Religion persentage in the Waffen SS

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Dan

Post by Dan » 22 Aug 2002, 04:01

Von M, this doesn't answer your question directly, but perhaps you will enjoy it. I found this very moving when I first read it. I provide a few paragraphs
Of the 21 on trial at Nuremberg, the 13 Protestants would be ministered to by Chaplain Gerecke. They were: Herman Goering (Reichmarschall and Luftwaffe-Chief); Joachim von Ribbentrop (Foreign Minister); Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel (Chief of Staff of the High Command of the Wehrmacht); Hans Frick (Governor-General of Poland); Walter Funk (Minister of Economics); Hjalmar Schacht (Reichbank President and former Minister of Economics); Admiral Karl Doenitz (Grand Admiral of the German Navy); Admiral Erich Raeder (Grand Admiral of the German Navy); Baldur von Schirach (Hitler Youth Leader and Gauleiter of Vienna); Fritz Sauckel (Chief of slave labor recruitment); Albert Speer (Reich minister of Armaments and Munitions); Baron Konstantin von Neurath (former Foreign Minister and later Protector of Bohemia and Moravia); and Hans Fritzsche (Radio Propaganda Chief).10

Chaplain O’Connor would serve the four professed Catholic prisoners: Ernst Kaltenbrunner (Chief of SS Security HQ); Franz von Papen (Ambassador to Austria and Turkey); Hans Frank (Governor General of Poland); and Artur Seyss-Inquart (Austrian Chancellor and later Reich Commissioner for the Netherlands).
The rest is well worth reading, and found here

http://www.usachcs.army.mil/TACarchive/ ... urihan.htm

Regards

Dan

Post by Dan » 22 Aug 2002, 04:03

I see my few paragraphs didn't turn out too well.

T.R.Searle

Post by T.R.Searle » 22 Aug 2002, 04:18

ah well it was very interesting I find Dan thanx for posting it :D

so 13 on trial were Protestant,4 were Catholic and in the link you provided 4 refused to see a chaplain.One of them was Hess,didnt he "loose his mind" or something.

T.R.Searle :)

Dan

Post by Dan » 22 Aug 2002, 04:32

Yes, he remains an enigma. I'm dissapointed in Jodl.

I must admit, while the testimony of the Protestant Chaplin is very moving, the Catholic chose the better part of honor. If something is confidential, it is confidential; I'm not much for the "the ends justifies the means" argumentation.

The Protestant Chaplin should not have talked, unless he had specific permision from the defendents.

T.R.Searle

Post by T.R.Searle » 22 Aug 2002, 14:32

I have a DVD in my Unsolved Mysteries set that deals with "The Riddle of Rudolf Hess" havnt watched that one yet but that could prove to be usefull.

But now back to the subject,Waffen SS and religion. Ok I know Sepp was Catholic but what was Paul Hausser and Theodore Eicke?

T.R.Searle :)

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”