittel up and drive him to Austria. Hollenbacher picked him up in Neu-Ulm hospital on 30.04.1945. They tried to reach the Division by car through the Lech Valley but ran into American troops and surrendered on 04.05.1945.
Last edited by Timo on 08 Mar 2004, 12:54, edited 4 times in total.

Timo

Post by Timo » 27 Feb 2004, 08:21

Roger Griffiths wrote:Timo,

I have just tried to load 1SSPD Zustandsberict listing for January 1945 (Probably date towards end of the month) but it will not take xls files. If you send me e-mail address, that should be OK. There was no 1st January 45 Return and 1 March was last one.

Roger
Thanks Roger,

I will add the info when I get back from the BA-MA

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 27 Feb 2004, 15:24

How can i use some informations from very well known Waffen-SS book?There is some useful information about late February 1945 LSSAH.We should respect to copyright so?

Tolga

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 29 Feb 2004, 18:18

Something about 1.Company/LSSAH:

16.12.44-to end of january 45:

Interim company CO-Ostuf.Edgar Gevelhoff
Platoon CO-Ustuf.Wolfgang-Dietrich Jugler
-Ustuf.Freiwald
-Schultz

16.2.45-8.5.45:

Company CO-Ostuf.Wolfgang-Dietrich Jugler (from 19.2.45 to 16.3.45)
-Hscha.Fritz Ritter (after Jugler was WIA)
-Ustuf.Bormann (from 20.4.45)
Platoon CO-Helmut Schaper
-Ustuf.Bernhard Vaal
-Ustuf.Bormann

Stabsscharfuhrers of 1.Company in 45:

Heinz Sander (nickname "Schnüffel)-to March 45
Fritz Ritter

Source:Twelve Years With Hitler

Cheers/Juha

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 29 Feb 2004, 19:39

Hmm so i troubled at the one point because i will use a resource but they also credited these information somebody else.To solve this trouble,i would just post it.

Tolga

Wolfkin

Post by Wolfkin » 02 Mar 2004, 06:15

Hello Tolga!

I think it is ok to post information from a book as long as one states the source. I think the copyright law is mostly in regards to posting pictures and such. This is from what I understand. Can someone confirm this?

Cheers,

Wolfkin

Conacher1941

Post by Conacher1941 » 03 Mar 2004, 04:02

The Panzer strength in February 1945 during Operation Southwind in Hungary:

PzKpfw IV- 21 operational out of 30 on hand
PzKpfw V- 25 operational out of 35 on hand
PzKpfw VI- 19

The Panzer strength on March 6, 1945 during Operation Spring Awakening in Hungary:

PzKpfw IV- 14
PzKpfw V- 26
PzKpfw VI- 4
Jagdpanzer- 15
Wolfkin, I was just curious as to whom these tank strengths pertain: I SS Panzer Korps, or LSSAH?

Cheers,
...Conacher

Wolfkin

Post by Wolfkin » 03 Mar 2004, 05:08

Hello Conacher!

The Panzer strengths are for the 1st SS Panzer Division Leibstandarte. Although the Tigers are Tiger II of sSSPzAbt 501, which was attached to the Leibstandarte during this time.

Cheers,

Wolfkin

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 05 Mar 2004, 13:31

And Ernst Barkmann reports:

“The 4.Panzerkompanie was securing the loading of the II. Pz. Abt. “DR”, with minimal fuel left in the tanks. The Russians pushed across the rail lie to the north at the moment the company, as the last unit to be loaded, found itself in a trap without fuel.
With great difficulties we secured the required fuel from the closest airfield and reported to the nearest Heer Armeekorps with the ten Panthers of the 4.SS Pz.Kp.
During the same night we were sent into a counterattack with an armored unit of the Heer and lost two Panthers during the withdrawal. The unit of the Heer was annihilated during the counterattack. Left to our own resources, we forded a shallow river, crossed a railroad embankment and pushed through the enemy spearheads to establish contact with the 1. SS-Panzer-Division “LAH”, engaged in rear guard action, and reported to the Panzerregiment.
Obersturmbannfuhrer Peiper wanted to take over our eight Panzers. His whole regiment consisted of only ten Panzers ready for action. He had plenty of crews without Panzers.
We were supposed to fight our way to our own units without our Panzers. He was dreaming! We would not hand over our Panzers . Then he lectured us that he usually treated his guests gently but in this situation he could not show us any special concern and we would get to know the fierceness and morale of his unit the hardway. My company leader, UntersturmfuhrerKnocke, nudged me.
During the nextdays, until 28 March, we proved to our good Obersturmbannführer Peiper that the fighting spirit of the Panzers of “Das Reich” was not second to that of the “LAH” and we became close friends. We were then securing the withdrawal to the left and right of the main route,always engaging the enemy, and unbelieveable and dangerous situations occurred. We held positions on hilltopsduring the day, were written off and forgotten, and had to fight our way back through towns occupied by the enemy in order to link up again with our troops.
When one platoon became bogged down in a firefight, the other came to its aid and helped fight its way out. During an attack by nine T-34s in the early dawn, enemy tanks pushed past us to the left and right and attacked us from all sides. The bravest T-34 broke through us right on the main route and rammed one of our Panthers before my gunner blew its turret from its hull. We were successful in knocking out all nine T-34s. All anti-tank action took place without support from the infantry; we were the fire fighters. Despite a damaged gun barrel we knocked out a Josef Stalin tank from a position on a back slope and towed two of our Panthers, which had taken hits from it, from the battleground. The enemy pushed back the “LAH” northwest of Lake Neusiedler in the direction of the Vienna woods.
After two Panthers, my own included, were disabled by direct hits, we blew both up in sight of the enemy. We said goodbye to Jochen Peiper and reached Panzerregiment 2 “DR” in the Esterhazy area on 28/3/1945. We had long been written off."
http://www.geocities.com/alkantolga

Best
Tolga

johnwilliamhunter

Post by johnwilliamhunter » 07 Mar 2004, 07:54

Hi,

Thanks Timo for starting this topic I will watch it with much interest.

If I knew how to post an Image I would post a reproduction of the LSSAH 5.3.45 oganisation chart I have made. (If someone else could post it i could send them a copy by email.) I am also working on the chart dated 12.2.45. I am also trying to construct an OOB for March '45.

What date did Otto Kumm take command of the division? according to "The Leibstandarte" by Ralf Tiemen the date is 15.02.1945 but on the internet the date is given as 06.02.1945.

Cheers,

John.

Timo

Post by Timo » 08 Mar 2004, 12:51

I'm back. Thanks for all the input so far. I will add more detail later this week.

Regarding copy right issues, I agree with Jon. Posting information from a published source is okay, but allways give credit to the source of the information and don't post whole chapters.

Roger Griffiths

Post by Roger Griffiths » 08 Mar 2004, 16:43

According to Die Waffen SS eine dokumentation by Dr Klietmann, 6 Feb 1945.

Roger

Wolfkin

Post by Wolfkin » 09 Mar 2004, 07:08

Hello guys!

Sorry that I haven't posted anything for a few days, I have been busy with work. Back working 12 hour shifts!

Hey Tolga! That is a very interesting quote from Barkmann! I never knew that a Panzerkompanie of Das Reich was with the Leibstandarte during this time! Very interesting! Thanks for posting that information!

Well, I will return in a few days and post some more.

Cheers,

Wolfkin

johnwilliamhunter

Post by johnwilliamhunter » 09 Mar 2004, 07:41

Hi,

Thanks for the reply Roger,

Also according to "The Leibstandarte IV/2" by Ralf Tieman, Wilhelm Mohnke was transferred to the Führer Reserve on January 13th, does any know how the transition of command occured? The book also lists this date for his promotion to SS-Brigadeführer which is given on the internet as January 30th also saying he was transferred to Berlin after this date.

Patrick Agte also uses the 15th of February '45 as the date Kumm took command, without giving any source.

Tiemann writes; "On 15 February 1945 Brigadeführer und Generalmajor der Waffen SS Otto Kumm took command of the 1st SS Panzer Division in the assembly area." again no source is given. (p.184)

Any Comments?

John.

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 09 Mar 2004, 13:08

Wolfkin wrote: Hey Tolga! That is a very interesting quote from Barkmann! I never knew that a Panzerkompanie of Das Reich was with the Leibstandarte during this time! Very interesting! Thanks for posting that information!
Yes,this is the very interesting fact,a split battle of Panzer Regiments "Das Reich" and "LSSAH".I only know that battles near Vienna they fought together.Maybe they did it in Kursk,i don't know details.Fedorowicz published a book titled,"Drama Between Budapest and Vienna, The Final Fighting of the 6. Panzer-Armee" by Georg Maier.Its so expensive for me at the moment, $135.I hope to get it:)

Best
Tolga

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”