Karstjager Pics

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 02 Dec 2005, 12:06

Francy, no need to apologise, I was just pointing out it would have saved you time!
Always nice to see these pics wherever they are - I think they are great!
MG

Bergmolch

Re: Books

Post by Bergmolch » 02 Dec 2005, 12:58

Mark V. wrote:
Drapeau Noir wrote:Extremely interesting!!!!!!!
Just found it.

http://daggers.infopop.cc/groupee/forum ... 88#7571088

Cheers
T
Very NICE!! Thanks for posting it, Tom!

Best Regards
Marko
You wellcome Mark!
Nice avatar!!!!

Cheers
T

BKG

Post by BKG » 22 Jun 2006, 18:11

Hello Drapeu Noir, very interesting thread here !
I dont live too far eaither from described location. I was wondering if you could supply more detailed informations,in order to visit the areas and shot some pics
thanks

PS - feel free to contact me via pm if you wish

BKG

Post by BKG » 23 Jun 2006, 20:30

Drapeau Noir wrote:
A couple of years ago Stefano Di Giusto pin pointed the exact location of these pictures in another forum (missing-lynx). This series of photos was apparently taken along the old railway line from Udine to Tarvisio some 20-30 kilometers south of Tarvisio near the village Dogna. The two officers (with LSSAH and DF cuff bands) were parliamentaries from KG Harmel sent to the British to inform that the KG will no longer block the British advance into Carinthia.

This also shows some inconsistencies regarding KG Harmel, while some sources (Michaelis, Tieke) claim the formation fought at the Drau bridgeheads south of Villach. On the other hand Rauchensteiner (Der Krieg in Österreich) says the KG fought at Gemona-Ospedaletto-Venzone before being pulled back to Austria where it surrendered.

Hope somebody can share more info on this obscure KG.
Mark
Hi Mark,
Some italian books and Pier Arrigo Carnier's"Lo Sterminio Mancato"(Edizioni Mursia)as well tell that:

1)All the Ospitaletto's karstjagers were killed in action and buried under the rocks with TNT:they could still there.

2)during the german retreat(in the same days,around the last days of april and the first days of may)a Karstjagers commando killed some civilians and partisans and burned some churches in Alesso/Somplago,near the Lake of Cavazzo(20 km west of gemona)

must be said that is really strange for one reason:there are two main road that lead in Austria. The first one from udine and then gemona(see point 1) thru the Canal del Ferro till'Tarvisio/Villach.The second one from gemona turn left,cross the Tagliamento river and thru Somplago/Lake of Cavazzo(see point 2) goes to Tolmezzo and then you got two chance to reach the border with Austria:right you follow for Paluzza and then Kotschac Mauthen-Oberdrauburg(see Globocnick case)or you can turn left and you gonna find Forni Avoltri and then the border close to Sappada/Plodn.

THe KG Harmel who surrended to English followed the first one....

Who were them(2)??They were from KG Harmel??

There are around 12 books written by Marco Pirina but unfortunately for the most of you they are in Italian language:they tell about EVERY fact happen in Carnia/Tarvisio/Lower Austria Border during the years '43-'45 and they mention about the Karstjager's Somplago/Alesso massacre(they mention about a Brandeburger's antipartisan action around Carnia/Tarvisio mountains who started from Arnoldstein/Villach as well)

If you need some information about these books you can ask them [email protected] (They are the books producers)

If the pics were taken 20 km south of Tarvisio my map isn't correct:Dogna isn't too far from Malborghetto(on my map as well)

Max respect to all and sorry for my english.
T.
hello, can you mention on which of the many books there is reference to this episode?
tks

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 11 Nov 2006, 00:30

Gosh this comparison thing just keeps running, I am amazed how the captions in photos mix people up and how it takes a long time to sort out. Hehe. I am glad that new Karstjaeger book came out, still need to aquire it for the shelf though!
Merwald was recently identified as Weiland again from that sequence of surrender/blindfold shots on Feldgrau. At least someone was able to remember he was correctly ID'd here and other interested parties were able to confirm.
ttfn
Matt

_das_reich

Re: Karstjager Pics

Post by _das_reich » 30 Jul 2008, 08:16

Is anyone able to identify the other SS-Obersturmführer? The one pictured on the right?

Also thought I might mention that the book on the Karstjager by Sergio corbatti and Marco Nara will be coming out in a French language version in November 2008:

http://www.amazon.com/KARSTJAGER-1943-1 ... UT3DUOK14C

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 11 Aug 2008, 17:30

So far no one appears to have identified the chap on the right of the photo, accompanying Prasch down the road to agree terms of surrender. I have found what seems to be another shot taken before or after this showing the stream of parked vehicles. I think this is leading me to narrow down the AFPU unit which took the shot, then hopefully I shall be able to trace what was written on the back or as captions for the shots, apart from the Tarvisio locale.
ttfn

BKG

Post by BKG » 11 Aug 2008, 17:41

HI Matt, I think it's SS-Obersturmführer Eric Kübandner

Bergmolch

Post by Bergmolch » 11 Aug 2008, 22:07

Hi my friends,

The guy in shorts is Oswin Merwald (not Prasch), the guy on the right is not Kuehbandner for sure.....but you'll know soon! :wink:

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 16 Aug 2008, 20:47

Golly am I bad. I forgot he had been re-identified in a thread over a year ago and I hadn't updated my index card on that subject! Yes of course it is Merwald.

Hope you manage to fix the other officer, I don't have the same interest in him because he isn't wearing the BKA ;)

best wishes
Matt

Bergmolch

Post by Bergmolch » 16 Aug 2008, 21:47

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”