Hetzer Crews

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Brian Von Stauffenberg

Hetzer Crews

Post by Brian Von Stauffenberg » 20 Mar 2002 15:14

Were Hetzer crews trained Tank Crews that were enlisted as Tank Crew or were they Infantry that were trained to use the Hetzer?
I ask this because they were classed as part of an Infantry Division and not Panzer Division.
Thanks
Brian. :roll:

Timo

Re: Hetzer Crews

Post by Timo » 20 Mar 2002 20:37

Brian Von Stauffenberg wrote:Were Hetzer crews trained Tank Crews that were enlisted as Tank Crew or were they Infantry that were trained to use the Hetzer?
I ask this because they were classed as part of an Infantry Division and not Panzer Division.
Thanks
Brian. :roll:

They were no tank crew and no infantry. They were Panzerjägers, trained in specific use of Hetzers, StuGs, Marders, etc. Men who were send to the Panzerjäger training schools were send there after basic training when they enlisted, or send there from their (field) unit. From a (field) unit they were send for a wide variety of reasons: to replace fallen men, because they were unfit for their current task, because they looked promising as Panzerjägers, for training on a new type of vehicle, etc., etc.

After training they were send to a Panzerjäger unit. This could be a Panzerjäger-Kompanie in an Infanterie-Division (or a Volksgrenadier-Division), a Panzerjäger-Abteilung or a StuG-Abteilung in a Panzergrenadier-Division or Panzer-Division, or an independant (Korps attached) StuG-Abteilung.

rkoy

well

Post by rkoy » 20 Mar 2002 21:01

after having been in a running and fighting hetzer in an reenacting group,they were very small guys cause that little afv is small!

David C. Clarke

Hey rkoy

Post by David C. Clarke » 21 Mar 2002 00:05

How do you fit four grown men into that thing? We in the Heroic Red Army used to tie one to the engine deck of our T-34/85's and use it as a spare. How's the engine power? Plenty of pick-up or is the Hetzer a little slow off the mark? Cheers, Commissar D :twisted:

Brian Von Stauffenberg

Thanks Timo

Post by Brian Von Stauffenberg » 21 Mar 2002 00:44

Very Good Info you have provided, another question comes to mind, Did SS Divisions have Hetzers assigned to them? :idea:

Timo

Re: Thanks Timo

Post by Timo » 21 Mar 2002 00:51

Brian Von Stauffenberg wrote:Very Good Info you have provided, another question comes to mind, Did SS Divisions have Hetzers assigned to them? :idea:

My pleasure Brian,

At the moment I am not aware of SS-Panzerjäger-Kompanien equipped with Hetzers, but I'll look into this. A suggestion is to post a question about this on the Missing Links Axis forum, were they have by far the best vehicle related knowledge:

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/47207

Make sure you'll use your real name as they are very strict in these things overthere.

Erich

SS Abteilungs

Post by Erich » 21 Mar 2002 01:11

Brian :

SS Jagdpanzer Abteilung 560

SS Jagdpanzer Abteilung 561

Both served on the Ost Front......

E

MadJim

crews

Post by MadJim » 21 Mar 2002 15:10

I can't speak for hetzer units specifically, but at least some panzerjaeger started in towed anti tank gun units. They were later transferred individually or upgraded to self propelled anti tank guns.

madjim

Timo

Re: crews

Post by Timo » 21 Mar 2002 15:38

MadJim wrote:I can't speak for hetzer units specifically, but at least some panzerjaeger started in towed anti tank gun units. They were later transferred individually or upgraded to self propelled anti tank guns.

madjim

...in which case they were send from the (field) Division to panzerjäger training school for training with the vehicles, like I mentioned in my earlier posting in this thread.

Also, in a self propelled Panzerjäger-Abteilung one Kompanie remained equipped with towed guns.

Erich

Towed units......

Post by Erich » 21 Mar 2002 16:45

most likely would of been the 7.5 cm Pak 40's along with a possible Fla Kompanie of 2cm or 3.7cm towed weapons.

E

Timo

Re: Towed units......

Post by Timo » 21 Mar 2002 17:05

Erich wrote:most likely would of been the 7.5 cm Pak 40's along with a possible Fla Kompanie of 2cm or 3.7cm towed weapons.

E

A complete FlaK company in a Panzerjäger-Abteilung or Sturmgeschutz-Abteilung? I doubt that. Do you have any KStN that confirms this assumption? Usually the Stabskompanie of the Abteilung had just a FlaKzug (platoon).

Just my 2 cents,
Timo

Erich

I will

Post by Erich » 21 Mar 2002 17:36

check my sources Timo. Yes it may well have been a Zug. Was checking through my 1st Panzerjäger materials and found a RK winner Walter Kühn who served on 2cm waffen in the 3rd Komapnie. Now I gathered that the 3rd Komapnie in this case was made up of all Flak waffen and the 1st Kompanie were Stug III's and 2nd Kompanie was made up with 7.5cm weapons. I have the confirmation from two sources- vets-, including Walter Kühn himslef of the two mentioned, that being the Stug and 7.5cm. It is obvious too that late war developments did not enable all Stug/Hetzer Abt's to have the Flak complement. You are correct though, not too assume anything, and in the case of Hetzers they may have been the fullfillment of the special Jagdpanzer Abteilungs only without towed or fla weapons.

E :wink:

Dan Feltmate

Post by Dan Feltmate » 21 Mar 2002 19:51

MadJim

ok

Post by MadJim » 21 Mar 2002 21:15

Gee Timo I didn't realize you were the only one allowed to provide an answer in this forum.... :wink:

Timo

Re: ok

Post by Timo » 21 Mar 2002 21:19

MadJim wrote:Gee Timo I didn't realize you were the only one allowed to provide an answer in this forum.... :wink:

Oh gosh, did I hurt poor little MadJim's feelings? Man, I was only referring to the fact that you repeated info from my earlier reply.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”