Luftwaffe Field Division

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Custermen

Found one Reference

Post by Custermen » 23 Aug 2002, 06:10

In December 1944 the 20th was briefly reconstituted but quickly converted to the 155. Feldausbildung Division.
Good info. I have never read or heard of the 19th Lw Field Division in Italy. But now knowing the dates, I went to US Army history volume "Cassino to the Alps" and found it in the index. It says that Senger's XIV Panzer Corps took command of the 19th and 20th LwFDs around June 12, 1944. Then later as the XIV ARMY fell back toward the Cecina River, Kesselring transferred the newly arrived 16th SS Panzer Grenadier Division and the 19th Lw Field Division to the XIV Panzer Corps. The 19th Lw Field Division replaced the 20th Lw FD, which went to the X ARMY. The 19th Lw Field Division took a stand on the western coast at Cecina, a town that featured a massive stone castle. The 133rd US Infantry Regiment, and 804th US Tank Destroyer units drove them out of this location.

Haven't found any tie with the HG Division.

Checking my reference "Canadians In Italy", Appdx B lists the 20th Air Force Field Division organization for 12 August 1944 as follows:
XIV Army Group
+ 75th Corps
++ 20th Air Force Field Division
++ 16 SS Panzer Grenadier Division

The same table lists the 155th (Field Training) Infantry Division as "Other German Formations Which Served In the Italian Theatre 10 July 1943 - 2 May 1945"
I see the connection. I'm looking for more Org Tables in my references but don't think I have any.

Thanks for the tremendous help.

Custermen

tyskaorden

Siegfried Ebner

Post by tyskaorden » 23 Aug 2002, 07:56

Custermen,
The card about the death of Siegfried Ebner, says that he was the son of a farmer from Kiesliz or something like that. He was KIA after serving 1 1/2 years in the armed forces at the age of 19 yars and 8 months.

Best regards,
Marcus Karlsson

Richard Murphy

Post by Richard Murphy » 24 Aug 2002, 12:25

Marcus Wendel wrote:The Luftwaffe-Feld-Divisionen were basically infantry divisions made up of Luftwaffe personnell (with the addition of ncos and officers from the Heer if I remember correctly).

/Marcus
Not wanting to be picky, but most of the NCO's and Officers were also Luftwaffe personnel (There is a list of the Heer commanders on the old forum, I've got a print out of it somewhere, but can't find it!).

Regards from the Park,

Rich

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 24 Aug 2002, 13:25

Richard,

I wrote "the addition of ncos and officers from the Heer", I did not claim that all or most were non-Luftwaffe, if you are going to be picky ;-)

/Marcus

de-gouden-ridder

Post by de-gouden-ridder » 25 Aug 2002, 18:07

The Waffenfabre from the luftwaffe ground troops was (I supose) white with a luftwaffe eagle on the chest, so his uniform on foto can't be a luftwaffes uniform. Like someone said before: a uniform from before he was with the luftwaffe groundtroops.

Didn't the luftwaffe groundtroops grown through the war? So it is likely he went to the luftwaffe after his wehrmacht unit had been destroyed or something else

Custermen

Previous Service History

Post by Custermen » 26 Aug 2002, 00:01

So it is likely he went to the luftwaffe after his wehrmacht unit had been destroyed or something else
That seems to be the concensus. Marcus said that he recalled that the Officers and NCO's came to these Luftwaffee Field Divisions from other Heer units. AND many of the photos used in the Death Cards were out-of-date.
So, when they needed a photo for his death announcement, they used one where he was wearing a uniform from his previous Heer unit.

Custermen

Erich

Post by Erich » 26 Aug 2002, 21:58

I do believe that the gent is in Heer uniform or a Jäger regiment before his transfer to a Luftw Feld unit which would have had the gulls over a green collar patch I believe. The feld units were quite weak and were never up to strength, and as had been mentioned were not on par with Fallshirm truppen with leadership nor equipment, although they on most cases had ample supply of pak and flak just the manpower were in short terms as well as armored/wheeled transport. many were using horses as prime movers. many of the units fought well where they could be did not make quite the impact in filling in the wide gaps on the Ost Front.
I do believe that Anthony Munoz has a big book on the Luftwaffe Feld units, volume 1 and there is a volume 2 in the works.

E 8)

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”