Rgt "Der Führer" association

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Rgt "Der Führer" association

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 18 Aug 2002, 02:55

The Regiment "Der Führer" association veteran reunion this autumn will be their last. Due to age of many members the association is being dissolved. They always had the best reunions, as a researcher the friends I made and those I met provided great memories that will last a lifetime.

Best
Mark Yerger

HaEn
In memoriam

Re: Rgt "Der Führer" association

Post by HaEn » 18 Aug 2002, 04:56

Mark Yerger wrote:The Regiment "Der Führer" association veteran reunion this autumn will be their last. Due to age of many members the association is being dissolved. They always had the best reunions, as a researcher the friends I made and those I met provided great memories that will last a lifetime.

Best
Mark Yerger
Perhaps it is time to revamp Odessa, but give it a new goal: gathering of the last of the Mohikans in one organization. HN

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 18 Aug 2002, 19:30

Mark

The relentless march of time is catching up with many similar orgs-both allied and axis, and in Britain many who are folding are giving their collective histories, works etc to either local or national museums for future posterity. Is something similar happening with German associations etc?

:D Andy from the Shire

LEVE

Re: Rgt "Der Führer" association

Post by LEVE » 18 Aug 2002, 21:52

HaEn wrote: Perhaps it is time to revamp Odessa, but give it a new goal: gathering of the last of the Mohikans in one organization. HN
Darn good idea Dr. HaEn... That's one good reason to revive it's once futile existance and an organization I'd be glad to support.

HaEn
In memoriam

reunion

Post by HaEn » 18 Aug 2002, 22:45

The biggest problem I see is the contacting of various groups. Some are "deep underground" , afraid to be pointed out as criminals again.
There are a few who have regular meetings like the Flemish (treffens) perhaps any of these peole, reading this post could find a way to break the ice. Lastly, we would not want ex-k.z.guards in it. HN.

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 19 Aug 2002, 14:15

Some groups have an archive held by their historian while others do not. It is eventually sold (if held by the historian when he dies), donated to the Bundesarchiv or passes to someone else. I never had problems with contact provided your interest is proven historical interest. They avoid (obviously) loud or low IQ political zealots or people simply after their documents, uniforms or medals. The value was the individuals for fact confirmation, recollections and photo ID help. "Der Führer" was always very scholar oriented and they helped me a great deal. With HIAG dissolved, associations generally became less structured. Also, depending on the political climate, they are bothered by the press. "DF" met in Bavaria for 20+ years then moved to another area following false garbage written in the German press. I'll miss that reunion very much, as a researcher and writter it was inspiring. They appreciated the efforts and work of serious historians. It was also an annual chance to see old friends, many of whom are now gone.

Best
Mark C. Yerger

Alex F.

Post by Alex F. » 19 Aug 2002, 20:02

Mark, I'm a living historian in a group that researches and attempts to recreate the Der Fuhrer soldier in the field. I'd be interested in talking to you about scholarly pursuits along those topics, if you'd be interested.

Best regards

Alex

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 23 Aug 2002, 04:17

Mark,

how many veterans of the Der Fuhrer Regiment still living right now? hope u can post some photos of their reunion..the HIAG was dissolved? i didn't know that..well, i can understand if those veterans would keep a low profile they generally don't want far rightist and neo-nazis to praise and worship them..They only wanted serious historians to record every historical records objectively and non-biased...

regards,

panzermahn

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”