The Gran Sasso raid: The Liberation of Mussolini

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
CogCalgary

Re: The Gran Sasso raid: The Liberation of Mussolini

Post by CogCalgary » 16 Apr 2023 23:30

Upping that finders fee to 500.
Taken up close from about six feet,still only half of his face.Toni Schneider or Bruno V.Kayser.

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 17 Apr 2023 06:37

Please ban this Spammer!

Jan-Hendrik

CogCalgary

Re: Skorzeny's team at Gran Sasso

Post by CogCalgary » 17 Apr 2023 14:10

PMJH wrote:
14 Oct 2009 09:59
Hi again Bob,

Is it correct that you have not been able to find a positive ID on Gfoller? This would be rather strange, as he is a confirmed DK Gold recipient !

As per the naming in photos of participants by Skorzeny in his books, my member is identified a few times as Anton Gfoller who is stated as having achieved the rank of SS-Untersturmfuhrer before the end. As you have found though, his (Skorzeny) names of members are often changing and rather unreliable.

However, I pursued this possibility with Deutsche Dienststelle Berlin by sending them copies of many photos and documents I have, for an opinion on the identity of my member. I was subsequently assured by them that my member is not Anton Gfoller.

The information they gave me on Gfoller was born 02.11.1922 in House B. Schladming Bez. Grobming/Steiermark and confirmation of his DK Gold award details on 14.11.1944. They also confirmed that official records show that he went into American captivity on 05.05.1945, out of which he escaped on 10.03.1947. There is also mention of an Adam or Toni Gfoller wanted for war-crimes in Denmark.

My member said he also fought on the Oder Front (with Skorzeny) and achieved the rank of SS-Untersturmfuhrer. He fought in the Battle of Berlin and was at the Schultheiss Brewery on 2nd May 1945 and witnessed Ambassador Walter Hewel commit suicide.

My member has a Wehrpass issued 23.01.1945 which has been confirmed by the official records in the Deutsche Dienststelle (record dated 21.08.1944) that he was a Luftwaffenhelfer born 24.01.1928. That makes him 15 years old at the time of the rescue. The Germans being sticklers for records won’t communicate any further with me concerning anything that challenges their official records.

My member has a document card dated 04.12.1950, for Bund der Opfer der Sowjet. KZ. / Berlin, which indicates imprisonment 14.05.1946 (Sachsenhausen) and escape 10.03.1950. There is also what seems to be a prison pass photo with B.V. 15/2/85 written on the bottom of it (and I don’t know the significance of that).

In the book For Germany The Otto Skorzeny memoirs on page 190, my member is pictured during the rescue, walking on the right hand side of Skorzeny, turning around and looking backwards (and as you can see is very short in statue).

Anyway, it looks like another dead-end for me. If you would be kind enough to provide anything further, I would be most appreciative.

Regards,
The man turned around in the Pic on pg 190 of For Germany does not have webbing on his helmet.
In the Pic of Musso exiting the hotel we can see two SS men.The taller man standing next to Soletti and the short man with the helmet webbing once again trying not to be seen second from the right in this photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CogCalgary

Post by CogCalgary » 17 Apr 2023 14:16

Pg 190 For Germany
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CogCalgary

Re: Skorzeny's team at Gran Sasso

Post by CogCalgary » 30 Sep 2023 19:44

Bob Forczyk wrote:
19 Nov 2008 13:26
Sid,
Thanks. One of the things I'm going to bring out is that because he lacked any kind of commando training (and was physically out of shape after two years of bear-swilling in Berlin), Skorzeny needed help to climb even a modest 1.5 meter high platform on the side of the hotel at Gran Sasso. I'm also bringing up the fact that he sent Otto Schwerdt and several other SS men to Denmark in '44 to commit assasination and arson. These guys were not commandos. However, in order to look up the SS records, I need full names and a couple of SS men I only have last names.
Bob
At least one of them was a trained commando.Assination and arson are exactly what I was told by his daughter, and he told me face to face that he was in Denmark.But not for very long he said.I also believe that Sarin was used in a home not heated by a fireplace.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”